Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Lens Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 11 Jun 2009 (Thursday) 00:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24-70 L Mk II (a Stealthy Prophecy)

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 04, 2009 10:40 |  #121

i think people think IS is a must.

northern lights does have some awesome images, but when it comes to future camera specs, i dont think he has a clue.

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographer (external link)
Travel the World and Photograph (external link)
Find me on Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 04, 2009 12:29 |  #122

Well when a new technology is introduced we tend to think it "has" to be applied to everything. I think that at least has been my case but I never think today that I wish my 24-70 had IS at all, if it had it of course I'd turn it on because it was there but I'd rather have less size and weight with the same image quality. I'd rather have a faster lens than IS; having a smaller profile would cause me to grab it even more often than a prime when I'm just out shooting and if it is faster, I'd more often leave the primes at home. I like this lens a lot, it's just very handy so if they do make any of these changes I'll seriously consider it, but not if it just offers IS.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

friz
Goldmember
1,595 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 04, 2009 13:51 |  #123

I buy equipment for a lifetime of use. One of the reasons I picked the 24-70 was that it didn't have IS. Added complexity = added repair issues. My next lens will be a non IS 70-200 more then likely.

bomzai
524 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 04, 2009 14:50 |  #124

friz wrote in post #8223266 (external link)
I buy equipment for a lifetime of use. One of the reasons I picked the 24-70 was that it didn't have IS. Added complexity = added repair issues. My next lens will be a non IS 70-200 more then likely.

As in 24-70 is so simple without IS? :D

Your argument has very little substance, because breakages are a matter of chance or usage. And I have not heard of any substantial number of problems with IS stop working with otherwise perfect lens (there definitely should be cases like this, but comparing to AF issues for example I am sure they are negligible).

That said, 24-70 does not need IS, who would want a lens that weighs 1.5kilo with normal zoom range?!

Camera: EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 70D, ™24-70mm f2.8 VC, EF 70-200mm IS f2.8 L II, EF 100mm IS f2.8 L Macro, EF-S 18-135 STM, Σ 12-24 II.
EOS 5D mkII, 20D, S100, EF 24-70mm f2.8 L, EF 24-105mm IS f4.0 L, EF 70-200mm IS f4.0 L, EF-S 18-200mm IS, EF 100mm f2.8 macro
Light: Sun, Speedlite 580EXII, 550EX, 430EX, EL-Skyports, Reflectors, Umbrellas, Diffusers etc.

yuriyo923
Goldmember
2,284 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 04, 2009 21:51 |  #125

friz wrote in post #8223266 (external link)

I think for 70-200 hand-held shooting IS is a must...

Canon 5D2 ~ 40D + 17-50mm in da booth!
www.seattleboothrental​.com (external link)

keithcooper
81 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 05, 2009 07:59 |  #126

bigcountry wrote in post #8222452 (external link)
i think people think IS is a must.

northern lights does have some awesome images, but when it comes to future camera specs, i dont think he has a clue.

Thanks - I'd actually much rather people found some the Northlight articles/reviews of use, or just enjoyed some of the pictures... :-)

I started a rumour page about 5 years ago and the pages do have a bit of a life of their own. I'd always emphasise that apart from the more absurd suggestions I get sent (and I've had some truly awful Photoshoped fakes sent ;-)a ) I'll put much of it up. The rumour health warnings do apply - take with a big pinch of salt! It's very rare that I get any cast iron stuff, but I know that a lot of people are amused by the rumours, and it's certainly not bad for the web site as a whole - I've noted the proliferation of rumour only sites with interest over the last few years, particularly the way a typo in one of my recent posts spread it's way round the net :-)

bye for now
Keith Cooper
Northlight Images (external link)

Markitos
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 05, 2009 08:18 as a reply to  @ keithcooper's post |  #127

drisley wrote in post #8198132 (external link)
This is rather interesting. Telephoto primes from Canon are so sharp and spectacular... yet they have a hard time making a similarly amazing "normal" prime like the 50mm.

The 50mm f/1.8 and 50mm f/1.4 are fantastically sharp lenses for very cheap. The 50 f/1.2L has some focusing issues, not optical issues, so not sure what you're talking about. I agree, though, that I'd LOVE to have a 50mm f/1.4L for a better price point.

KenjiS wrote in post #8213898 (external link)
I'd pay $500 for a Mk2 50 f/1.4 with quick ring-usm and better optical quality wide open...I think theres many others who would too

I sure would!

tkbslc wrote in post #8213944 (external link)
I do think a 30 or 35mm f1.8 for APS-C is coming soon, though. :)

Why do you think that? They've had a 35 f/2 for years, while Nikon has had nothing! Just because Nikon's decided to get back in the game with their primes doesn't mean Canon has to pointlessly reiterate things. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I'm curious what your logic is.

Personally, I think it's stupid to wait around for a new lens that might or might not be released, and deprive yourself of a lens that you might want or need. I've been able to sell just about all of my L lenses for ~90% of their value, and others I've bought used and could probably sell for a profit, so it's not hard to buy the 24-70 now and dump it when the new one comes out. Everyone will want the new lens, you say? Well, with IS it will be closer to ~$2k, and there will be tons of people who will be just fine with the older, cheaper lens.

