Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 08 Jul 2009 (Wednesday) 10:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is this beginning of the end ?

vadim_c
716 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 08, 2009 10:07 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

All these stories at Paul Buff company with Einsteins and AB Maxs could be be very sinister and may signal frantic attempts by the management to keep the company alive. There is a lot of new worthy competitors in the last year or two and multiplied by the state of current economy I am not surprised that it is very difficult to stay in business.
Have you ever heard about for example a new Canon camera before it is officially released to the public ? The new development in a company usually is a top secret and companies are very diligent keeping that secret.
If you look closer there is very little new real development at Paul Buff. All is empty talks with unfulfilled promises.
I have been waiting for cyber commanders for a year now and still cannot comprehend why it is not there. A flash controller is not more complicated than a regular home phone and if the company cannot release it in time I would be very cautios making a bigger investment depending on it.
Caveat: I this is just my reasoning the real picture could be very different.

Exif Internet Explorer Addon (external link).

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 08, 2009 11:05 |  #2

vadim_c wrote in post #8245247 (external link)
The new development in a company usually is a top secret and companies are very diligent keeping that secret.

Probably never worked in the valley. Almost all new stuff gets leaked in this internet age long before the official annoucements.

If flash controller is such a simple thing, why don't we have more companies making it? I am too loooking at the CC and new ABmax and dissappointed with them not having digitial power supply which can run on non-sinusoidal inverters. But if I was in photography business, I wouldn't be sweating about AB stuff like most folks on the forums are. I would spend the money and buy work horse lights which work day and night for many years to come and I being able to rent them if I need to. AB aren't in that league, IMHO. You don't buy entry level rebel if you serious.

THis is just how I feel.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 08, 2009 11:12 |  #3

and that's the beauty/agonizing dilemna of releasing new products. Leaked photos garner huge waves of intrigue that create speculation and set the expectations pretty high. it is in my opinion a great way to market your product within the coming months that it will be released. on the other hand, it also lets your competition know what to expect so that they can increase investment in their capital equipment to adjust for your new product.

but as always, everyone waits for the reviews before spending their hard earned cheddar.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 08, 2009 11:29 |  #4

vadim_c wrote in post #8245247 (external link)
Have you ever heard about for example a new Canon camera before it is officially released to the public ?

Yes, on a regular basis. Canon routinely announces new DSLR's at least a month or two before they're distributed.

The difference is, with a company like Canon, when they make a product announcement it means the camera has already been built, tested, bugs fixed (ok, most of 'em anyway) and is in the mass production stages already. It's not vaporware or a product being designed, it already exists and works.

vadim_c
THREAD ­ STARTER
716 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 08, 2009 12:28 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

bobbyz wrote in post #8245529 (external link)
Probably never worked in the valley. Almost all new stuff gets leaked in this internet age long before the official annoucements.

There is a big difference between 'leaked' photos and statements by a company representative and describing it on the company website years if ever before the product is ready for shipping.

bobbyz wrote in post #8245529 (external link)
If flash controller is such a simple thing, why don't we have more companies making it?.

Really ? What about Elinchrom Skyports? Canon remote TTL ? Nikon flash system ? Radiopoppers ?

A remote flash controller is not more complicated than a garage opener and companies do not make noise about it, they just manuafacture it simiularly to any other product. ( with the exception of Paul Buff that does not manufacture but makes a lot of noise).

vadim_c
THREAD ­ STARTER
716 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 08, 2009 12:31 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

DennisW1 wrote in post #8245632 (external link)
Yes, on a regular basis. Canon routinely announces new DSLR's at least a month or two before they're distributed.

The difference is, with a company like Canon, when they make a product announcement it means the camera has already been built, tested, bugs fixed (ok, most of 'em anyway) and is in the mass production stages already. It's not vaporware or a product being designed, it already exists and works.

