Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 09 Jul 2009 (Thursday) 20:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Before & After #200

Kendoway
Cropped and Creamed
3,793 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 09, 2009 20:13 |  #1

This game is to help those of us who are trying to learn new tricks when it comes to editing.

Here's the breakdown of the game. I will post a picture that I choose, resized to exactly 1024 pixels maximum on the long side. Outside of being resized it has to be unedited...meaning no adjustments to any levels, it has to look like it did as it came out of the camera.

The game will last 72hrs and whoever can produce the best edited image (as judged by me) will be picked and it'll be their turn to post their unedited picture for all of us to take a crack at.

The participants must have their "Image Editing OK" turned on and they must provide at least a simple breakdown of how they edited the image, some entrants are a little vague on this point, please give us all details so we can learn and share tips. For instance if you use the unsharp mask tool or Smart Sharpen, provide us with the adjustments you used so others can try them out.

You can post multiple images, but the first image you post will be the one that is judged - all other images will be considered for knowledge and tip use only.

Also, please keep all comments, be they positive or negative, to yourself until after the game has ended.

If you happen to be the winner of the game please start the next one with the title of the game and the following number. For example…the next game should read "Before & After #201".

This is all about having fun so have at it!!!

Been a while since we've had a fuzzy critter...

• This is the neighbor's cat.
  • An evil LOL I CAN HAZ CHEEZBURGER cat.
  • It dares to stick it's tongue out at me.
  • Therefore it deserves the harshest of Photoshop punishments.
This round will end Sunday July 12th at 6PM EST (3 Hrs short just to upset Monty)

IMAGE: http://i25.tinypic.com/4h77va.jpg

Higher Resolution Source File: http://i30.tinypic.com​/346lun4.jpg (external link)

☼ Christian D.
"Ask someone who’s running out of a burning home what they’ll grab. Nine times out of 10, it’s the photo album".
- Scott Bourne
Website (external link)
| FaceBook (external link)

sponsored links
-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,774 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 10, 2009 12:05 |  #2

IMAGE: http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp49/dougle/POTN/cat02.jpg

• convert to smart object, shadow/highlight, mask for vignette and ears
  • selective color layer for the eyes, mask
  • levels layer for eyes and nose set to linear dodge 100%, mask
  • copied ears to new layer set to screen 86%, drop shadow, mask
  • crop, add frame

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

Spidy
450 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 10, 2009 12:13 as a reply to  @ -Douglas-'s post |  #3

I will try and remember the steps that I took ....

Changed the color, contrast and hue
Reddened the eyes, tongue and inside of ears
Distorted eyes to make them look "scary"
Cropped
Stamped out unwanted items in background
Added boarder
Added Text
LOL :lol:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i61.photobucket​.com …y5005/Misc/346l​un42-1.jpg (external link)

Debi
"Dog's have owners. Cat's have staff"

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 10, 2009 13:35 as a reply to  @ Spidy's post |  #4

http://img.photobucket​.com …awg/emoticons/4​h77va1.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Retouch/clone
exposure
definition
shadows
monochrome mix
Noise reduction
Midnight efex.

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

Lore
Damn I failed the goat
2,966 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 10, 2009 18:43 as a reply to  @ Flo's post |  #5

CS2 - brightness/contrast, levels, curves, color balance, cloning, crop, lasso tool, color balance eyes, sharpening, dodging, burning, blur, vignette, resize, meow

http://i19.photobucket​.com …78/silentlore/3​46lun4.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Lore
flickr (external link) - Website (external link) - Blography (external link)
"Every photograph tells a story, What's your story?"

Jason ­ C
Goldmember
4,812 posts
Gallery: 139 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 11, 2009 00:59 as a reply to  @ Lore's post |  #6

"Don't mess with me, human..."

CS3:
High pass 5.0-soft light-81% opacity-mask out background/levels-auto/backgorund copy-clone stamp all background distractions/merge layers

open full body human pic/desaturate/merge/m​agnetic tool human/save layer copy/drag and drop into cat image

free transform human image/reduce size and rotate/eraser tool to human's edges and foot that is to go into cats mouth

merge/crop/sigh at my results/resize/save and post.

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
10,121 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 11, 2009 12:58 |  #7

Levels
Liquify tool on eyes, ears, mouth and nose
hue/sat on eyes
copy/paste lions teeth
crop/resize

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

ColinUK
149 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 11, 2009 18:11 as a reply to  @ monty28428's post |  #8

OK, not very pleased with this but here goes....

introduced him to the dog
eraser tool
cloned out ladder
clone tool on eyes and mouth

he doesn't look so mean now!

http://i104.photobucke​t.com …164/vwbus1972/3​46lun4.jpg (external link)

SX40, SX50.

Kendoway
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cropped and Creamed
3,793 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 12, 2009 16:55 |  #9

Ok, I was quite tardy between the end of 199 - and getting 200 up, so I owe you all a speedy judging - which goes up in 5 mins, barring any further entries. :)

☼ Christian D.
"Ask someone who’s running out of a burning home what they’ll grab. Nine times out of 10, it’s the photo album".
- Scott Bourne
Website (external link)

Kendoway
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cropped and Creamed
3,793 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 12, 2009 17:05 |  #10

Another great round everyone, and thanks for the stellar contributions! Nice to see such a wide variety of entries, from humorous, to creative, to disciplined– and that’s what makes these Before and After contests so much fun.

