Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Jul 2009 (Tuesday) 16:27
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Auto-ISO - Do you use it?"
Yes! All the time.
9.2%
No! Not a chance.
48.6%
Sometimes
21.2%
I would use it more if I could configure it
14.5%
My camera doesn't have this option.
6.5%

325 voters, 325 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Auto-ISO: Do you use it?

Jason ­ C
do I need to submit a resume...?
4,828 posts
Gallery: 139 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 09, 2009 00:50 |  #46

No.

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

sponsored links
aebrown
Maybe the next victim
1,285 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 09, 2009 01:00 |  #47

I don't trust it. When it goes to ISO 800 in broad daylight, it's not worth it. I like to control how much noise is in my pictures.

-Aaron Brown :D
1D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 35L, 85L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 580 EX II
Where to goandWhat to do (external link) in the Pacific Northwest
My Flickr (external link)

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 09, 2009 02:45 |  #48

It takes 1/2 a second to change the ISO it if you know your camera - so all you "I need that 1 second" folks out there - you're really only losing half a second ~ Better than losing a whole second, am I right ;)

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 09, 2009 07:56 |  #49

darosk wrote in post #8249664 (external link)
It takes 1/2 a second to change the ISO it if you know your camera - so all you "I need that 1 second" folks out there - you're really only losing half a second ~ Better than losing a whole second, am I right ;)

great, so you're only missing half as many shots, but still, you're missing shots...

OK, new question. For those of us that HAVE used a body with working Auto ISO AND HAVE USED THE FEATURE (ie you didn't just use the body w/o touching auto ISO), did you like it, would you still use it if you had that body permanently?

My answer is a solid yes, from playing with a friends D300. It works amazingly well.

I just don't understand how so many of you can be so against something that saves time though... Did you **** about meters in cameras? Did you **** about AF?

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

jaybird
perverted infatuation with ducks
810 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 09, 2009 08:03 |  #50

I use it when I want to take quick snapshots. Something that I really won't be processing or doing much with other than putting up on facebook.

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯​¯¯¯¯
Money Pit / Gear List
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jasonjoyce (external link)

charld
235 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 09, 2009 15:51 |  #51

I think its a great feature but needs some improvement. I tried it out on my last trip.
I was going in and out of bright sunlight and dark temples with 24-70 and 70-200 and
i was shooting in AV mode most of the time.

1) I want to be able to limit how high the ISO can go...
(This feature ignores the custom function setting that limits user selectable max iso levels)

2) I want the ability to select a higher min shutter speed when using this function...1/60 is not enough...1/300 would be nice..

My Gear

BEEEsH
THREAD ­ STARTER
652 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 10, 2009 15:43 |  #52

jacobsen1 wrote in post #8250409 (external link)
great, so you're only missing half as many shots, but still, you're missing shots...

OK, new question. For those of us that HAVE used a body with working Auto ISO AND HAVE USED THE FEATURE (ie you didn't just use the body w/o touching auto ISO), did you like it, would you still use it if you had that body permanently?

My answer is a solid yes, from playing with a friends D300. It works amazingly well.

I just don't understand how so many of you can be so against something that saves time though... Did you **** about meters in cameras? Did you **** about AF?

Talk about ****. lol.

Some people want to know what they're shooting. When I set my camera to ISO100 or ISO400 I have an idea of what type of image I'm going to have. People don't want this changing on them. Even though these cameras have these great features and benefits, there are some things people don't want automated.

I used a d300 for a good while, and didn't use it then either.

EOS 5D MK II
16-35mm F2.8L II - 24-105mm F4L - 35mm F1.4L - 85mm F1.2L II - 70-300 IS -
580EX II - MANFROTTO 055D w/RC 141 - DOMKE F3X - Nanuk 940 White

ppusa
179 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 11, 2009 05:10 |  #53

BEEEsH wrote in post #8258644 (external link)
Some people want to know what they're shooting.

And some other people prefer to capture the moment (even with slightly less ideal settings) if the other option is to miss the moment.

Sometimes I feel like people don't understand that cameras are used for many different purposes and that it doesn't make sense to create a new camera for every possible purpose. Some people make art and others use a camera to document how they disassembled a gadget so that they can assemble it again. Still they might use the same camera.

A camera that contains only the settings that I (or almost any POTN member) use wouldn't be a big hit as people would feel very limited with it. The vast majority of 40D owners probably have never controlled a remote flash with their camera but I haven't seen anyone demanding that this feature should be removed from the camera.

I can see why some people have no use for auto-iso. It should be also quite obvious why there are good photographers who find the feature useful in their kind of photography. And using a feature doesn't necessarily mean that the feature is used all the time.

