Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Jul 2009 (Sunday) 23:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it just me.....

360°
880 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 05, 2009 23:06 |  #1

....but when i go somewhere and there are other photographers using better cameras and lenses( L lenses) i get intiminated and hesitant to take out my xsi with my 18-85is lens....

i feel as if i will be looked down upon

maybe its just stupid, but does this happen to anyone else?

List Of Gear:Canon 5D Mark III---1D Mark III---Canon 5D Mark II---Canon 85 F1.2--Canon 100mm f2.8 macro---Canon 24-70 F2.8--- Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS II---Canon 300mm F2.8---Bunch of pocketwizards

sponsored links
Lazuka
Cream of the Crop
5,639 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 05, 2009 23:07 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

nope, results are more important than looking pro.

I suck at Photoshop.

avbcon12
163 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 05, 2009 23:08 |  #3

Nope, everyone started out small. at least they should have.

50D, BG-E2, 24-70mm f2.8L, 50mm f1.8, 580EX2, 430EX2, PW's etc...

360°
THREAD ­ STARTER
880 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 05, 2009 23:13 |  #4

i just wish i had money to have a "cool" white lens :(

List Of Gear:Canon 5D Mark III---1D Mark III---Canon 5D Mark II---Canon 85 F1.2--Canon 100mm f2.8 macro---Canon 24-70 F2.8--- Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS II---Canon 300mm F2.8---Bunch of pocketwizards

RyanQ
456 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 05, 2009 23:15 |  #5

I do feel the same sometimes. There are couple of times though that my lenses were more useful than theirs. :-D

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jul 06, 2009 00:03 as a reply to  @ RyanQ's post |  #6

360° wrote in post #8230331 (external link)
....but when i go somewhere and there are other photographers using better cameras and lenses( L lenses) i get intiminated and hesitant to take out my xsi with my 18-85is lens....

i feel as if i will be looked down upon

If you're this worried about this, then you have issues that go way beyond what we can do for you here... j/k ;) :D

Don't let it bother you. They're probably more into getting their own shots than to make note of your camera. I shoot from the media pits at a lot of airshows and there are all kinds of cameras there, from the guys with 1D and 1Ds cameras to shooters with XXDs and Rebels.

I shoot with a 40D and a 20D and I've gotten the impression the shooters from the local newspaper or the AP don't really care what kind of a camera I have.

John

NeoTokyo
Goldmember
2,005 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 06, 2009 01:37 |  #7

+1

avbcon12 wrote in post #8230337 (external link)
Nope, everyone started out small. at least they should have.

I usually went up to them and talked to them to see how they were doing, what tips they had to give and just general talk.

There is an older couple that go birding down here in Springfield at the conservation dept. trails and they look to have a couple large/long (Maybe a Bigma?) sigma lenses, not sure what they are, in fact I think they are bigger than the 50-500mm bigma. His body looks like an xxD and hers looks like an XT.

They are pretty stand-off ish and when I tried to talk equipment with them I felt like they thought my 40D and 24-105mm combo was crap. This was after they were done shooting and we were in the parking lot.

I'm not birding so my equipment needs are quite different.

They aren't professional I don't think but they are the only people to ever be like that. I have tried to talk to them several times as there aren't many people out there with DSLR's, film SLR's or Canon anything for that matter.

I have a 1DIII with my current 24-105mm and still don't go birding but I don't think I could get on their "Good" side without a huge lens on the end of the Camera! LOL

So far they are the only people to make me feel like my equipment wasn't worth anything.

Hell today I was taking pictures out of the Ford dealership of some Mustangs (Like I have done many times before) and I am also shopping around for when I do buy another one.

Well some guy or gal (Could have been the guy in the Focus or the family on the E-Class Mercedes) called the cops on me while I was taking pictures.

A nice police officer came out and said someone called saying that we (My wife, my 3 1/2 year old daughter and I) were trying to steal a very nice Pro-charged 03' Mach 1 that was open.

I told him that we were just taking picture and we talked shop for a little bit about Mustangs, chargers, challengers, camaros and so on but he knew right away we weren't steeling the car.

Those people saw I was taking pictures and I don't know if they did it because they just wanted to harass someone that was driving their project that day.

We drove our 96' Mustang out to Friendly Ford that day and it is a green car with silver doors and a black front end. It was stolen and stripped, we are putting it back together. We are just waiting for a wrecked Mach 1 to come up for sale and it will be done (Well, done after the Azure blue paint.)

Anyways its not Camera equipment in this case so much but out Project car that was the reason why we felt like someone else was looking down on us.

Just a rant I guess :D

-Eric-

These are a few shots that I took just before the officer showed up.

