Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 14 Jul 2009 (Tuesday) 18:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Wedding - 11th July - Please C&C

jono01
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 14, 2009 18:28 |  #1

Hey Guys,

About a month ago a good school friend asked me to take photos at her wedding (pretty much because she knew I had a "big" camera)...I told them I'd do it for free and figured it was a good way to get some experience, they understood I wasn't pro but were happy for me to just have fun and try it out. All I had at my disposal was my 450D with the kit lens (18-55mm) and an external flash I borrowed from a friend.

In the few weeks before it I was frantically trying to get some ideas and advice and this forum was great! So just wanted to thank you all :)

The wedding was about 3 hours north of Sydney; outdoors at a venue called The Green Cathedral. Oh, and the groom wore a purple suit!! Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

IMAGE: http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/2796/img6831.jpg
IMAGE: http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/843/img6899z.jpg
IMAGE: http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/4747/img7119.jpg
IMAGE: http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7427/img7542.jpg
IMAGE: http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3973/img7544.jpg
IMAGE: http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/1970/img6991.jpg

Well yeah, this was my first post here too! Thanks everyone!
Jono

Jonathan David Photography
Wedding Photography (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)

sponsored links
Rachel ­ B
I normally pay attention
1,139 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 14, 2009 18:38 |  #2

not bad for a first wedding, cant wait to have a go at this myself :)
that first one needs a little more of something

2 is quite dreamy with the over exposed BG and the emotion in 3 is great capturing the emotion..

welcome to the site!

40d, 30d, Canon 17-40L, 70-200 2.8 ISL, 60mm 2.8, Sigma 30mm 1.4, 18-55 Kit, 430exII 2xYN-460 II Flashes

brennasg
"Late to the party!"
1,246 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 14, 2009 20:53 |  #3

Good job for first try! I'm sure they love them. I really like 2:)

Franklin Tn Baby Photographer (external link) | Blog! (external link) |Follow Sparkling Seal on Twitter (external link)|Facebook (external link)

hofajoab
208 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 15, 2009 07:18 |  #4

Good stuff. You're a brave man posting your first wedding as your first post :)

Purple suit rocks and they must have got a basket of hair care products as a gift I'm betting :lol:

http://www.pughphotogr​aphy.co.uk (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 15, 2009 08:14 |  #5

I think this is a nice collection of images and I'm sure the couple will love them. #2 is the best of what you posted.

Regarding Rachel's comment about #1 needing something, what it needs is the right focal point. My eye should be drawn down a path of boquets. Instead, I find myself focusing on the stomach of the girl with the purple gown. A different angle, more specific focus or other such approaches may have been more successful at drawing me to the flowers instead.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

jono01
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 18, 2009 03:53 |  #6

Thanks for the feedback guys :) Anyone else?

I'm looking to upgrade my lens (and body eventually) - what do you recommend for wedding photography? I've had a look at the gear that people have in their signatures, but what do you find you're using the most?

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan David Photography
Wedding Photography (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 18, 2009 06:17 |  #7

You'll find many strings talking about the best/most important wedding lenses over in the wedding talk section. For me, I like the 24-70.L on both my 50D and 5D2, but others will say the 17-55 is more valuable on a crop body.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

rammy
Goldmember
3,189 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jul 18, 2009 11:38 |  #8

jono01 wrote in post #8300693 (external link)
I'm looking to upgrade my lens (and body eventually) - what do you recommend for wedding photography? I've had a look at the gear that people have in their signatures, but what do you find you're using the most?

Thanks in advance!

A little more contrast would help.

For a camera and lens, I would highly recommend the 5DMkII and the L primes. The 24-70 F2.8L is a great lens too! I shot my sisters wedding with them last week as the main shooter. I won't be posting pics of it yet as they are on honeymoon and I want them to see them first :-)

Gear | Surrey Wedding Photographer (external link) | Surrey Wedding Photographer Blog (external link) | London Architecture Photographer (external link)

freebird
Goldmember
1,346 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 18, 2009 11:41 as a reply to  @ rammy's post |  #9

Dont be afraid to use flash outside.

Kathy ­ H
" it's a very handsome sheep! "
7,622 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 18, 2009 14:55 |  #10

#3 IS OUTSTANDING! I look at a lot of wedding images and it's not very often that one just overwhelms me...this one got my attention immediatly and the more I look at it the more I LOVE it. While it my have been a quick shot of a tender moment, IMO it is one of the most emotional, well captured images I have seen in a very very long time. It has so many points of interest and variety..the braid, the ring, the stripes & sparkles in his suit. BUT what gets me the most is the emotion, there is no doubt in my mind that this couple is VERY in love, the tear in her eye, the embrace, the hairs standing up on her arm, the tender indents by his fingers on her shoulder. I could go on & on (sorry, I'm a windbag lol) I LOVE THIS PHOTO! Many people critique about lighting, poses, compositions, PP, blah blah blah, and that's fine, but to me THIS SHOT is what it's all about! Cheers to you for getting this one!

I like the rest of the shots too, #1 doesn't do much for me but it's not a bad shot. The B&G look like they were great to work with.

Kathy H
BLOG (external link)

Kathy ­ H
" it's a very handsome sheep! "
7,622 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 18, 2009 14:58 |  #11

jono01 wrote in post #8300693 (external link)
Thanks for the feedback guys :) Anyone else?

Thanks in advance!

I meant to add this to my last post but I got carried away with the image.:)

My most used wedding lens is a 17-55 2.8 IS. Second most used is a 70-200 2.8 IS and I usually shoot with a 40D body and 580 flash.

Kathy H
BLOG (external link)

sponsored links

1,607 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Wedding - 11th July - Please C&C
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.