Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Jul 2009 (Monday) 13:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5d MK II autofocus problems

ictionalfuture
275 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 13, 2009 13:15 |  #1

Hi.

My shiny new 5d MK II arrived today, but i have an initial disapointment, i will be using this camera in a lot of low light situations so decided to do a quick comparison with a friends 50d in my room lights down low looking into the cupboard which was fairly dark, the 50d Autofocus locked on in a split second, when i used the same lens ( 24-70) with the new MKII it just kept hunting and would could not get a focus lock, it seems fine in normal light conditions.

Has anyone else found this? Is it normal? Maybe im missing something ?

Any advice would be brilliant

Jamie

Whats a good photo: Is it pleasing to the eye?

Experimental:Landscape​:Accidental

sponsored links
westernminnguy
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 13, 2009 13:33 |  #2

Jamie,

Unless you are doing some tests to decide whether or not to keep your 5DMKII, my advice is to:

(1) Form no opinions for a while....just shoot the 5D2 and look at the results. Then shoot some more. :)

(2) Do no comparisons.

Your opinion a month from now could be totally different.

When you know the camera well, then do your comparisons if you want to.

Of my three Canon cameras, the 5D2 has exceeded my expectations; in all areas.

That doesn't mean my shots are all keepers, or all that good but when I use the 5D2 properly, it produces awesome images.

Best of luck.

:)

IMAGES (external link)

VIDEO YouTube (external link)

VIDEO Vimeo (external link)

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 13, 2009 13:35 |  #3

Are you using the center focus point or off center points?

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

ictionalfuture
THREAD ­ STARTER
275 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 13, 2009 13:43 |  #4

Tim- Same with center and off center.

Rog - I have every faith in the 5ds other capabilities and dont intend on giving up on it infact even if someone said yeah thats normal id still not take it back it just seems odd so i thought id see what you guys know.

Thanks for replying :)

Jamie

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jul 13, 2009 13:50 |  #5

Yeah, the AF in low light sucks... period. If this is a sticking point for you, look at another camera, because it's not going to get better.

I just deal with it - because I'm too in love with most everything else about the camera.

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 13, 2009 14:11 |  #6

Having an issue in lowlight with the outer points I can see, but not with the center point. My 5D MKII is at least as fast with the center point as my 50D is. Not sure what the issue could be.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

ictionalfuture
THREAD ­ STARTER
275 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 13, 2009 14:33 |  #7

Hi Todd, Thanks for that, part of me is relived that its not a fault, and part of me is disapointed, that it is such a big difference from a camera that cost half as much. Ill get used to it though.

Cheers Guys

Looks like its not just me
http://www.redbubble.c​om …dmkii-low-light-autofocus (external link)

yogibear
36 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 13, 2009 14:37 as a reply to  @ ictionalfuture's post |  #8

In low light, I usually mount a ste2 on my 5d2 so I can use the low light assist beam. Seems to help the camera focus a lot faster in the dark.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 13, 2009 14:46 |  #9

The center AF point on the 5DMKII is OK. Outer AF points are junk in low light, especially compared to the 1DMKIII.

But folks...you should have known this coming in. I did and the AF performance was not the reason I purchased this camera for. That's why I don't do too much complaining. :-)

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jul 13, 2009 14:47 |  #10

yogibear wrote in post #8273306 (external link)
In low light, I usually mount a ste2 on my 5d2 so I can use the low light assist beam. Seems to help the camera focus a lot faster in the dark.

Yeah, or go real low-tech and use a mag-lite like I do... hehe :p

ictionalfuture
THREAD ­ STARTER
275 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 13, 2009 15:01 |  #11

Hi Yogi so you use a £100 wireless transmitter for the infared af assist, clever... Expensive ...but it might do the trick, Not good for shooting concerts though where no flash is allowed as i bet the bouncers will see it an take it straight off the menu.

