Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 21 Dec 2006 (Thursday) 20:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Portable Media Storage

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 12, 2009 09:18 |  #31

Tareq wrote in post #8266398 (external link)
I have Epson P-4000 which is great, but after i upgraded to 1DsIII and Hasselblad i was worry that P-4000 80GB will be not enough, so i went with Vosonic VP8860 500GB, as a space it is incredible, but as functions or performances or features i really miss Epson.

I have an Epson P-5000 for use with my 40D and G9. It's great for off-loading my CF and SD cards at the end of the day when I travel. Best part is that you can do some editing and get rid of shots that just didn't turn out, and pass the thing around to share your photos.

Surprisingly, all the Epson viewers currently do not support RAW format for the 5DmkII. They put out a firmware update earlier this month (July 2) which added several additional RAW file support for Canon cameras (XSi, XS), but so far, no RAW support for the 5DmkII. :(

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

sponsored links
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 12, 2009 09:37 |  #32

tgara wrote in post #8266684 (external link)
I have an Epson P-5000 for use with my 40D and G9. It's great for off-loading my CF and SD cards at the end of the day when I travel. Best part is that you can do some editing and get rid of shots that just didn't turn out, and pass the thing around to share your photos.

Which tasks are, of course, easier and better, respectively, with a netbook.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 12, 2009 09:47 |  #33

I use a Hyperdrive and have been very satisfied, and have given them as gifts. If you put in your own laptop HD, it's not expensive at all. The instructions to do it are in a thread here on the forum.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 12, 2009 11:06 |  #34

hollis_f wrote in post #8266752 (external link)
Which tasks are, of course, easier and better, respectively, with a netbook.

When I said Editing, I meant only deleting shots that did not turn out, and not some level of post processing. When I am travelling, I do NOT want to spend my time post processing images. I save that for when I get home.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 12, 2009 11:14 |  #35

tgara wrote in post #8267079 (external link)
When I said Editing, I meant only deleting shots that did not turn out, and not some level of post processing. When I am travelling, I do NOT want to spend my time post processing images. I save that for when I get home.

Yup, that's what I meant. The larger screen of a netbook makes it easier to cull duds. It also makes it a lot easier to share the goodies in the bar in the evening.

Although I have Lightroom installed on it, I've never been tempted to try and process anything on the netbook.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,159 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Jul 12, 2009 11:26 |  #36

tgara wrote in post #8267079 (external link)

i don't do any serious editing on my netbook but even the simple editing is easier on a netbook. i usually also carry a laptop so a netbook makes more sense to me. in fact i sold my laptop as well as my epson when i got the netbook.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

sf_loft
212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 12, 2009 12:02 |  #37

Here is the netbook I got. It's not meant for post processing work, but I simply use it to back-up images so that I don't have to carry too many CF cards. It's the perfect travel companion when you are traveling. Park yourself at an cafe with wifi and you can do a lot more than what portable media storage can.

http://www.amazon.com …=pc&qid=1247417​849&sr=1-3 (external link)

Canon EOS 5D Mark III & FUJIFILM X-T1 mirrorless

35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II |135mm f/2L | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/4L IS | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro
Benro C2691T Travel Angel | GP-E2 GPS | EF 1.4x III
FUJINON 23mm 1.4 | FUJINON 35mm 1.4 | FUJINON 56mm 1.2

flickr (external link)

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,840 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 12, 2009 13:20 |  #38

tgara wrote in post #8266684 (external link)

Surprisingly, all the Epson viewers currently do not support RAW format for the 5DmkII. They put out a firmware update earlier this month (July 2) which added several additional RAW file support for Canon cameras (XSi, XS), but so far, no RAW support for the 5DmkII. :(

Strange, why so? i didn't try with my Epson P-4000 if it accepts my 1DsIII RAW files or Hasselblad H3D.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 12, 2009 15:32 |  #39

hollis_f wrote in post #8267116 (external link)
Yup, that's what I meant. The larger screen of a netbook makes it easier to cull duds. It also makes it a lot easier to share the goodies in the bar in the evening.

Sorry Frank, but showing up in the bar with a netbook would certainly raise some eyebrows, not go over well with the ladies, and shout G-E-E-K!. :razz: The Epson is cool and sexy, and the ladies at the bar go, Ohhh, show me that!

