Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 19 Jul 2009 (Sunday) 21:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Card readers?

britt777
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 19, 2009 21:22 |  #1

I have an I Mac and I need to get a card reader. Tip please.

Brittany
www.shutterprophotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 19, 2009 21:33 |  #2

Sandisk readers are very reliable. If your Apple has Firewire 800, make sure and get one for that, otherwise USB 2.0 and firewire 400 are pretty much the same as long as the USB 2.0 is not messed up by slower devices.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 19, 2009 21:36 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #3

I have the sandisk SDDR-92, but the driver says its only for window98. That can't be possible. I used it on my PC with vista

Brittany

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 19, 2009 21:40 |  #4

That's an old reader that came out when Windows was just adding USB support. It should be "plug and play" with any newer system (XP, Vista, Apple).

But, it is also a very slow (USB 1) device and will crawl if you are downloading any number of files. Readers are cheap, so get either the USB 2 or firewire 800 if you have the newer firewire ports.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 19, 2009 21:43 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #5

I will look on the sandisk site. guess I better get new reader, didn't need one on my PC. Thanks for the tips.

Brittany

philmar
Cream of the Crop
7,818 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 20, 2009 15:34 |  #6

Sandisk are reliable - there are better yet more expensive ones: Lexar & Delkin.

A photo I took HERE published in National GeographicTime on your hands? Then HERE'S plenty more photos to nibble on (external link):
http://https …photos/phil_mar​ion/albums (external link)

scubthebub
894 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 20, 2009 15:37 |  #7

i have a mac too, and i took the card reader i had for my PC and plugged it into the mac with no problems. As long as the package says it's OS X capatable, and drivers exist, you can get whatever you want.

You can also call me Matt
|| 5Dc+Grip | 20D || 24-105
L | 50 f/1.8 II | Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 <-Crap on FF |
| 550EX | Yongnuo RF 602 triggers | Aperture 3 | Lowepro Pro Trekker 300 AW |

Flickr (external link) | Redbubble (external link)

enilm
188 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jul 20, 2009 18:59 |  #8

Are the external one's faster than the internal? I currently have an internal which I have connected to a USB 2.0 plug but it's real slow at transferring files. The other day it took over 20 minutes to transfer 4GB from my card to the desktop. Or is that normal time?

Canon 40D w/ kit lens 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6. No Flash, No lights, No other lenses. Just starting out.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 20, 2009 19:52 |  #9

enilm wrote in post #8314429 (external link)
Are the external one's faster than the internal? I currently have an internal which I have connected to a USB 2.0 plug but it's real slow at transferring files. The other day it took over 20 minutes to transfer 4GB from my card to the desktop. Or is that normal time?

Some computer mfgs do short-change on peripherals, so yeah, your internal card reader is very possibly a USB 1.0 device. In fact, you should check out your USB ports as well in your Device Manager to make sure they are USB 2.0. It does take time to unload, say, 4 Gig of pics, but 20 minutes to merely copy seems a lot. Importing into something like Lightroom takes time, though, because you are doing more than just copying.

Tony

philmar
Cream of the Crop
7,818 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 21, 2009 11:16 |  #10

20 minutes to merely copy 4 Gig of pics is definitely too much.

A photo I took HERE published in National GeographicTime on your hands? Then HERE'S plenty more photos to nibble on (external link):
http://https …photos/phil_mar​ion/albums (external link)

Gnhntn
509 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 23, 2009 15:40 |  #11

Sandisk does make good readers, but any will actually serve your purpose. The one I have, and use, cost me 99 cents at Staples (I think this is where I got it), and works fine for what I need. I also have to agree 20 minutes is to long to copy 4 Gigs. I use 4 Gig cards (back each one up to a DVD before processing and reformatting) and a full one takes maybe 6 or 7 minutes at the most to copy over. The speed of your card could also factor into the time to copy them over to your desk top.

"Why is it that children know how to forgive and forget...But adults forget how to forgive?"

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,883 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Jul 23, 2009 19:57 |  #12

I've been using the Sandisk ImageMate 12-in-1 Reader/Writer (external link) for over a year and I really love it!

It's affordable, fast, and works with all size/types of cards I've tried. And it's USB 2.0 Hi-Speed.
I've used it in Windows Vista, Vista x64, Windows 7 x64, and it works perfectly out of the box, no drivers or configuration necessary. The same applies (no drivers needed) to Mac systems running OS 10.1.2 plus.

EOS R - 50/1.8 STM - Sigma 35/1.4 Art - Sigma 85/1.4 Art - Sigma 14-24/2.8 Art - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Godox Xpro-C - Godox TT685C x2

sponsored links

1,398 views & 0 likes for this thread
Card readers?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.