Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Jul 2009 (Friday) 19:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

does your Canon 100mm macro do this!!!!!

spider1135
121 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 17, 2009 19:51 |  #1

I just got mine canon 100mm macro lens today, It is brand new I ordered it from adorama on line, have not yet take it outside for any photos shooting, just put it on my canon 40d, it is very fast focus on any subjects near and far, but it making noise when it does, not big noise, it is sound like the usm runing try to focusing on the subjects, also the focus ring kind of loss a little to left and right, it is not firm like my other lens. It is heavy too.

sponsored links
mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 17, 2009 19:56 |  #2

Does it take good pics?

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

spider1135
THREAD ­ STARTER
121 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 17, 2009 20:30 |  #3

mikekelley wrote in post #8299128 (external link)
Does it take good pics?

took some photos from the yard.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

spider1135
THREAD ­ STARTER
121 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 17, 2009 20:37 as a reply to  @ spider1135's post |  #4

the auto focus is very quick between the subject and the background, it keeps focus on the background more then on the close subject-the spider, I have to turn off the AF, but I have problem to focus on the spider myself.

here are some other shots.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Davidsl222
562 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 18, 2009 03:39 |  #5

Mine doesn't make noise. Great lens. You'll enjoy it very much.

Flickr - Life of David (external link)
Stuff: Canon 5D Mark IV : 400mm f/5.6L : 200mm f/2.8L : 100mm f/2.8 : 24-70mm f/2.8L : 1.4xTC III

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 18, 2009 04:04 |  #6
bannedPermanently

Mine doesn't make noise either. Mine sits in my bag a lot =(

DANATTHEROCK
Goldmember
1,264 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 18, 2009 04:45 |  #7

How loud it is of course is very subjective. Mine makes some noise as it searches. In low light, it searches alot. Most macro guys will say to use manual focus to alleviate this. AF apparenty doesn't work as effeciently for macro work. Food for thought.

Canon 5D Mark II & 50D with 17-40, 24-105, 100-400, 50 f/1.4, 100 f/2.8 macro, and 1.4TC

FEISOL CT-3442 (ARL) tripod w/ Photo Clam 40-NS ballhead:lol:

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,956 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 18, 2009 07:14 |  #8

spider1135 wrote in post #8299258 (external link)
the auto focus is very quick between the subject and the background, it keeps focus on the background more then on the close subject-the spider, I have to turn off the AF, but I have problem to focus on the spider myself.

here are some other shots.

Where your focus ends up using AF is a function of the camera, not the lens. As was stated by others, just learn to not use AF, instead manually focus, then fine focus by moving your head just slightly. With a DOF about as thin as paper, you will be a more effective faster AF motor than the camera's AF system.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

spider1135
THREAD ­ STARTER
121 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 18, 2009 11:51 |  #9

DANATTHEROCK wrote in post #8300777 (external link)
How loud it is of course is very subjective. Mine makes some noise as it searches. In low light, it searches alot. Most macro guys will say to use manual focus to alleviate this. AF apparenty doesn't work as effeciently for macro work. Food for thought.

It not very noise, but I can hear the motor turning when its in search, I can say you won't hear it if you stand 1 or 2 steps next to me. I have 4 canon USM lens, they don't make that motor turning noise.

spider1135
THREAD ­ STARTER
121 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 18, 2009 12:00 |  #10

TeamSpeed wrote in post #8300961 (external link)
Where your focus ends up using AF is a function of the camera, not the lens. As was stated by others, just learn to not use AF, instead manually focus, then fine focus by moving your head just slightly. With a DOF about as thin as paper, you will be a more effective faster AF motor than the camera's AF system.

Thanks for the info, I will try using manually, only problem I have is that I can not keep myself focus on close and far away subjects, I keep thinking is it clear when I turning the focus ring, maybe I need a pair of glasses.

spider1135
THREAD ­ STARTER
121 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 18, 2009 12:05 |  #11

From the testing photos, do you think the lens is fine!!!!! even those the noise and alittle lose on the focus ring, is it OK to keep it!!!!!

spamster
914 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 18, 2009 13:54 |  #12

Noise is very subjective like others say but yeah I can hear the motor going.

Gear List

Doctorstrangepork
195 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 18, 2009 17:05 |  #13

Mine is a bit noisy - both in AF and MF when you change focus, kinda a grinding sound like the focus parts are a bit tight and binding up. I'm over it, it works fine and the quality of images that come out makes up for it :)

Shaddon
Gear flickr (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
15,290 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 18, 2009 17:10 |  #14

Mine is quiet.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 18, 2009 18:31 |  #15

I would return it for a replacement.

sponsored links

3,361 views & 0 likes for this thread
does your Canon 100mm macro do this!!!!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.