Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Jul 2009 (Friday) 13:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is 50 1.4 better than 50 1.2L ?

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,223 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 18, 2009 15:39 |  #16

Panza wrote in post #8302330 (external link)
The build quality of the 50L alone is worth it for me. The 50 1.4 is plastic-not-so-fantastic. IMHO.

I'm sorry, but this is the weakest possible argument for spending all that extra money, unless you've had a 1.4 mechanically fail on you. Build quality adds nothing to the photo.

On thinking further, I guess you're after more than a good photo - a better photographic experience, i.e. the pleasure of using quality tools. If that makes your hobby more enjoyable then good for you. The price difference must mean less to you than it does to me.

Mark.

sponsored links
Panza
391 posts
Joined Aug 2002

Jul 19, 2009 03:46 |  #17

There is more to build quality than a nice-feeling focus ring. Water-resistance being one of them. When you want exactly THAT picture the money is well spent. Think huge outdoor event in the evening and the rain starts coming down. The newspaper is being printed in 6 hours.... I know which lens I would have then, and it's not the f1.4 version.

Canon Eos 1D MK4 | Canon Eos 5 | Complete Gear List

Hand_of_Cod
325 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 19, 2009 06:15 |  #18

Are we talking Canon 50mm 1.4 or Sigma 50mm 1.4?

https://andrewferris.s​mugmug.com/ (external link)

rattymouse
173 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 19, 2009 10:12 |  #19

Madweasel wrote in post #8302698 (external link)
I'm sorry, but this is the weakest possible argument for spending all that extra money, unless you've had a 1.4 mechanically fail on you. Build quality adds nothing to the photo.

On thinking further, I guess you're after more than a good photo - a better photographic experience, i.e. the pleasure of using quality tools. If that makes your hobby more enjoyable then good for you. The price difference must mean less to you than it does to me.

To me, nothing matters if the image isn't good. I don't care how good the gear is. Face it, most people at these boards are gear fetishists.

Canon Rebel XT, 20mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.2 L II, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 300mm 4.0 L IS

kster
551 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 19, 2009 11:07 |  #20

I owned two copies of the 50 f1.2 and both suffered from the focus shift. As a result, I just couldn't trust the lens. I ended purchasing a 35 f1.4 instead and it's now my most used lens.

1DmkIII and some lenses

ikolpdog
153 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 19, 2009 12:37 |  #21

rattymouse wrote in post #8306217 (external link)
To me, nothing matters if the image isn't good. I don't care how good the gear is. Face it, most people at these boards are gear fetishists.

To you the image is everything regardless! Therefore cost must be immaterial and to achieve the best image you need the best equipment to compliment your artistic skill, so you must already have a 50 1.2?

Personally I am a gear fetishist, I lack skill and ability but I don't allow that to stop me having a hobby I enjoy :). I also want a 50 1.2.

Either way up we both want a 50 1.2 ;)

7D, EOS 33, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L, 24-70 f2.8 L, 180 Macro f3.5 L, EF 28 f1.8, EFS 10-22, 1.4x II Extender and 580EXII.

Kenny6007
36 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 19, 2009 12:48 |  #22

i'm glad this topic popped up as i can't decide for myself if the 1.2L is worth the extra money and i'm in the market for another prime and i think the 50mm would go well with my 24

agphotography
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 19, 2009 14:01 |  #23

I've been through a lot of the canon 50s personally.

In my opinion, if I had the funds to do so I would certainly buy the 50L, my copy was outstanding! I didn't use it enough to justify its presence in my camera bag so I moved it (I kind of regret that, but oh well. I REALLY regret selling my 35L but that's another story)

I did wind up with a good copy of the 50 f/1.4 it was not tack sharp at 1.4 but definitely usable throughout the range, but I usually didn't go past f/2.8. I almost always used the 50L in-between f/1.2-f/2.

Now I'm in possession of the Sigma 50 and my copy front focuses w/ AF on my 40D. I'm going to try and adjust it with the 5D and hope it becomes usable, otherwise off to sigma it goes!

