Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 13 Jul 2009 (Monday) 09:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Charge for Brochure

britt777
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 13, 2009 09:55 |  #1

I have been asked to take photo to be used for a Brochure. What is a good price to ask for something like this. I know this has been asked a million times, I just don't have time to really search. They need an answer quickly.

Thanks so much Brittany

Brittany
www.shutterprophotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 13, 2009 10:44 |  #2

hmmmm, so much for quick....lol.
Anyone?

Brittany

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 13, 2009 13:31 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Similar to a job I've recently done; this requires your hourly fee for the shoot, any materials you use, plus the license to sell on the photographs that they use.

Step 1:

Identify with the client.
What do they need?
What do you need?
Take your half of what you need and multiply by 10-20 (just kidding).

Questions to ask:

What is your budget for this project?
How many copies are you planning to put out of this brochure?
How big of an image do they want?
What kind of photo-usage rights (I call them Licensing rights, though not many seem to either so best to go with both) would you like on the images?
-if they dont know, like my client didn't, then refer back to this thread-

Step 2

Determine what is your hourly rate.
Determine how much it is going to cost you to do what they ask and your materials fee including the time it takes, in hours, of how much time you require to do processing, burn cds, contract people, etc.
Make sure to include, again, how much time it takes you to do what you say you're going to do.

ie;

Recently I had 100 DVD slideshows to fill out and estimated it would take me 10 minutes per DVD...wrong...don't do what I do and make adjustments on the fly; if you don't know then get some concrete information (ie; ask on here "How long does it take to burn a DVD slideshow of 20 mbs of info?) before making any promises, especially in contract). But I learn best from mistakes...so moving on.

Step 3:

Once you have determined their needs and your needs, then you need to figure out what to charge for the license/usage rights of the image. This varies tremendously and to my knowledge there is no set calculation but if you go to this website that I have had positive experience before with, in the past with companies:

http://www.photographe​rsindex.com/stockprice​.htm (external link)

In your case you would want to go to "Advertising">Brochure>size of image>distribution>okay

Ballpark figure comes up..and you decide, based on that, what is best for you and your client to match their budget and yours.

Another good one, I'm told by another pro-photographer is:
http://www.cradocfotos​oftware.com/ (external link)

But it requires you to pay a bit at first, and I'm not sure how good it is but he says it's the best so, give it a look.

Step 4:
Do up a contract with them and get their signature or some form of letter from the company that says they've hired you to do X amount of work for X $$$.

I hope this helped!

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 13, 2009 14:41 |  #4

Thank you Karl. This gentleman wants to place an ad for his electrition business in the Century 21 Brochure. I told him $75 for 30min. He just wants 1 picture of his business truck to put in the ad.

Brittany

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 13, 2009 15:09 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Sounds good! Now to take care of the license; how big is the ad? how big will the photo be that he needs to make the ad?

It sounds like a lot of work but its not, really, and it guarantees your income a little more by selling licenses rather than images. Never give away your copyright. In his case he can either pay by usage or a one time fee for all around usage.

One time fee is the best way to go, and these are usually known as a Rights Managed Commercial license as it is promoting business that is for profit.

For this, I would say ..ballpark, at the minimum 200$-700$ on the high

So total costs, at the minimum, would be say 300$

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

James ­ Robert ­ Gratiot
104 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 13, 2009 23:51 as a reply to  @ Karl Johnston's post |  #6

Hey Brittany,

Without knowing the specifics... another way to go would a low base rate ($100 or so) along with a small amount (3 to 4 cents) for every brochure they print. This way, if they print some in the future, you'll still have some money coming your way.

Good luck!

Photo Marketing Blog: www.photomarketingmagi​c.blogspot.com/ (external link)

Twitter: @PhotographyProf

sponsored links

1,057 views & 0 likes for this thread
Charge for Brochure
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.