Ok, on to the judging – in the same order they appeared:

Douglas – A very nice job with this indeed, and I really like the circular white mask, and then the ears on top. It gives it a sort of “Out Of Bounds” feel to the entry (check the OOB competition if you haven’t seen it – which is a little dusty at the moment). I like the colorization of the eyes, but something about that orange nose seems just a tad off. Otherwise, I love it.

Spidy (Debi) – You get better and better with every competition, and have become a force to be reckoned with. The moment I saw this, I had a LOL, which is exactly the emotion that you were trying to evoke (I hope). Nice job with the liquefy tool (which I never touch – too powerful for me), and you got the eyes right on the money. A few black spots on those left whiskers, but hair is almost impossible to lasso/magic wand. Love the funny text, “Mr. Happy” indeed.

Flo – Excellent, and I love this. Many, many people are afraid to crop (that’s me! waves hand), and most people are really terrified to create “negative space” in an image by replacing it with a neutral/null – so that only a smaller portion of the photograph is revealed. Sorry if I sound like an art critic, but this was akin to doing a selective color re-touch, but pushing it even farther and harder. This is the kind of edit I would expect to see from a professional, and that’s you. You lost a little sharpness around the eyes and nose, but it’s negligible.

Lore – I always look forward to your edits because they are sensible and dependable almost every single time (though I’ve seen you go crazy – and I like that too). I like the crop here, and you’ve created a nice rule of thirds out of my dead center photograph. The viewer is drawn immediately to the eyes, and that’s what I like to see. As Debi did before, excellent job stamping out the clutter in the background.

Jason – Great attempt at pulling off a funny one, and it did make me laugh! A Photoshop of this style is still well beyond my capabilities, so I regularly try to learn from Dozer, our resident PS expert. If you’ve not see the “Photoshop Tricky Pictures” thread or the “Show your Multiple Personality shots” thread, go look at some of his work. You’ve almost got the mouth right, though you need some better overlap on that upper lip, so that it obscures the leg properly. And lastly the color balance and lighting between the cat and the person objects need some tweaks to fully suspend our disbelief.. An excellent Photoshop otherwise.

Monty – Ah Monty, this one rocks. Almost 100% perfect, and I know how hard it is to find an object that matches the perspective of the recipient object. The mouth and tongue are lined up almost bang on, but still off maybe 5 % - and I would have smudged or blurred the lip on the upper left hand side. Maybe made the tongue a bit pinker? Remove that tiny red spot on the upper lip? Ok, I’ve got out to the Nit Plantation to do some harvesting, because I really can’t find anything wrong with. It’s a d**n fine Photoshop, par excellence indeed!

Colin – You win the prize for the most “expressive entry”. The sad face is perfect, and I can’t really figure how you did that with the eyes. The dog layer in back needs some clean up work around the edges, and you’ve got the dog a little too sharp back there for an object that should be blurry based on the original DOF. I might have been tempted to simply hit that with some lens blur. Again, I love the “sad cat” expression – great work on that.

Again great work everyone – and you all should be proud of your entries!

3rd Place Goes to Debi: The eyes, color adjustments, and text are great,. Nice work!

2nd Place Goes to Monty: Again, an excellent, creative, and detailed Photoshop.

And the Winner is...!

IMAGE: http://i25.tinypic.com/2lw7psw.jpg

Congrats Flo – awesome work. By the way, that Title Fairy thread is deadly – I got smacked yesterday :p

☼ Christian D.
- Scott Bourne
Website (external link)

masterwillems
502 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 12, 2009 17:06 as a reply to  @ Kendoway's post |  #11

Congratz Flo!

Hello!
Gear

Name:
Jeroen

SJC ­ from ­ VT
Cream of the Crop
7,200 posts
Gallery: 153 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 12, 2009 17:20 |  #12

Great choice for the winner. I whole heartedly agreed. Congrats Flo. Loved your version.

*Sandy* "If we all had positive attitudes...we could change the world"
7D ll and 60D plus some other stuff! My Flickr http://flic.kr/ps/FEPL​p (external link)

Jason ­ C
Goldmember
4,812 posts
Gallery: 139 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 12, 2009 17:31 |  #13

Excellent choice! Congrats Flo, awesome edit indeed.

Thanks Chris for the words, and you are spot on on all your calls regarding my entry. I need to see the wizards in action, learn and practice. My PS skills are entry level at best, but that's were we ALL start from.

AND, great edits from all contestants!!!

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,774 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 12, 2009 17:52 |  #14

Awesome edit Flo, well done!

Great job everyone and another great job at judging as well Chris!

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 12, 2009 22:08 as a reply to  @ -Douglas-'s post |  #15

Thanks ! Lol....I thought Monty's was hilarious!

I love this and don't always enter....but animals are fun.thanks again and will post another shortly.:D

Chris, your Crit's were fabulous!

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

sponsored links

2,932 views & 0 likes for this thread
Before & After #200
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.