Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 08 Jul 2009 (Wednesday) 17:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bag Recommendation Needed

dow
193 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 08, 2009 17:05 |  #1

I'll be receiving a briefcase as a tenure award soon, and have been allowed to choose pretty much whatever I want, with these restrictions:

1. Must look like a briefcase or messenger bag. No backpacks.
  2. Maximum price is $175 US
These two items are cast in stone. They can't be changed or negotiated.

Here are my personal requirements:

1. Needs to be very sturdy
  2. Needs to hold a 17" laptop and power adapter
  3. Needs to have room for a 20D, two or three lenses, flash, various accessories, and storage
  4. Needs to be inconspicuous.
I've looked at reviews of the Tenba Large Messenger Bag, Lowepro Stealth Reporter D650 AW, and the ThinkTank Urban Disguise 60 (which is too expensive).

What would you recommend? It certainly doesn't have to be one of these bags, as I'm going by online information only (too darned hard to get to a camera shop when they're open with my work schedule).

Also, please remember that the price and appearance restrictions are NOT negotiable.

Thanks!

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.

flickr (external link)
Gear _ist

sponsored links
Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 08, 2009 19:58 |  #2

Man, You sure want a lot for $175 :-)

The biggest problem is reconciling 2 & 4. There is no way to carry a pizza box inconspicuously along with camera and lenses. Even a more reasonably sized 15 inch laptop requires a good sized bag.

I am partial to Tamrac bags, have three of them myself. Take a look at the Tamrac 5618 Turbo CyberPro Camera System and Computer Briefcase - (external link)

Good luck on your quest.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

dow
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 09, 2009 09:19 as a reply to  @ Skip Souza's post |  #3

Thanks, Skip. Maybe I should have used different wording. What i really meant was that I don't want some gosh-awful ugly bag with four different colors and reflective piping on it, and I don't want one that has the same colors as stuff in my fridge (mango, tangerine, bacon, sheesh!).

Any other recommendations?

flickr (external link)
Gear _ist

jluspo
108 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 09, 2009 09:56 as a reply to  @ dow's post |  #4

Your best bet is probably a DIY camera bag. Have you ever thought of going to ROSS orr TJMAXX and buy an expandable Samsonite or similar leather laptop bag for around +/- $50 bucks and adding your a Domke inserts. Just a thought.

Gear List: Canon EOS 7D; Sigma 10-20; Canon 50 1.4; 24-105 F4L; 100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS; 580EX II; 2x Calumet Genesis 200; Billingham/Think Tank/Tamrac bags

flickr (external link)

dow
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 09, 2009 10:01 as a reply to  @ jluspo's post |  #5

Well, yeah, I thought of that, but my employer is buying this for me, as I said in my original post. :)

flickr (external link)
Gear _ist

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 09, 2009 10:31 as a reply to  @ dow's post |  #6

I'm very happy with my Lowepro Stealth Reporter 300. Excellent manufacture, very hitech features.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

sf_loft
212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 09, 2009 10:46 |  #7

Tenba large Messenger bag.

http://www.tenba.com …/Messenger-Large-Bag.aspx (external link)
$114

Closest you'll find under $175. I own a lowepro classified and they are pricey, the 250 A is nice but above your price range. If your company was paying for it, I would let them pay $175 and pay the difference out of my own pocket to get the right bag.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III & FUJIFILM X-T1 mirrorless

35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II |135mm f/2L | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/4L IS | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro
Benro C2691T Travel Angel | GP-E2 GPS | EF 1.4x III
FUJINON 23mm 1.4 | FUJINON 35mm 1.4 | FUJINON 56mm 1.2

flickr (external link)

snails
"I used the last of it to tip the strippers."
1,517 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 09, 2009 11:14 |  #8

I really like my Lowepro Classified, but the 250 only holds a 15.4" laptop and costs too much.

Your image can chosen for the Best Of gallery only if it is in your own member gallery.

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 09, 2009 12:27 |  #9

dow wrote in post #8250762 (external link)
Thanks, Skip. Maybe I should have used different wording. What i really meant was that I don't want some gosh-awful ugly bag with four different colors and reflective piping on it, and I don't want one that has the same colors as stuff in my fridge (mango, tangerine, bacon, sheesh!).

Any other recommendations?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I found the Tamrac site link to the 5618. http://www.tamrac.com/​5618.htm (external link)
My Tamrac bags are all quite sturdy and functional and none are gaudy ;-)a

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

kandyredcoi
Goldmember
1,611 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 09, 2009 12:40 |  #10

Think Tank Urban Disguise....lots of different sizes and styles in your price range and it freakin awesome
http://www.thinktankph​oto.com/ttp_product_Ur​bnDsgs.php (external link)

Unique Custom Watch Straps--> www.CTDesigns.us (external link)

dow
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 09, 2009 13:19 |  #11

kandyredcoi wrote in post #8251803 (external link)
Think Tank Urban Disguise....lots of different sizes and styles in your price range and it freakin awesome
http://www.thinktankph​oto.com/ttp_product_Ur​bnDsgs.php (external link)

I looked at those, but the only one that fits my laptop (17") is 190.00. That's over the limit.

I'm leaning really heavily toward either the

Tenba Shootout Photo/Laptop Courier (external link)

or the

Tenba Messenger Large Bag (external link)

If you were to choose between these two, which would you choose, and why?

flickr (external link)
Gear _ist

dow
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 09, 2009 21:32 |  #12

Thoughts?

flickr (external link)
Gear _ist

ROMEO.XK
228 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 10, 2009 04:08 |  #13

Not sure if you would like this, I have it, and I fit a 17" MacBook Pro, and you would have plenty of room for your camera, lenses, and then some, it has lots of packets.

And it is right at your $175 mark... Well, almost, $175 plus tax...

IMAGE: http://www.besportier.com/archives/oakley-kitchen-sink-backpack.jpg

http://oakley.com …cts/kitchen-sink-backpack (external link)

kandyredcoi
Goldmember
1,611 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 10, 2009 04:16 |  #14

dow wrote in post #8251949 (external link)
I looked at those, but the only one that fits my laptop (17") is 190.00. That's over the limit.

I'm leaning really heavily toward either the

Tenba Shootout Photo/Laptop Courier (external link)

or the

Tenba Messenger Large Bag (external link)

If you were to choose between these two, which would you choose, and why?

tenba messenger

Unique Custom Watch Straps--> www.CTDesigns.us (external link)

dkim3202
215 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 10, 2009 08:00 as a reply to  @ kandyredcoi's post |  #15

Since you have looked at this one I'd go with the Lowepro Stealth Reporter D650 AW Shoulder Bag. It can hold a Pro DSLR, 2-3 lenses, flash and accesories, and still has room for a 17" notebook. Price is $150 at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Reporter_D650A​W_Bag.html (external link)

Everything else seems to be a lot more money because when you factor in a 17" notebook, that's one hefty sized bag.

Canon EOS 5DMkII, 50 f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX HSM, Manfrotto 190CXPro3 with 488RC2 Ball Head. Wife: Canon EOS 50D, EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS

sponsored links

2,454 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bag Recommendation Needed
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.