Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 10 Jul 2009 (Friday) 14:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help! Albino bridesmaid...Bride is worried about photos.

starrynigh8
21 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 10, 2009 14:58 |  #1

I have a wedding I am doing in August and the bride just informed me that she has an albino bridesmaid. She showed me a picture and the young woman is extremely white, cotton tail white hair(as we say in the southern U.S.), and pink tinted eyes since the iris has no real color other than the blood from veins that make it look pink. Every photo taken of her she has completely red eyes and is totally washed out. Red eye reduction on cameras don't really work for her either. The bride is worried it might make her photos look bad or that it might be difficult for me during editing. :confused:
I have tried to find tips on lighting or suggestions on how to photograph an albino person, but I have found nothing.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Suggestions? Thoughts? Am I going to spend hours fixing her eyes in photoshop regardless of what I do?

Thanks to anyone who has some suggestions. I appreciate it greatly!

www.boonestudios.net (currently under construction)

sponsored links
bric-a-brac
520 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 10, 2009 15:05 |  #2

other than the chorus of "shoot RAW" which will ensue (and I assume you already know), dial your contrast way down in picture styles and watch your histogram.

only fix the eyes on the images that prints are ordered from. If you're giving the wedding images on CD, well... it's probably best to explain to the bride the limitations of technology and the amount of time it would take to individually retouch all the eyes.

OR make everything black and white. :P

"a photograph isn't about what something looks like, but what it's like to look."
50D|35L|other stuff

starrynigh8
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 10, 2009 15:23 as a reply to  @ bric-a-brac's post |  #3

Thanks for responding! And yes, I anticipated the "shoot raw" suggestions would be on here! :) Luckily, the bride is an understanding friend and she knows I can't spend every moment fixing each eye all the photos. The bridesmaid who is albino also has a lazy eye. So, I will already be trying to catch her eyes when they are facing foward at the same time. Hopefully it won't be too big of a deal.......plus side is that the bride likes black and white photos alot, so maybe she'll order mostly black and white! lol.

I was just checking to see if there were any lighting techiniques that might help the situation.

Thank you for your suggestions!

www.boonestudios.net (currently under construction)

gmacmt
373 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 11, 2009 23:31 |  #4

starrynigh8 wrote in post #8258562 (external link)
The bridesmaid who is albino also has a lazy eye.

bw!

This sounds more and more like a black and white wedding.

I like canon glass.

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 11, 2009 23:33 |  #5

bric-a-brac wrote in post #8258484 (external link)
other than the chorus of "shoot RAW" which will ensue (and I assume you already know), dial your contrast way down in picture styles and watch your histogram.

only fix the eyes on the images that prints are ordered from. If you're giving the wedding images on CD, well... it's probably best to explain to the bride the limitations of technology and the amount of time it would take to individually retouch all the eyes.

OR make everything black and white. :P

if he shoots in RAW there will be no point in changing his picture styles... since they dont do anything to the images while shooting in raw

David W.

bnlearle
Goldmember
1,901 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 12, 2009 02:05 |  #6

Honestly, don't make her "un-albino" in the photos. Just get good photos of her. It's not like she doesn't know that she's albino, you know? She has albino eyes - just photograph them well! Does the bride expect you to give them a different color?

We're photographers - not magicians. We photograph real people - we don't turn people into other things. Just get good photos of her and you're doing your job ;) Don't get pressured by the bride to make her something she isn't :)

Bobby

twitter (external link) // facebook (external link)
Website (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photographer blog (external link)

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,805 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 12, 2009 02:17 |  #7

bnlearle wrote in post #8265839 (external link)
Honestly, don't make her "un-albino" in the photos. Just get good photos of her. It's not like she doesn't know that she's albino, you know? She has albino eyes - just photograph them well! Does the bride expect you to give them a different color?

We're photographers - not magicians. We photograph real people - we don't turn people into other things. Just get good photos of her and you're doing your job ;) Don't get pressured by the bride to make her something she isn't :)

Bobby

Nicely said, Bobby. I tell all my brides that I shoot real life and I don't brush out moles, birthmarks or tatoos.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

bric-a-brac
520 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 12, 2009 02:56 |  #8

canonnoob wrote in post #8265436 (external link)
if he shoots in RAW there will be no point in changing his picture styles... since they dont do anything to the images while shooting in raw

the more you have set in camera, the less you have to do in post.

"a photograph isn't about what something looks like, but what it's like to look."
50D|35L|other stuff

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 12, 2009 13:38 |  #9

bric-a-brac wrote in post #8265921 (external link)
the more you have set in camera, the less you have to do in post.

you dont get it... if he shoots RAW.. NONE of the camera settings apply to the final image... so things like the picture styles and such are useless...

David W.

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 12, 2009 13:40 |  #10

I agree with Bobby, we're here to capture moments and you should capture her for who she is.

Bryan

My Gear List

arnie12
Well, I thought I wasn't going to be noticed
391 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 12, 2009 13:46 |  #11

canonnoob wrote in post #8267687 (external link)
you dont get it... if he shoots RAW.. NONE of the camera settings apply to the final image... so things like the picture styles and such are useless...

You're both correct (in a way). Usually, the raw converter will start with the picture style and the white belance as written by the camera in the raw file. You can then change things to your liking. If those values are correct (i.e. they have the values you like) then your workflow is much faster because you don't need to change anything. ;)

http://www.modelmayhem​.com/1017634 (external link)
"Monsieur l'abbé, I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write." -- Voltaire

bric-a-brac
520 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 12, 2009 14:01 |  #12

arnie12 wrote in post #8267723 (external link)
You're both correct (in a way). Usually, the raw converter will start with the picture style and the white belance as written by the camera in the raw file. You can then change things to your liking. If those values are correct (i.e. they have the values you like) then your workflow is much faster because you don't need to change anything. ;)

bingo. RAW is a safety net; the more you get right to begin with, the less work you make for yourself when you get home.

50D|35L|other stuff

Mrsjperry
164 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 12, 2009 17:12 |  #13

bnlearle wrote in post #8265839 (external link)

Bobby

I 2nd that! :D

If you know your passion then you've found your purpose.

madhatter04
Goldmember
1,930 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 14, 2009 22:08 |  #14

Hmm, if I were an albino bridesmaid and heard the bride was worried about my physical appearance ruining her photos, I'd shove the cake in her face myself!!

Designer // Art Director // Photographer
www.alexanderfitch.com (external link) | AlexFitchPhoto on Instagram (external link)

bnlearle
Goldmember
1,901 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 14, 2009 23:12 |  #15

Seriously.

Again, what does she expect you to do? I'm honestly curious?

twitter (external link) // facebook (external link)
Website (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photographer blog (external link)

sponsored links

3,758 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need help! Albino bridesmaid...Bride is worried about photos.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.