1.) A S197 Roush in the same lineup.

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2631/3693749292_474f702b09_b.jpg
2.) An underhood shot of the Mach 1 and its Procharger
IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2535/3692969033_935a76ebe0_b.jpg
3.) A Shot of the Gauge Cluster
IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2552/3693778694_2396a2a088_b.jpg
4.) A shot of the Autometer Air Fuel gauge.
IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2654/3693776422_0ed1d2d7d8_b.jpg

Check out my flickr! http://www.flickr.com/​photos/crainracing/ (external link)

reddyroc007
809 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 06, 2009 01:42 |  #8

i've felt like this at times but not much can be done about it so i just whip it out and have some fun... the thing that always gets me is how often i meet other ppl with rebels, everyone and their sister has a freakin' rebel!

chris :cool:
gear: 450D w/kung-fu grip, 18-55mm IS, 50mm 1.8, 100-300L, 24-70L, Rokinon 8mm fisheye, 580EXII
flickr (external link)

The ­ Moose
Cream of the Crop
5,106 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 06, 2009 02:22 |  #9

I don't feel like that because I know it's up to the gear. I shot an indoors 8 hour music festival in March. I was using a 400D, primarily with a 24/2.8 but sometimes pulling out the nifty fifty. I was able to get a media pass because I emailed the organisers and asked for one for experience. He already had a hired photographer and he was shooting with a 5D2, 17-40 and 70-200/4. I showed the organiser the photos I took and he said my photos were so much better than the other guys, not to mention that I was looking around for new angles the whole time and everything too. Fast forward to last month and the guy who organised that festival got in contact with me and hired me for a smaller gig that he put on because his money was better off with someone who he knew could deliver rather than someone who had the better equipment :)

Headbone
86 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 06, 2009 02:45 |  #10

I shoot a fair amount of music festivals and I used to be a bit intimidated by others using way more expensive cameras and glass, but I got over that very quickly after chatting to a magazine photographer using 5D2 and 70-200 L. He also started off with a 1000D and some decent glass.

Don't be afraid to approach someone and have a chat. More often than not, you can pick up some pointers and tips.

Yes, some of the other photographers will seem a bit stand-offish, but overall, even the guys/ladies using gear that is over 10 times the value of yours will always have time for a chat. Some will not speak to you at all (it happens), just ignore them and take your shots.

Just remember one thing I got from the above mentioned mag shooter: "It is not the gear, it is how it's used."
Incedently, the 5D2 he was using was the magazine's, his 50D was in his bag as backup.

1D Mk III - 7D - EF 50mm f1.8 - EF-S 10-22 - EF 70-200 f/4 L IS - EF 24-105 f4 L

funhouse69
999 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 06, 2009 02:58 |  #11

I agree 100% you shouldn't be intimidated at all... As someone else said, we all started out somewhere. I started with an original Digital Rebel and slowly worked my way up to better equipment but believe me you can still take / get some awesome shots with any body / lens combo. Its way better to invest your time in learning your camera inside and out and improving your technique.

The best is when you get better shots than the people with the white lenses :-)

My Online Gallery (external link)
>>> My Gear List / Feedback <<<

For Sale LowePro Super Trekker

NeoTokyo
Goldmember
2,005 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 06, 2009 04:27 |  #12

BTW:

I guess thats the kind of Karma we get.... Do good and get bad happen to you.

Last week when the dealership was locked up and there were only 2 Sales reps working on a deal we saw that the Yellow Mach 1 next to the Red Roush I posted was out of gear and didnt have the e-brake on.

It was locked so we went inside and told one of the sales guys there that it was locked and out of gear. They thanked us because they were about to go home and they didnt want to come back to the Mach 1 down the hill plowed into about 3 other Mustang GT's.

Thanks Karma :)

B!tch. lol

Check out my flickr! http://www.flickr.com/​photos/crainracing/ (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 06, 2009 06:09 |  #13

Most of the pros I see at events look completely bored. I have seen guys with low end Sony's in the media pit at fashion shows. They don't seem to be intimidated by the 1D's and D3's.... no, I don't get intimidated, never have. That's something you need to come to grips with.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 06, 2009 06:55 |  #14

It's just you. Yeah, some equipment snobs will look down. Who cares what others think? A true pro will either ignore you because they are busy, or think nothing of it.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

KjellG
66 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 06, 2009 06:57 |  #15

360° wrote in post #8230331 (external link)

Definetely not me anyways, if anyone tries to put me down (which hasn't happened) because they have "better gear" I'm not even going to dignify them with a response. Well, perhaps with a smaller handgesture.

Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
-Emo Phillips
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,105 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is it just me.....
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.