Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Jul 2009 (Wednesday) 11:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I need L glass like the 24-105, but faster

Mark_48
Goldmember
2,068 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 17, 2009 16:23 |  #31

kekoa wrote in post #8298129 (external link)
Out of my butt? :rolleyes:

Yah, i have a 580 exII. Do I know how to use it? NO  :o

I read through the post and CDI beat me to pretty much what my thoughts were. Learn in particular how to bounce the flash correctly.

Browse through these pages.....
http://web.canon.jp …tl2/technology/​index.html (external link)

Flash Photography Techniques on the right side of page.....
http://www.planetneil.​com/tangents/ (external link)

Megapixels and high ISO are a digital photographers heroin. Once you have a little, you just want more and more. It doesn't stop until your bank account is run dry.

sponsored links
liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 17, 2009 23:17 |  #32

Just traded a 24-70L f/2.8 for a 24-105L f/4 on my 40D. Same subject as OP: taking pictures of the kids. I have found that f/2.8 is basically not fast enough @ ISO800. Tried a 50mm f/1.8 for experiement. Still not fast enough by ~1/2 stop. Just ordered a Sigma 50mm f/1.4. Let's see how that goes.

BTW, I do have a flash and bounce it off the ceiling works quite well. The problem is that half of my house has high ceilings and there is no ceiling to bounce against. So I ended up switching over to the build-in bounce card and 45degree angle with ok results. Still very directional light though. Also, I noticed E-TTL II metering tend to be 1/3 to 2/3 stop low so I basically always leave 2/3 step up. It's always easier to correct slight over exposure than slight under exposure in post processing.

Still learning
Nikon D750, Sigma 24-105OS, 105mm 2.8g micro VR, Tamron 70-300VC

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 18, 2009 07:38 |  #33

liupublic wrote in post #8299906 (external link)
BTW, I do have a flash and bounce it off the ceiling works quite well. The problem is that half of my house has high ceilings and there is no ceiling to bounce against. .

How high are these high ceilings in your house? I've been able to bounce flash off the ceilings of high school gymnasiums with just a 430EX. Just use a reasonable ISO (400-800) and don't stop down too far and your flash range is probably a lot more than you think.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 18, 2009 08:36 |  #34

JeffreyG wrote in post #8301002 (external link)
How high are these high ceilings in your house? I've been able to bounce flash off the ceilings of high school gymnasiums with just a 430EX. Just use a reasonable ISO (400-800) and don't stop down too far and your flash range is probably a lot more than you think.

It's a sloping ceiling. Highest part is ~20ft. With a flash, my usually pick is ISO400, F5.6 and 1/125sec.

Still learning
Nikon D750, Sigma 24-105OS, 105mm 2.8g micro VR, Tamron 70-300VC

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 18, 2009 09:25 |  #35

definitely get a flash.

Alan "NuReality" Fronshtein
Gear List | PBase |  (external link)flickr (external link)
Lots of Fun, Lots of Laughs, Happy Trigger Finger!

effstop
810 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 18, 2009 17:07 as a reply to  @ nureality's post |  #36

I have a 6-month old and have had much better results bouncing w/a flash (have 18ft vaulted ceiling in one room) than w/my nifty 50.

Try the flash!

5D MKI | 1D MKII | 24-70mm 2.8 L | 80-200MM 2.8 L | 400mm 5.6 L |50mm 1.8

kandyredcoi
Goldmember
1,611 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 18, 2009 17:25 |  #37

egordon99 wrote in post #8295573 (external link)
That's pretty much the experience of ANY shooter, so you're showing your experience, good job!

OP - BUY A FLASH!!!!

The 24-70/2.8 is a great lens, but I think if you add a properly bounced flash to your 24-105, you will get some GREAT shots!

+1 i would also recommend a flash, it will help in more ways than one :D

Unique Custom Watch Straps--> www.CTDesigns.us (external link)

jsvphoto
789 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 18, 2009 22:49 |  #38

Another flasher here. Wait... :oops:

I avoided using my flash for a long time because of the nuisance. But there's no getting around it - bouncing flash light will give you some really nice, soft lighting effects that just can't be achieved in many other situations. It's not like it's terribly hard to learn, either. Just put it on, turn it on, and start shooting. You'll get the basic hang of it within a few shots.

Canon 7D Gripped; Canon 7D ii Gripped; Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L; Canon TS-E 24 f/3.5 L; Sigma 85 f/1.4; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; various lights & gizmos

kster
551 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 18, 2009 23:09 |  #39

For the most part I have avoided flash when shooting my 20-month old daughter. I don't know if flash is harmful for young eyes but I certainly don't like bright flash constantly firing in my face.

I stick with window light and shoot with my 35 f1.4 wide open.

1DmkIII and some lenses

sponsored links

3,684 views & 0 likes for this thread
I need L glass like the 24-105, but faster
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.