Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 08 Jul 2009 (Wednesday) 04:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sick of Cactus - Thinking of Skyports!

pridash
Goldmember
3,584 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: London, UK - Where 30 degrees celcius is considered a heatwave and liable to result in death.

Jul 08, 2009 04:58 |  #1

Well as the title suggests, totally sick and tired of the cactus with misfires and now a dodgy transmitter - I'm having to open the lid and keep pressing the test button to eventually get it to work!

So I'm looking for something more professional, reliable but not as expensive as PW'S - skyports seem to fit the bill. But just wanted to get feedback on real life reliability - are they as good as pw's?

Also can I utilise my old male to male pc cable to connect the flashes (580, sb25 & sb28) to the receivers? or do I need other cables?

Pradeep (but most people call me PJ)

Flickr (external link) | Website (external link)
Stop obsessing about gear and focus on your own art and creativity. Nurture and love the artist inside yourself.

sponsored links
Sydney2K
27 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 08, 2009 05:41 |  #2

PWs are the way to go for total trouble free. You would also probably need these if you do not have them already.

http://www.flashzebra.​com/wizardcables/screw​lock.shtml (external link)

DannyG
74 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 08, 2009 05:46 |  #3

Cybersyncs
http://www.alienbees.c​om/remotes.html (external link)

poopinmymouth
180 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 08, 2009 06:26 |  #4

I love my skyports. Utterly reliable. I've added a friends 3rd to my mix and they worked great.

Lighting Blog: http://mr-chompers.blogspot.com (external link)
Portfolio: http://www.mr-chompers.com (external link)

pridash
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,584 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: London, UK - Where 30 degrees celcius is considered a heatwave and liable to result in death.

Jul 08, 2009 07:33 |  #5

Thaks for the responses so far!

However, although PW's seem to be the "gold standard", they are out of my price range so I'm not even considering them. But I would like to get more opinions on the skyports.

Also, is there a pc socket on the skyports that my male-male cable will fit? It doesn't seem to be clear on the website. If another cable is required, which one would I need?

Although Flashzebra has been cited and has excellent service (I've brought from him before) I'd rather source cables from either here in the UK or Hong Kong as the US postal system makes deliveries to the UK way too long. HK ships to UK within 5 working days on average, whereas from the US it can take over 2 weeks.

Pradeep (but most people call me PJ)

Flickr (external link) | Website (external link)
Stop obsessing about gear and focus on your own art and creativity. Nurture and love the artist inside yourself.

Sydney2K
27 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 08, 2009 07:52 as a reply to  @ pridash's post |  #6

If you are going the skyports route then check this review out

http://blewbmx.com …ort-radio-trigger-review/ (external link)

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 08, 2009 08:49 |  #7

pridash wrote in post #8244589 (external link)
Thaks for the responses so far!

However, although PW's seem to be the "gold standard", they are out of my price range so I'm not even considering them. But I would like to get more opinions on the skyports.

Also, is there a pc socket on the skyports that my male-male cable will fit? It doesn't seem to be clear on the website. If another cable is required, which one would I need?

Although Flashzebra has been cited and has excellent service (I've brought from him before) I'd rather source cables from either here in the UK or Hong Kong as the US postal system makes deliveries to the UK way too long. HK ships to UK within 5 working days on average, whereas from the US it can take over 2 weeks.

No...

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 08, 2009 09:10 |  #8

Just save for pocketwizards and save the trouble, really. They will just work, and used ones can be had for as little as $230 a set, which is like half of what they were a year ago.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,623 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 08, 2009 09:18 |  #9

I'm sure the pocket wizards are great. I just keep wondering if there is a reason to need them? I've had the cybersyncs which worked flawlessly, and now the skyports on RX monos. No battery on receivers and ability to adjust lighting levels from camera, what could pocket wizards possibly offer in my case?

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 08, 2009 09:22 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Longer range, not as sensetive regarding interference, buildt to last, and compatible with Sekonic meters. If that features that appeal to you i dont know.

Kindest

Regards
Paul L.

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 08, 2009 09:31 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

I use both and pw is better as far as range, durability, and wireless metering goes. Skyports BIG feature is its remote power control with RX/BXri/Quadra units, and is also the only reason why i use them.

For use at shorter "normal" distances and with some "care" the units will work great. Longer distances and in enviroments with lots of interference and "heavy" use they wont fare to well.

Regards
Paul L.

k_strecker
428 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 08, 2009 10:20 |  #12

Why are used Pocket Wizards off the table? I bought a pair of *decade* old pocket wizards while I was in school. They worked great for the past couple of years and just yesterday I traded them towards some more lighting. They're all over ebay, and usually craigslist as well. You can have your cake and eat it too! The old ones are just as powerful, reliable, and range-worthy as the new stuff. Plus, being completely backwards compatible you can always upgrade and keep your stuff working across the board.

Oh, wait . . .is there craigslist in the UK? . . . anyways, there are used ones worldwide :)

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,623 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 08, 2009 10:25 |  #13

I've been considering the sekonic reason. We have the 758dr. But then i'm thinking to myself, why can't i just walk to my model and have the skyport transmitter in my hand and fire it that way? Takes 1 second to take it off/on camera.

k_strecker
428 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 08, 2009 10:56 |  #14

mumbles wrote in post #8245344 (external link)
I've been considering the sekonic reason. We have the 758dr. But then i'm thinking to myself, why can't i just walk to my model and have the skyport transmitter in my hand and fire it that way? Takes 1 second to take it off/on camera.

I've never understood the love affair with in-meter triggering myself. If you're setting up ratios you're only going to be triggering one strobe at a time, which means you're still walking between strobes to turn them on off. and like you said, having a pocket wizard or skyport in your hand while you're metering is just about as convenient.

In my 2.5 years of freelance assisting commercial shooters, several dozen different photogs covering the whole range of budgets and clients . . . no one's bothered with the wireless meter triggering . . . but then again, they're hiring assistants to do the metering and light adjustments so why would they need fancy hardware to make the job easier :D

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,623 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 08, 2009 11:10 |  #15

k_strecker wrote in post #8245492 (external link)
I've never understood the love affair with in-meter triggering myself. If you're setting up ratios you're only going to be triggering one strobe at a time, which means you're still walking between strobes to turn them on off. and like you said, having a pocket wizard or skyport in your hand while you're metering is just about as convenient.

In my 2.5 years of freelance assisting commercial shooters, several dozen different photogs covering the whole range of budgets and clients . . . no one's bothered with the wireless meter triggering . . . but then again, they're hiring assistants to do the metering and light adjustments so why would they need fancy hardware to make the job easier :D

Agreed. Partially. If you set 3-4 lights into different groups, you dont' even need to walk over to your strobes. You can control everything from the transmitter. All the while have the model hold the light meter.

I bought into elinchrom for the quality and higher w-s. Imagine my surprise when i found out you can control each light individually. And i was fretting about not being able to use the JrX's :rolleyes:

sponsored links

3,027 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sick of Cactus - Thinking of Skyports!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.