Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 07 Jul 2009 (Tuesday) 13:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

~Photography Contracts~

Vacation
89 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 07, 2009 13:10 |  #1

What is neccesary? What problems have you had? What did you add in later after your original contract?

I have spoken to several lawyers who basicly ask me to come up with my own contract and they will look it over.

I did not go to law school but this is what they all want me to do!

ANY HELP APPRECIATED!!

Canon 5D Mark ii :mrgreen:, Canon 30D Canon 20D 50mm 1.4, 16-35 Canon L, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 100-400L 24-105 IS L Pocket Wizards 580EX2, 580EX

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 07, 2009 19:46 |  #2

You need to cover copyright, model release, what they're allowed to use the image for, payment terms, what happens if either if you don't show up, etc. The core of my contract came from the professional association i'm a member of.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 07, 2009 21:37 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

A contract becomes a legal contract when it is witnessed by another party and signed by that party.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

Josh101
393 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 08, 2009 01:15 |  #4

i purchased "Business and legal forms for photographers" and essentially cut out unnecessary information and added what i felt was missing. so far this has worked for without a single issue. the sad thing is when alot of my clients will sign the form without even reading over to confirm their event details let alone the terms and conditions.

Gear List. | Joshua O'Neill Photography (external link) | My Flickr Page. (external link)

Vacation
THREAD ­ STARTER
89 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 08, 2009 09:07 |  #5

tim wrote in post #8242004 (external link)
You need to cover copyright, model release, what they're allowed to use the image for, payment terms, what happens if either if you don't show up, etc. The core of my contract came from the professional association i'm a member of.

Tim-

All I want to say is YOU ROCK!!! You have helped me out so much on my photography journey and I want to say thanks!!!

You have answered allot of my questions and helped me push things along.

THANKS!!

Canon 5D Mark ii :mrgreen:, Canon 30D Canon 20D 50mm 1.4, 16-35 Canon L, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 100-400L 24-105 IS L Pocket Wizards 580EX2, 580EX

Vacation
THREAD ­ STARTER
89 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 08, 2009 09:32 |  #6

Karl Johnston wrote in post #8242616 (external link)
A contract becomes a legal contract when it is witnessed by another party and signed by that party.

Are you saying every photigraphy contract or model release needs to have a witness? If so can it be another owner or does it have to be a non-owner?

Vacation
THREAD ­ STARTER
89 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 08, 2009 09:34 |  #7

Josh101 wrote in post #8243645 (external link)
i purchased "Business and legal forms for photographers" and essentially cut out unnecessary information and added what i felt was missing. so far this has worked for without a single issue. the sad thing is when alot of my clients will sign the form without even reading over to confirm their event details let alone the terms and conditions.

That is pretty much what I am doing now and It really sucks because I don't have a law degree the lawyer does so he should be doing this. He should better know how to protect me than myself.

If I leave something out and get sued he will be the first to blame me.

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 08, 2009 17:25 |  #8

Vacation wrote in post #8244945 (external link)
Tim-

All I want to say is YOU ROCK!!! You have helped me out so much on my photography journey and I want to say thanks!!!

You have answered allot of my questions and helped me push things along.

THANKS!!

You're welcome :)

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

RachelC1184
228 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 08, 2009 17:34 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #9

You can google photography contracts also and look at the ones available online, get ideas from the parts you want to keep and don't use parts that you don't need..

sponsored links

1,222 views & 0 likes for this thread
~Photography Contracts~
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.