Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 08:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!

this thread is locked
sheawyatt
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 06, 2009 00:36 as a reply to  @ post 8230693 |  #1771

And some more:

Went for a quality hike in Strathcona Park. 21km in 8 hours (2 hours worth of breaks and picture taking included) with a full load of camera gear, in 30C weather. I was pretty spent afterwards. These 4 were all with the 24TS

Playing with the reverse tilt.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i169.photobucke​t.com …-35-24_StrathconaPark.jpg (external link)

http://i169.photobucke​t.com …-23-44_StrathconaPark.jpg (external link)

http://i169.photobucke​t.com …-39-13_StrathconaPark.jpg (external link)

Man I love the sub-alpine environment.

http://i169.photobucke​t.com …-42-58_StrathconaPark.jpg (external link)

X-T3 | 10-24 f/4 | 18-55 f/2.8-4 | 16 f/1.4 | 80 f/2.8 Macro | 55-200 f/3.5-4.8 | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 | 1.4x TC |
Marketplace Feedback: Link
www.sheawyatt.ca (external link)

sponsored links
The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 06, 2009 00:47 as a reply to  @ sheawyatt's post |  #1772

WOW!

Excellent series of photos, Shea!

That park looks like a wonderful place to get away from it all and you certainly got some great shots of it! The humming birds were nice too!

I think I'm going to do a similar trip, up north to Algonquin park, here in Ontario next week and get away from my sun set shots for a while! ;)

The one I just posted was not an HDR, btw. Just caught the light at the right moment and processed it carefully afterward. The lens flare was actually there in the original and just helped along a bit in post. ;)

Cheers!

GEAR LIST l WEBSITE (external link)

sheawyatt
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 06, 2009 00:54 |  #1773

Thanks Jeff! The park is a great place, especially once you get away from the well-travelled day-hike trails.

That's amazing that you were able to get that much detail out of the foreground and sky with one exposure. I thought for sure there was at least a 2 exposure blend going on there.

X-T3 | 10-24 f/4 | 18-55 f/2.8-4 | 16 f/1.4 | 80 f/2.8 Macro | 55-200 f/3.5-4.8 | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 | 1.4x TC |

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 06, 2009 01:16 |  #1774

sheawyatt wrote in post #8230759 (external link)
Thanks Jeff! The park is a great place, especially once you get away from the well-travelled day-hike trails.

That's amazing that you were able to get that much detail out of the foreground and sky with one exposure. I thought for sure there was at least a 2 exposure blend going on there.

I've been learning to shoot completely manually over the past few weeks and am getting better at working with and trusting the light meter in the camera to adjust my exposure settings. Prior to that, I was always shooting in the Av mode, paying almost no attention to the meter in the camera and blowing a ton of shots. Manual is truly the way to go when you have the time to set up your shots.

I've also been using the raw converter in my Photoshop Elements program to do the conversions as it seems to have more shadow extraction powers then DPP and that's also helped me to gt some truly HDR like results without the multiple exposures.

And back to your pictures;

I really liked the tilt shift pics you posted and the light trail through the trees was my favorite. You mentioned a reverse tilt setting for that shot. Was that to flatten out the tree-lined hill you were shooting? I was sort of puzzled by that one. Could you explain a bit more about that scene and why you chose to shoot it that way? I'm always interesting in learning!

Cheers!

sheawyatt
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 06, 2009 18:20 |  #1775

I agree on the manual setting for shots that you have time to set up. I shoot 80-90% manual all the time, unless there is action or rapidly changing light.

As for the reverse tilt, it is basically using the tilt function to limit the DOF rather than extending it. If you look at the picture of the trees, the image is OOF to either side of the light, but sharp from foreground to background along a 'wedge' of focus. That was achieved by tilting the lens in the horizontal plane, rather than the vertical (which would be done if I wanted an infinite DOF). Here is an older shot where I used a similar technique:

http://i169.photobucke​t.com …06-55_MountWashington.jpg (external link)

For the tree shot I didn't nail the position of the focus wedge as well as I had thought, as you can see the OOF portion on the right of the frame is less so than the left side. I should have used my angle finder to increase the magnification, but I was being attacked by swarms of mosquitos so was in a rush.

People often use the "reverse tilt" (not sure if that is the correct term for it) to create a miniature look to landscape shots -- it is widely abused and gives the look most people associate with a tilted shot. I use it very sparingly to draw the viewers attention to a specific detail in the scene.

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 06, 2009 18:52 as a reply to  @ sheawyatt's post |  #1776

Cool!

So you used that adjustment more so to create a focus zone more so then to do perspective corrections! Very interesting!

About the mosquitoes, that's a huge problem here too at this time of year, especially with the cooler summer we've had so far, the black flies and mosquitoes are thick and hungry!