Released to the public means the company officially stated that the product is ready for the shipping. And yest it takes a month for the retailes to learn about the new product, negotiate orders, receive the product, etc.

dedsen
Goldmember
2,580 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 08, 2009 12:32 as a reply to  @ DennisW1's post |  #7

So are you one of the people that complains when Canon or any other company releases a product full of bugs and has to recall them repeatedly? I for one am glad to see a business owner with enough integrity not to just throw the product out there to get customers money and then fix the bugs later. You cannot have it both ways.
So vadim_c, when is your flash controller going to market since it cannot be that hard to produce one?

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,623 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 08, 2009 12:37 |  #8

vadim_c wrote in post #8245908 (external link)
Really ? What about Elinchrom Skyports? Canon remote TTL ? Nikon flash system ? Radiopoppers ?

Umm the JrX's are vaporware as well. There might be a test unit or two. But the same for the cyber commander.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 08, 2009 12:40 |  #9

vadim_c wrote in post #8245908 (external link)
A remote flash controller is not more complicated than a garage opener and companies do not make noise about it, they just manuafacture it simiularly to any other product. ( with the exception of Paul Buff that does not manufacture but makes a lot of noise).

Then buy those and be happy.

More options are good for us consumers.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

Benji
Goldmember
2,205 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 08, 2009 12:42 |  #10

I am guessing a HUGE part of the problem is the federal government. A better radio "popper" is exactly what terrorists are looking for. Something that can trip a flash unit (or a bomb) at a far enough distance that the trigger man won't be killed also. Have you tried to buy a battery powered remote control to turn regular lights on and off lately?

Ben

Detrimental
303 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 08, 2009 13:26 |  #11

Benji, your post made me laugh. I'm sure 'terrorists' are so very limited by available triggering options.

5D Mark II w/grip
85L f/1.2 II

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 08, 2009 14:13 |  #12

Benji wrote in post #8246010 (external link)
I am guessing a HUGE part of the problem is the federal government. A better radio "popper" is exactly what terrorists are looking for. Something that can trip a flash unit (or a bomb) at a far enough distance that the trigger man won't be killed also. Have you tried to buy a battery powered remote control to turn regular lights on and off lately?

Ben

that's why they use cell phones. i can say with relative confidence that radio signal power isn't limited for antiterrorism reasons. my best guess would be consumer electronic interference.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

Benji
Goldmember
2,205 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 08, 2009 14:18 |  #13

Detrimental wrote in post #8246286 (external link)
Benji, your post made me laugh. I'm sure 'terrorists' are so very limited by available triggering options.

They sure are, which is why they buy them wherever they can and whenever they can, even in my little farming community of 10,000. They apparantly can't get them "over there" so they come over here and buy them.

Benji

drh681
157 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 08, 2009 14:38 as a reply to  @ Benji's post |  #14

Radio control on one channel for one function is simple. i.e. garage door openers, or blutooth gadgets.
Radio control over multiple channels and for multiple functions is a bit more arcane, especially if you want it all to happen in a finely split second.

Likewise, converting direct current to smooth alternating current is a bit complicated when you want it to include high load capacity too.

It's obvious that Buff's engineers could do it, but not within the parameters that they had agreed to. I strongly suspect that to get the performance that Buff (and by extension his customers) expected, the inverter will have to be either heavier or more expensive, and probably both.
and those ARE already on the market.

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 08, 2009 14:44 |  #15

drh681 wrote in post #8246669 (external link)
Radio control on one channel for one function is simple. i.e. garage door openers, or blutooth gadgets.
Radio control over multiple channels and for multiple functions is a bit more arcane, especially if you want it all to happen in a finely split second.

Likewise, converting direct current to smooth alternating current is a bit complicated when you want it to include high load capacity too.

It's obvious that Buff's engineers could do it, but not within the parameters that they had agreed to. I strongly suspect that to get the performance that Buff (and by extension his customers) expected, the inverter will have to be either heavier or more expensive, and probably both.
and those ARE already on the market.

I'm sure you're absolutely correct. It's not that it can't be done. The problem more than likely is that it can't be done at a price that Buff can deliver to consumers that makes sense and still makes his products more affordable than other brands and more expensive systems.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

sponsored links

2,629 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is this beginning of the end ?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.