-Abram-
www.goglanianphoto.com (external link)
500px (external link) / Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)

TexRex
345 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 19, 2009 14:03 |  #24

I got rid of my 50 f1.4 b/c I like my low light shorts sharp and I felt it wasbn't cutting it until f/2.8. Not sure if I wanna drop the cash on a f1.2 but it comes down to do you want to get only sharp pics or miss the shot completely.

Canon stuff....

LamontSanders
894 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 19, 2009 14:09 as a reply to  @ Kenny6007's post |  #25

buy a sigma 50/1.4

5DS R | 1Ds Mark III | Canon 16-35mm F/4L IS | Canon 24-70mm F/4L IS | Canon 70-200mm F/4L | Canon 50mm F/1.8 STM | Sigma 24-35mm F/2.0 Art | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 |
flickr (external link) | Old flickr (external link)

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 19, 2009 19:11 |  #26

Not even close. I spent a long time looking for the perfect 50mm lens, and as a result, I've owned a crapload of 50mm lenses. I would rank the 50s I've owned or used like this:

1. 50L by far and away
2. Sigma 50 1.4 (much better than the Canon 50 1.4, not as nice as the 50L)
3. 50 2.5 Compact Macro
4. Canon 50 1.4
5. A big list of manual focus lenses
6. The Canon 50 1.8

After I got the 50L, everything sort of fell into place. Haven't spent a single cent on photography since then, and I've just enjoyed shooting with it.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

photog_1
54 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 19, 2009 19:18 as a reply to  @ Perry Ge's post |  #27

I have to agree with ya, Perry. The 50L is really fantastic!

1D Mark III | 5D Mark II
50 f/1.2L, 135 f/2L 580EXII | Alien Bees B800 and B400 Monolights with various modifiers
MacPro 2.8GHz "octo-core", 16GB RAM; Lightroom, Capture One 4, Aperture

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 19, 2009 21:52 as a reply to  @ photog_1's post |  #28

Madweasel wrote in post #8302698 (external link)

rattymouse wrote in post #8306217 (external link)

While I agree that build alone does not make the lens shine, I certainly appreciated my weather sealed lenses when I use them on my 1DMKIII. My 24-105L is weather sealed and I've put that lens through water, dust, you name it. No problem. Same with the 50L.

Try that with your 50 1.4. I guess if it busts up on you, you can always buy another one. You can buy like 4 or 5 of them for the price of 1 50L.:lol:

That said, I feel that the 50L has great color/contrast and little bit of that "magic". (Imagined or otherwise!) This coming from someone who has a definite love/hate relationship with the lens. No fetishes with this lens here!:lol:

Hand_of_Cod
325 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 19, 2009 22:42 |  #29

Perry Ge wrote in post #8308314 (external link)
Not even close. I spent a long time looking for the perfect 50mm lens, and as a result, I've owned a crapload of 50mm lenses. I would rank the 50s I've owned or used like this:

1. 50L by far and away
2. Sigma 50 1.4 (much better than the Canon 50 1.4, not as nice as the 50L)
3. 50 2.5 Compact Macro
4. Canon 50 1.4
5. A big list of manual focus lenses
6. The Canon 50 1.8

After I got the 50L, everything sort of fell into place. Haven't spent a single cent on photography since then, and I've just enjoyed shooting with it.

I'm looking to buy my first prime and thought the 50mm focal length should be a good place to start - do you think it would be worth me saving two to three times as much for the 50L instead of the Sigma? Or will the benefits be lost on a 50D anyway?

https://andrewferris.s​mugmug.com/ (external link)

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 19, 2009 22:45 |  #30

Hand_of_Cod wrote in post #8309405 (external link)
I'm looking to buy my first prime and thought the 50mm focal length should be a good place to start - do you think it would be worth me saving two to three times as much for the 50L instead of the Sigma? Or will the benefits be lost on a 50D anyway?

Depends. If you're used to shooting film and looking for the kind of area of view you get with a 50mm lens on a 35mm format, then forget the 50mm lenses on an APS-C sensor like the 50D and get the Sigma 30 1.4 instead.

Otherwise, the Sigma 50 1.4 is a decent lens (it always disappointed me a little), but I would not drop big money on a first prime until you're 100% sure of the focal length you want.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

sponsored links

3,554 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is 50 1.4 better than 50 1.2L ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.