Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 16 Jul 2009 (Thursday) 13:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Portable lighting.

Tlee05
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Suck these toes"
1,134 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 17, 2009 06:19 |  #16

MR do little wrote in post #8295287 (external link)
Hi! Robertwhite & of course the flash center has them. Dont know of any great "deals" though since they are so new still.

Well I found a set up, on the Elinchrom Ranger Quadra Complete Set S, but of course there would be more features I would need to add pushing me over the £1500 mark. It basically comes with power pack unit, battery, charger, 2 S heads, 2 connecting cables, hard case.

I looked more into the timing on the travelpak, it can do upto 750 shots on a single charge, which sounds fairly impressive. The timing is fairly slow, can I deal with it?
400w I would be looking at 4 second for 1 head and 8 seconds for 2.
500w pushes it up to 5 seconds 1 head and 10 seconds for 2 heads.

"The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer."
"Sedit qui timuit ne non succederet"

sponsored links
MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 17, 2009 07:24 |  #17
bannedPermanent ban

Yes i assumed you had stands etc, so yes the Quadra kit will set you back even more.

750 shots is @ 200Ws, on 400Ws it gives you 185 shots (370 with the high capacity travel-pak).

The Quadra gives you 150 on max power, and with the kit you get two batteries wich gives you 300 shots.

The highcapacity pack wich gives you 370 on one charge weighs more then a Quadra and two batteries (wich gives you 300 shots) And a much faster recycling time.

Only you know if you can deal with the longer recycle times, i personally often cant, and those times i can i dont want to. :-)

The Bowens is great stuff, im quite impressed by their lineup. If you can live with the weight (exra bulk) and the recycling times im sure you will be more then happy with it.

The Quadra are if you really want something portable and have the money to spend on stands etc.

Also remember that you most likley will buy more stuff, and at this point you are not only shopping for a portable ligtning solution, your also making a choice in wich system you will invest your money in.

Kindest

Regards
Paul L.

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 17, 2009 07:59 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

In case you havent browsed thru this thread, it has alot of info regarding the Quadra.

Kindest

Regards
Paul L.

Tlee05
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Suck these toes"
1,134 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 17, 2009 08:41 |  #19

MR do little wrote in post #8295697 (external link)
In case you havent browsed thru this thread, it has alot of info regarding the Quadra.

Kindest

You are really selling this piece of kit to me! I can't believe how small it is! Would the A head not be better than the S head? As it has a better response time?

Lets say the kit cost me roughly £1300, Which light weight stands would you recommend? What would you add to the kit? some proprietary modifiers or softboxes?
I'm reading the thread now! Got a good 23 pages to go :) thanks.

"The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer."

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 17, 2009 09:23 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

Tlee05 wrote in post #8295867 (external link)
You are really selling this piece of kit to me! I can't believe how small it is! Would the A head not be better than the S head? As it has a better response time?

Lets say the kit cost me roughly £1300, Which light weight stands would you recommend? What would you add to the kit? some proprietary modifiers or softboxes?
I'm reading the thread now! Got a good 23 pages to go :) thanks.

:D

The A head kit has shorter flash duration and thus can freeze action better, the price diffrence is not that big so i would go with the A head kit if i had the cash to throw.

Im using the Manfrotto Nano stands (external link) for times when im just gonna use the 13.5 cm standard reflector and the 18cm+grid. (wich is my intention most of the time for single person portraits in a "urban enviroment")

They will hold the quadra without any problems, for windy conditions a smaller "dead weight" or sandbag at the base will do. For times when i use the adapter to use larger modifiers with it im using Elinchrom (external link)/photoflex "full size" stands.

As for proprietary modifier i would definetly get the 18cm reflector, as i already have a small softbox from Chimera i havent ordered the Elinchrom 40x40cm SB, however i might later since it will reduce the need for a adapter wich will reduce weight & bulk. The lastolite Ezybox might be a good alternative as its alot cheaper.

Kindest

Regards
Paul L.

Tlee05
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Suck these toes"
1,134 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 17, 2009 11:04 |  #21

MR do little wrote in post #8296049 (external link)
:D

The A head kit has shorter flash duration and thus can freeze action better, the price diffrence is not that big so i would go with the A head kit if i had the cash to throw.