I, for one, have never missed IS on my normal zoom, and I am a HUGE advocate of IS generally.

Finally, just because a new, better lens is coming out, doesn't mean the old ones suck. I have been using a 16-35 f/2.8L mkI quite happily for months, and don't feel any need to upgrade to the mkII, even though it exists. Similarly with the 24L--I don't have it, but I'd get the mkI over the mkII, just because for ME, the quality increase doesn't justify the price increase.

In some cases, like with the 50L or the 85L, a mkII makes sense--for the 85L, the mkII gives you faster focus, which is important. For the 50L, we can only hope that it fixes the focus issues.

Just my 10 cents!

|Fuji X-E2|Fuji X-E1|Fuji 18 f/2|Fuji 35 f/1.4|Fuji 60 f/2.4 macro|Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4|Fuji 55-200 f/3.5-4.8

http://www.newschoolof​photography.com/forum/ (external link)Where I Hone My Skillz (external link)
Where My "Serious" Stuff Is (external link)

Stealthy ­ Ninja
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Jul 06, 2009 01:16 |  #128
bannedPermanent ban

keithcooper wrote in post #8226399 (external link)
Thanks - I'd actually much rather people found some the Northlight articles/reviews of use, or just enjoyed some of the pictures... :-)

I started a rumour page about 5 years ago and the pages do have a bit of a life of their own. I'd always emphasise that apart from the more absurd suggestions I get sent (and I've had some truly awful Photoshoped fakes sent ;-)a ) I'll put much of it up. The rumour health warnings do apply - take with a big pinch of salt! It's very rare that I get any cast iron stuff, but I know that a lot of people are amused by the rumours, and it's certainly not bad for the web site as a whole - I've noted the proliferation of rumour only sites with interest over the last few years, particularly the way a typo in one of my recent posts spread it's way round the net :-)

Well, you're better than Mr. Ken R. ;)

I like your site dude. It's one of my rumour sources. As you suggested, rumours are for fun and possible future lens planning, it's not life and death. ;)

keithcooper
81 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 06, 2009 04:27 |  #129

Stealthy Ninja wrote in post #8230826 (external link)
Well, you're better than Mr. Ken R. ;)

Now that, I -do- appreciate ;-)a Thanks!

bye for now
Keith Cooper
Northlight Images (external link)

zaathrus
Pole Dancin' Hamster
914 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 07, 2009 14:39 |  #130

Have a June 09 24-70L - so knowing my luck there's an update on the way guaranteed...

Joined the cult of the HAMSTTR :cool:
Flickr (external link)
Our Zenfolio (external link)

aaronkneile
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 07, 2009 15:59 as a reply to  @ zaathrus's post |  #131

Who knows with the rumors? It's encouraging to hear of people spotting what we assume are test models in the wild. I was planning to pick up a 24-70 a couple of months ago and the guy I go to at the local shop told me to hold off. He didn't say why, but I suppose I could infer that a new one was on the way. He worked for Canon for a lot of years, but maybe it was just intuition.

The thing is, I've been renting the 24-70 for jobs now so I could hold off and buy the new one, and I have not been crazy about the image quality on the original. Barrel distortion is out of control on the wider angles. I shot a couple of test shots with the 24-70 at around 35mm. Then compared it to the 16-35ii at 35mm. The difference was kind of shocking. From 24 to 35mm (where I could make a comparison) you really saw just how distorted the 24-70 is. The images looked almost wrinkled near the corners. And yes, it was definitely a bit soft. So there is room for improvement from what I can see.

As to what's "sharp enough" or what sensors can "outresolve" which lenses, I have little comment. How you shoot, what you print, and a million other variables would factor in to that, I suppose. Sharp enough for one person might not be for another, and it depends on the job.

JD1476
111 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 07, 2009 16:28 |  #132

Put me down for one of those also...

JD

lukeap69 wrote in post #8159777 (external link)
what?? no 200-400 f/4L IS?

Gear; Bodies: Canon 7D, 5D, 40D, 30D; Lenses: 70-200 F/2.8L IS, 70-300mm 4-5.6 IS, 28-200mm USM, 17-55 USM F2.8 IS, 85mm F1.8 USM & 50mm F/1.4

kandyredcoi
Goldmember
1,611 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 08, 2009 01:14 |  #133

sold my brick, replacing it with some primes

gonna wait and see when the new 24-70L gets released, maybe ill pick it up as a walkaround if the primes wont cut it on a "daily" basis

Unique Custom Watch Straps--> www.CTDesigns.us (external link)

Stealthy ­ Ninja
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Jul 08, 2009 02:04 |  #134
bannedPermanent ban

Coi, next time you spot one, take a photo dude. You'll be famous! :)

kandyredcoi
Goldmember
1,611 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 08, 2009 02:09 |  #135

Stealthy Ninja wrote in post #8243791 (external link)
Coi, next time you spot one, take a photo dude. You'll be famous! :)

i will def try to...1st time i was really caught off guard...:cool:

Unique Custom Watch Straps--> www.CTDesigns.us (external link)

sponsored links

32,572 views & 0 likes for this thread
24-70 L Mk II (a Stealthy Prophecy)
FORUMS News & Rumors Lens Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.