A voice in the back of my head is now saying d700, no i cant turn to the dark side ive got to many nice lens's ha ha :)

westernminnguy
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 13, 2009 16:06 |  #12

ictionalfuture wrote in post #8273006 (external link)
Rog - I have every faith in the 5ds other capabilities and dont intend on giving up on it infact even if someone said yeah thats normal id still not take it back it just seems odd so i thought id see what you guys know.

Thanks for replying :)

Jamie

Jamie,

Enjoy your new 5DII. Great camera. :)

My guess(and it's just that..a guess)is that your 5DII won't be used in extreme low light...and if it is, manual focusing or some other method will work.

When I bought my XH A1 kit, I bought the XH A-1 for it's reputation of doing well in extreme conditions...including low light.

What I found was that the XH A1 did very well in most low light situations. Where the A1 struggled...in low light...so did just about every other camcorder from what I learned.

By the way, many videographers consider the 5DMKII the 'king' of low light videography.

http://www.dvinfo.net …oting-candlelight-5d.html (external link)

Another quote from DVinfo and the 5D(not my quote). You'll find the following quote in this thread.

http://www.dvinfo.net …ting-5dmkii-purchase.html (external link)

"I just used the 50mm 1.4, because I was shooting hand held mostly. The thing about this camera that in my opinion trumps everything else is both the incredible low light performance and the ability to shoot shallow dof (since the firmware update). If you want to create video that doesn't look like video, and have a limited budget, then you need this camera".

Take care.

IMAGES (external link)

MinhThien
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 13, 2009 16:54 |  #13

nicksan wrote in post #8273348 (external link)
The center AF point on the 5DMKII is OK. Outer AF points are junk in low light, especially compared to the 1DMKIII.

+1! This is so true! I use the(5d2) outer AF points once and was not happy..so now all i use is center and crop! My(sold) 1D3 is a different story.

Eric
R6 | rf50L | rf85L DS | ef200L IS | 470ex | 190CXPRO4 | 498RC2 | TT Streetwalker Roller| TT Restro 7 | F-stop Kenti |

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,317 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Jul 13, 2009 16:59 |  #14

ictionalfuture wrote in post #8272812 (external link)
Hi.

My shiny new 5d MK II arrived today, but i have an initial disapointment, i will be using this camera in a lot of low light situations so decided to do a quick comparison with a friends 50d in my room lights down low looking into the cupboard which was fairly dark, the 50d Autofocus locked on in a split second, when i used the same lens ( 24-70) with the new MKII it just kept hunting and would could not get a focus lock, it seems fine in normal light conditions.

Has anyone else found this? Is it normal? Maybe im missing something ?

Any advice would be brilliant

Jamie

i've never used the 5d II but i did own the 5d and it's supposed to have the same AF. also, i now own the 1d mark III as well as the 1ds mark III.

i just don't recall the 5d AF being that bad in any type of light as long as i was using good lenses and doing my job. it wasn't like i was initially blown away by 1d AF because i wasn't.

are you sure you're not having buyer's remorse or something?

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

westernminnguy
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 13, 2009 17:11 |  #15

MinhThien wrote in post #8274042 (external link)
+1! This is so true! I use the(5d2) outer AF points once and was not happy..so now all i use is center and crop! My(sold) 1D3 is a different story.

The orignal thread had to do with lowlight photography.

However Minh is correct in regards to his(sold)1D3.....

My 1DIIn with it's 45 AF polnts will best my 5DMKII big time when it comes to AF. Of course, my 1DIIn is missing a few features that my 5D2 has..including HD video and FF.

The good news is that there will be an upgrade to the 5DMKII including FF, HD video mode(including an XLR input, phantom power and manual audio I hope) as well as a faster frame rate.

It will be an upgraded version of this camera.

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …egoryid=139&mod​elid=15710 (external link)

The downside is that it will cost 2 to 3 three times what my 5DMKII cost...probably still worth that cost considering what video folks pay for a camera with similar features.

IMAGES (external link)

sponsored links

10,696 views & 0 likes for this thread
5d MK II autofocus problems
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.