I remember going up north a couple of years ago and had to be covered from head to toe, even wearing gloves and netting over my head and still came back from the trip with hundreds of bites on my wrists, where there was a tiny gap for them to get in and bite me when I was shooting. It made it incredibly difficult to really concentrate on my shooting and ended up with a bunch of rotten pictures and the firm idea to never go back to the woods at that time of year again! :D

Kudos to you for surviving and coming away with some some very good shots!

Cheers!

bsaber
I have no idea what's going on
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 06, 2009 19:31 |  #1777

sheawyatt wrote in post #8230693 (external link)
Being mobbed by hummingbirds at the feeder -- there were up to 25 at the feeder at a time, which made for some great photo ops.
QUOTED IMAGE

Excuse me...
QUOTED IMAGE

Got lucky on this one. I prefocused on an area away from the feeder where they were hovering before going in, and got a couple sharp shots. This is the full frame with 300L + 1.4XTC. I could have used 8.5 fps here, but I only had my 1Ds with me.
QUOTED IMAGE

Resting in the tree.
QUOTED IMAGE

I need to get me a hummingbird feeder! :p

bsaber
I have no idea what's going on
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 06, 2009 19:32 |  #1778

Oh, nice shots btw.

sheawyatt
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 06, 2009 19:33 |  #1779

Yeah, that's a good way of putting it. The tilt is used to manipulate the focus zone, while the shift is for correcting perspective.

The worst part about the bugs was that I forgot to pack any sort of bug spray...I thought it was in my bag, but once I got out there it was definitely missing. Fortunately the breeze picked up a bit once I was out of the woods, so the bugs were blown away for most of the day. I just hightailed it through any wooded parts after the first few attempts to take pictures, as the bugs were unbearable.

pingflood
247 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 06, 2009 21:26 |  #1780

To me, this camera pretty much defines "subtle". It doesn't pop or scream at you, it just renders things so... wonderfully.

IMAGE: http://beyondthematrix.com/VH0M6547.jpg

IMAGE: http://beyondthematrix.com/VH0M6510.jpg

1DsII, 7D, EF 85/1.8, EF 50/1.4, EF 24-105L, EF 100-400L, EF 400/5.6L, EF 500/4L, Samyang 14/2.8, Zeiss ZE 50/1.4 Planar

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 06, 2009 21:36 as a reply to  @ pingflood's post |  #1781

Ping,

Really love that second shot!

Great composition! ;)

Cheers!

jvolkman
118 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 12, 2009 08:37 |  #1782

My friend has a 1Ds2 with 12 (yes, a dozen) clicks. His dad (not a photographer) got it as a gift years ago and barely took it out of the box. Now he has it and is looking to sell.

Anyway, I've currently got a 5d2. I've never really used the video features and I'd love to have the better AF system. I'm going to have to read through this thread!

5D Mk II | EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 DO IS| 580EX II | 580EX I

Jman13
Cream of the Crop
5,564 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 12, 2009 09:11 |  #1783

jvolkman wrote in post #8266562 (external link)
My friend has a 1Ds2 with 12 (yes, a dozen) clicks. His dad (not a photographer) got it as a gift years ago and barely took it out of the box. Now he has it and is looking to sell.

Anyway, I've currently got a 5d2. I've never really used the video features and I'd love to have the better AF system. I'm going to have to read through this thread!

Who buys a 1Ds II for a non-photographer?

Jordan Steele - http://www.jordansteel​e.com (external link)
Admiring Light - http://www.admiringlig​ht.com (external link)
---------------
Canon EOS R5 | R6 | RF 24-105mm f/4L IS | RF 35mm f/1.8 | RF 50mm f/1.8 | RF 85mm f/2 | RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | Sigma 12-24mm f/4 | Sigma 135mm f/1.8 | Tamron 35mm f/1.4 | TTArtisan 11mm Fisheye

jvolkman
118 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 12, 2009 09:17 |  #1784

Jman13 wrote in post #8266660 (external link)
Who buys a 1Ds II for a non-photographer?

At the time he was a PA state senator. I don't ask questions... :confused:

5D Mk II | EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 DO IS| 580EX II | 580EX I

Jman13
Cream of the Crop
5,564 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 12, 2009 09:58 |  #1785

Even with unlimited funds, that's a silly purchase. No non-photographer wants a 1D body...for the non-photographer, they are too complicated, too big and WAY too heavy.

Jordan Steele - http://www.jordansteel​e.com (external link)
Admiring Light - http://www.admiringlig​ht.com (external link)
---------------
Canon EOS R5 | R6 | RF 24-105mm f/4L IS | RF 35mm f/1.8 | RF 50mm f/1.8 | RF 85mm f/2 | RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | Sigma 12-24mm f/4 | Sigma 135mm f/1.8 | Tamron 35mm f/1.4 | TTArtisan 11mm Fisheye

sponsored links

1,413,811 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.