My 40D and 5Dmk2 are better cameras for me because they have auto-iso. They would be even better if the feature would be more configurable so that I would have more control.

http://learnsee.wordpr​ess.com/ (external link)

PIXmantra
Goldmember
1,193 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 11, 2009 08:38 |  #54

The funny thing is that...

ppusa wrote in post #8261460 (external link)
I can see why some people have no use for auto-iso. It should be also quite obvious why there are good photographers who find the feature useful in their kind of photography. And using a feature doesn't necessarily mean that the feature is used all the time.

...AutoISO frees you to concentrate at the moment, at the capture, with no worries... therefore helps you being a better photographer, while transparently transcending the classical dynamics of exposure.

It can't be any simpler. :cool:

PIX

Click here for FlexNR-Professional Noise Reduction for EOS 1D3
CPS Member/ 2x1DMKIII/ 70D/ Pentax MX
300mm f/2.8 L II IS/ 24mm f/1.4 L II/ 35mm f/2.0 IS/ 17-40 f/4 L/ 24-105 f/4 L IS / 70-200 f/4 L IS
270EX/ 580EX/ 580EX II/ ST-E2/ CP-E3
HP Z800 x2 XEON, x12 Core/ EIZO CG241W/ Viewsonic VP930b

F4 ­ Cyborg
952 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 11, 2009 10:12 |  #55
bannedPermanent ban

I wonder, if it jumps to 400 or 800 in broad daylight, is it adjusting because the shutter is set to fast for a lower ISO, or is it because the Ap is set to small for the same reason's. We spend untold amounts of money for a better, faster camera, lens, full of the latest tech. Then we shot everything in total manual mode ( I do when I can control all aspect's of what I am about to shoot ). If there are variables that I have no control over, then I use on of the features in the camera that I purchased it for. Is it always the best choice? maybe not. If I drop one setup and grab the other to get that about to happen sweet shot. Will I remember to change to the setting I need? since the last setting was in a well let spot, now its under the hood of shade. Oh Ohh I gota get the camera pointed that direction an press the shutter befor I even get my eye to the view. You've all done it. Lens barrel in one hand camera body in the other. Almost to the eye but the scene is unfolding in front of you ,PRESS that BUTTON maybe get the shot, get that camera to your eye center in on the rest unfolding in front of you. click, click, click. got it yeahhhhhhhh. Crap didn't have auto focus on. err yeah I did Im lazy so long ago when everyone said they wouldn't use auto focus, I would. Not all the time just when I can't control or don't have that split second time to control it. Same goes for Av, Tv, (err yuck sometimes white balance). Oughta do a poll on how many will admit they didn't have the camera to there eye (by chance, not on purpose like we do holding it over the crowd) humm there's another time when some auto something may come handy.
I have a 6 speed autotrans in one of my car's. If I feel a bit err and want to romp on it, is autotrans the best way? Naa, it gots a manual side also with a paddle to stick in a gear and keep it there till the engine starts backing off or I flip it one way or the other,

Same for camera bodies. Use it to your advantage, thats what ya spent the big bucks fer.
When You have the time to adjust everything, to get the best out of it , He(( yeah. Other times when you gota pull a rabbit out of the hat, I hop that hat has, a rabbit in it.
(yeah I know hop is hope)

Some Time's The Machines Are Better Behaved.

OR Are The?? :twisted:

Cyborg: part Man, part Machine (the machine gives a hoot!)

F4 ­ Cyborg
952 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 11, 2009 10:35 |  #56
bannedPermanent ban

Safety Shift is another new feature designed to keep exposures correct. ISO speed safety shift is provided via C.Fn I 8-2. If the correct exposure cannot be obtained with the Tv, or Av mode, the ISO speed is automatically shifted within ISO 100 - 3200 to obtain the correct exposure.
I sure hope (hop) so, that's why I received last week both the D MkIII's I ordered. That and a far better dare I say it ( Auto Focus).

Cyborg: part Man, part Machine (the machine gives a hoot!)

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 11, 2009 12:18 |  #57
bannedPermanently

darosk wrote in post #8249664 (external link)

Yeah he's right. auto = booo

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 11, 2009 23:08 |  #58

It doesn't think like I think.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

lunasicc
269 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 11, 2009 23:24 |  #59

no matter what on my 40d it always stays at 400..its pretty retarded if you ask me

Grip'd 40d,tamron 17-50 f/2.8,8mm peleng,1.8 50mm,430 EX (external link)

Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 11, 2009 23:41 |  #60

One thing I didn't like about Auto ISO is the fact it will pick sub-stop ISO levels. From what I have heard 320 ISO generates more noise than 400 ISO but I am not sure if it is true or not, but I also found the algorithm was really bad.

5D III, 24-105mm f/4 L, 135mm f/2 L, 70-200mm f/4 IS L, 580EX II
Full Gear List
Flickr Photostream (external link)

sponsored links

5,332 views & 0 likes for this thread
Auto-ISO: Do you use it?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.