Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jul 2009 (Thursday) 17:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Leaving a camera in a hot car

kekoa
THREAD ­ STARTER
650 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 09, 2009 18:55 |  #16

woostar88 wrote in post #8253699 (external link)
75 degrees is not sizzling hot enough to cook bacon =)

but i'd be more worry about being stolen... leaving the precious dslr in the car.

hey, i leave my golf clubs in the car all the time and they are worth about 2 5d mk II's. :)

sponsored links
Tomi ­ Hawk
Goldmember
1,698 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 09, 2009 18:57 |  #17

crn3371 wrote in post #8253691 (external link)
I wouldn't worry a bit about leaving my gear in the trunk for a few hours, especially in a camera bag. The cabin of a car gets much hotter because of the greenhouse effect, I don't believe that the trunk gets nearly as hot.

Tell that to my $600 Taylor Made Tour Preferred Driver.
I left it in my trunk one day for like 6 hours .. the head separated from the shaft! :confused:

No so bueno mang .. :rolleyes:

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 09, 2009 18:57 |  #18

kekoa wrote in post #8253718 (external link)
hey, i leave my golf clubs in the car all the time and they are worth about 2 5d mk II's. :)

I leave my clubs in the car most of the time as well. My problem is I can't get enough decent shots with the clubs or the camera. :(

My Gear

JTW_Jr
549 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 09, 2009 19:09 |  #19

Tomi Hawk wrote in post #8253661 (external link)
I don't leave anything in my car here in Vegas .. not only is it not safe for the camera,
but I can't imagine the batteries are digging it too much at all.
Besides, it's a good way to lose it all to a theif ......

Last year, even though I had my windows cracked a quarter inch, I returned to find
that an extra bic lighter that I had left EXPLODED!
It was left on the front seat, and to this day (one year later) I'm still finding lil orange pieces of plastic.
I found pieces on the rear deck, under the front seats, the dash .. you name it ..
Places where I didn't even know I had places .. wait, err ..

My gear? Nowayjose .. it goes where I go .. period!

I agree , I have seen cans of Wd-40 , spray paint cans , etc that explodes in co-workers back seats , usually people new to the Vegas area. I did have an off brand pelican like case warp on me , nothing a heat gun didnt fix , but I am not going to chance it with the camera gear .

Canon 60D ,50 F1.8 , 17-85 , 55-250, 24-105 , Sigma 70-200

Tomi ­ Hawk
Goldmember
1,698 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 09, 2009 19:12 |  #20

runninmann wrote in post #8253736 (external link)
I leave my clubs in the car most of the time as well. My problem is I can't get enough decent shots with the clubs or the camera. :(

L oh freakin L .. :lol:

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 09, 2009 20:27 |  #21

I leave it in the car all the time. Hidden from sight obviously. But I have never had a problem with heat. Cold however is another problem. Not a problem if I am shooting in the cold. But if it gets cold then go to shoot indoors. I have to wait for it to warm up before I can use it. Otherwise it just fogs up.

Not really worried about theft, as I dont move the equipment to the trunk where I am going to park and show the stuff off. It gets put there when I leave the house. So nobody knows it is there. It would have to be a random thing for it to get stolen.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

DragonDan
316 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 09, 2009 20:46 |  #22

It was 108° in Phoenix, AZ today. That's 42.2c.
I don't leave the camera bag in my vehicle

Canon EOS 50D gripped; Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8; ∑30mm f/1.4; ∑105mm macro; 70-200mm f/4L; 430EX II

Brett
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 09, 2009 23:13 |  #23

In Cleveland, we don't get much over the mid-90s F. My camera is always in my trunk. You can tell when you open a trunk, the air temperature inside isn't near what it is in the car. But, my car is white, and I live in Cleveland. In Vegas, I'd definitely not risk it.

flickr (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 09, 2009 23:24 |  #24

In most cars, the trunk stays much cooler than the cabin. Regardless, extreme heat is not good for electronics. And it's about the worse thing you can subject a lithium battery to.

I'd avoid leaving your gear in the car during the summer months and only do so when you really need to.

Bryan

My Gear List

BrettRio
375 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 09, 2009 23:28 |  #25

DragonDan wrote in post #8254223 (external link)
It was 108° in Phoenix, AZ today. That's 42.2c.
I don't leave the camera bag in my vehicle

I don't think I can live in American weather.:eek:

www.flickr.com/brettan​dchalsphotography
Canon EOS 50D • 24-70L

reddyroc007
809 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 10, 2009 00:44 |  #26

Tomi Hawk wrote in post #8253735 (external link)
Tell that to my $600 Taylor Made Tour Preferred Driver.
I left it in my trunk one day for like 6 hours .. the head separated from the shaft! :confused:

No so bueno mang .. :rolleyes:

i hope you didnt find this out while teeing off...:rolleyes:

chris :cool:
gear: 450D w/kung-fu grip, 18-55mm IS, 50mm 1.8, 100-300L, 24-70L, Rokinon 8mm fisheye, 580EXII
flickr (external link)

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 10, 2009 04:00 |  #27
bannedPermanently

I leave mine out in 120-140 degrees in Iraq, and it's been running all year long. I'm not very far from it, but it's sits out there on top of something like a glove/cloth

my 40D/Xti that is.

binliner
711 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 10, 2009 04:34 |  #28

It was 49°C when I was in Luxor, Egypt a few weeks ago and my 30D was fine... I, on the other hand, could feel my brain and what little ability I had melting away and rapidly lost all enthusiasm for taking anything other than holiday snaps!

Justin
website (external link) | flickr (external link) | facebook (external link) | blog (external link)
5D II | 7D | G1-X | 17-40mm f4 | 50mm f1.4 | 70-200mm f4 | 300mm f4 | 1.4x II | Lee filters

Terjay
448 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 10, 2009 05:09 as a reply to  @ binliner's post |  #29

Just open the windows up a bit and leave it some water... Oh wait...

Bobby ­ Canon
54 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 10, 2009 06:11 |  #30

The car radio has no choice other than to stay in the car, no matter what the temperature. I know it doesn't have a battery, but it is full of electronic components.

sponsored links

42,159 views & 0 likes for this thread
Leaving a camera in a hot car
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.