Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 24 May 2009 (Sunday) 16:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My Work: Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini, Porsche...Supercars!

aridan
Goldmember
2,882 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2003

Jul 16, 2009 20:35 |  #61

Excellent work!

5D Mark III | 135L | 24-70L | 580EXII | Flickr | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
EvoIXMR
48 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 16, 2009 21:36 |  #62

Love the lotus picture.

Digital_zen
390 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 19, 2009 13:07 |  #63

Great work! How does one go about getting into shooting cars and bikes, especially bikes?

You will find no more zen at the top of a mountain, than the zen that you bring there with you.

~zen proverb~

TexRex
345 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 19, 2009 14:19 |  #64

Great shots!

Canon stuff....

newton
568 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 19, 2009 16:26 |  #65

I was about to buy your wallpaper collection, but free is good. :lol:

interpretiv
THREAD ­ STARTER
70 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 19, 2009 20:13 |  #66

Thanks!

Digital_zen wrote in post #8306797 (external link)
Great work! How does one go about getting into shooting cars and bikes, especially bikes?

It was something I just fell into, which I realize might sound odd. At the time (5-6 yrs ago) I was racing cars of all sorts, formula and closed-wheel. Through this, I met some Ferrari club guys and started attending/covering Ferrari club events. So I was taking a lot of photos of that stuff, and started to pick up a rep locally/regionally. I still do some work like that, coveiring car rallies, or national car meets (FCA Annual Meet, for instance). I started shooting bikes only through my work for local motorcycle dealerships, and later for Ducati. Automotive photographers usually have a sharp set of specialty skills for dealing with movement, such as good panning skills, proficiency with rigging, etc. These are good things to become acquainted with and practice if you want to get into it. Here are a couple examples. I tried to pull older shots from track days, where you're just doing a repetitive movement to practice/get used to panning.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND

If you can shoot like that consistently you'll have an advantage over other photographers doing this kind of thing....although it is a fairly basic skill to master, most folks just crank the shutter speed to "freeze" the action, where it becomes easy to get fast objects framed properly. The downside there is that the photos are flat and lack depth, and don't really have that extra "zing" unless it's a photo of a crash or some action work freezing in microscopic detail. At the hobbyist/practice level you'll want to attend local track/scca events where you probably don't have to pay admission and there will be lots of cars screaming around at various speeds -- best kind of practice you can get. Eventually people will notice and ask about your photos :-) Getting private or commercial work is all in your ability to talk up the client and your skill level. Hope this helps! I'd be happy to answer any questions.

newton wrote in post #8307598 (external link)
I was about to buy your wallpaper collection, but free is good. :lol:

Thanks for the thought :-) I'll be releasing another wallpaper pack before the end of the year, I think. If you've got some cash to spare and enjoy my work, I'll have some inexpensive posters this fall as well.

Richard Thompson III
folio (external link) | flickr (external link) | facebook (external link)

sponsored links

7,939 views & 0 likes for this thread
My Work: Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini, Porsche...Supercars!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.