Seriously, culling the duds on the Epson is quite easy since it does have a 4 inch screen. It is far easier to carry, and passing it around is also easy since it is about the size of a paperback. Granted, some OLD FOLKS may need the larger screen of the netbook to see the photos, but not in my crowd. :cool:

Strange, why so? i didn't try with my Epson P-4000 if it accepts my 1DsIII RAW files or Hasselblad H3D.

I am not sure why this is so, but from what I've read on several reviews, the Epsons cannot process thumbnails or view images from RAW files generated by the high megapixel cameras, at least not yet (the 5DMkII is 21 MP). Of course, you can back up the RAW files from these cameras, it's just that you cannot see the images. One way to get around this would be to shoot RAW+JPG, where you would be able to save both and see the JPG.

In any event, I'd be interested to know if your two cameras will show RAW thumbnails and images with your P-4000.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

40d
437 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 12, 2009 16:05 |  #40

Netbooks are cool but still take up a lot of space compared to the Creative Vision W or the Epsons. And I'm guessing they don't have a built in CF slot either.

Photowebby (external link) :: Take Time to Think (external link) :: Your New Designer (external link) :: Doodls (external link) :: Gear
"I have a photographic memory. Unfortunately, it only offers same-day service."
"A picture is worth a thousand words. Make sure they are well written." - me

Tareq
17,840 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 12, 2009 16:07 |  #41

tgara wrote in post #8268136 (external link)
Sorry Frank, but showing up in the bar with a netbook would certainly raise some eyebrows, not go over well with the ladies, and shout G-E-E-K!. :razz: The Epson is cool and sexy, and the ladies at the bar go, Ohhh, show me that!

Seriously, culling the duds on the Epson is quite easy since it does have a 4 inch screen. It is far easier to carry, and passing it around is also easy since it is about the size of a paperback. Granted, some OLD FOLKS may need the larger screen of the netbook to see the photos, but not in my crowd. :cool:

I am not sure why this is so, but from what I've read on several reviews, the Epsons cannot process thumbnails or view images from RAW files generated by the high megapixel cameras, at least not yet (the 5DMkII is 21 MP). Of course, you can back up the RAW files from these cameras, it's just that you cannot see the images. One way to get around this would be to shoot RAW+JPG, where you would be able to save both and see the JPG.

In any event, I'd be interested to know if your two cameras will show RAW thumbnails and images with your P-4000.

WOW, my P-4000 never show H3D files [not supported] but my RAW files from my 1DsIII the 21mp camera are clear and supported, so check your Epson viewer.
Maybe one day if i have a time i will ask one of my friends who owns 5D MKII to test his CF, or if someone has 5DII RAW files to send me and i can check then it will be a good idea.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 12, 2009 16:32 |  #42

Tareq wrote in post #8268258 (external link)
WOW, my P-4000 never show H3D files [not supported] but my RAW files from my 1DsIII the 21mp camera are clear and supported, so check your Epson viewer.
Maybe one day if i have a time i will ask one of my friends who owns 5D MKII to test his CF, or if someone has 5DII RAW files to send me and i can check then it will be a good idea.

Thanks for this Tareq. Although I've only heard this second hand, I'm not sure why the RAW files would be supported on your 1DsIII but not the 5DMkII. From the specs, the systems seem pretty much the same (14 bit, 21 MP). I note that the Epson site does not list the 1DsIII as supported RAW files. But they can be viewed on your camera. Strange.

http://www.epson.com …odoid=61555441&​foid=65843 (external link)

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

Tareq
17,840 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 12, 2009 16:36 |  #43

tgara wrote in post #8268354 (external link)
Thanks for this Tareq. Although I've only heard this second hand, I'm not sure why the RAW files would be supported on your 1DsIII but not the 5DMkII. From the specs, the systems seem pretty much the same (14 bit, 21 MP). I note that the Epson site does not list the 1DsIII as supported RAW files. But they can be viewed on your camera. Strange.

http://www.epson.com …odoid=61555441&​foid=65843 (external link)

Because my 1DsIII RAW file is .CR2, maybe your 5DII RAW is .CR4 .... :D;)

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

Tareq
17,840 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 12, 2009 16:38 |  #44

And that list on the website is old, so they included the available cameras that time [maybe 2005 or 2006], but at least they wrote which extension it can support, so if they will produce .CR2 cameras forever it will be supported, but if they change that, the n Epson must produce another viewer to support the new formats or extensions.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 12, 2009 16:43 as a reply to  @ Tareq's post |  #45

I think all the Canon RAW files are .CR2.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

sponsored links

7,803 views & 0 likes for this thread
Portable Media Storage
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.