Im using the Manfrotto Nano stands (external link) for times when im just gonna use the 13.5 cm standard reflector and the 18cm+grid. (wich is my intention most of the time for single person portraits in a "urban enviroment")

They will hold the quadra without any problems, for windy conditions a smaller "dead weight" or sandbag at the base will do. For times when i use the adapter to use larger modifiers with it im using Elinchrom (external link)/photoflex "full size" stands.

As for proprietary modifier i would definetly get the 18cm reflector, as i already have a small softbox from Chimera i havent ordered the Elinchrom 40x40cm SB, however i might later since it will reduce the need for a adapter wich will reduce weight & bulk. The lastolite Ezybox might be a good alternative as its alot cheaper.

Kindest

Thanks, how did you find it without the 13.5 reflector? Do you have any pictures of your current set up?

You will be pleased to know I have just put down a order for..
Manfrotto 5001B Nano Stand x2
Elinchrom Skyport Transmitter
Elinchrom Ranger Quadra Complete Set A with Case

roanjohn
Goldmember
3,805 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Jul 17, 2009 11:16 |  #22

Tlee05 wrote in post #8296565 (external link)
Thanks, how did you find it without the 13.5 reflector? Do you have any pictures of your current set up?

The set comes with a transmitter. Unless you want an extra while metering.

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 17, 2009 12:12 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

Tlee05 wrote in post #8296565 (external link)

Hi!

Well to be honest i havent used it with bare head. Do you mean a piture of the Quadra ?

Congrats!

As already been mentioned a skyport transmitter is included in the kit, but you maybe want it for a second body, or backup ?

Kindest

Regards
Paul L.

Tlee05
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Suck these toes"
1,134 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 17, 2009 13:46 |  #24

roanjohn wrote in post #8296613 (external link)
The set comes with a transmitter. Unless you want an extra while metering.

My mistake so I got two coming, looks like one will be going back. :rolleyes:

MR do little wrote in post #8296937 (external link)
Hi!

Well to be honest i havent used it with bare head. Do you mean a piture of the Quadra ?

Congrats!

As already been mentioned a skyport transmitter is included in the kit, but you maybe want it for a second body, or backup ?

Kindest

so you would recommend me Grid Reflector 60° 18 cm on top? Softer lighting on the shadows compared to the 13.5 I take it?

I'm currently looking at the RQ Softbox 40 x 40 But I'm not sure If I really want to carry a softbox around another option would be to go for a umbrella but how many would I end up breaking.

Have you tried out the compact refl 21cm. :D

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 17, 2009 14:17 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

There is only 3 grids availabe for the 18cm reflector, 12°,20°,30°.

The 13,5cm standard reflector is 70° and the 18cm reflector is 55°.

18cm reflector with a 30° grid will give you a more focused beam of light.

I have the standard 21cm reflector and grids, havent tested it on the Ranger Q though.

Kindest

Regards
Paul L.

jbrown7815
731 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 17, 2009 14:17 |  #26

Hope you don't plan to use those lights outside with any modifiers on them, nano stands are nice, but they are very lightweigh, not too sturdy considering.

~Jesse~

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 17, 2009 14:39 |  #27
bannedPermanent ban

Yes the nanostands arent that heavy so in windy conditions a dead weight or sandbag will suffice for small softboxes or the Ranger Q reflectors. For bigger stuff use normal sized stands and secure them properly.

I use These (external link) on my Nano stands

Kindest

Regards
Paul L.

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 17, 2009 15:22 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

As a side note, what i really like with the Ranger Q and nano stand is that i can carry them so easily. Unless i use the Ranger Q on the Sunbounce Micro mini, it stays in my bag so when i want to move from one spot to another i just pick up the bag and grab the nano with the head attached, its way so little so its effortless.

Regards
Paul L.

Underscore
309 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 17, 2009 21:53 |  #29

Tlee05 wrote in post #8291567 (external link)
I'm really not sure what route to go down at the moment, I need a portable lighting kit as I will be doing urban model shoots, the question is which ones would you recommend, I been thinking about a alien bee set up.. max budget is £1500 but of course if I could get away with spending £700 for now I would. :D

Check out the new Elinchrom Quadra two light setup. See if you can find one used.

Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Jul 17, 2009 21:58 |  #30

Underscore wrote in post #8299542 (external link)
Check out the new Elinchrom Quadra two light setup. See if you can find one used.

You're a tad late, Underscore. :lol:

• Wedding Photographer - Sydney and Wollongong (external link)
• Borrowed Moment (blog) (external link)

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

sponsored links

3,009 views & 0 likes for this thread
Portable lighting.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.