Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 08:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!

this thread is locked
airbutchie
Not too crunchy
13,021 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 20, 2009 18:26 |  #1831

WOO HOO!!! It's here... IT'S HERE!!! Hhehehehhehe... It's like Christmas morning!!! Hhehehehe... Now I've got to do some initial documentation; product shots and a few initial images to get an actuation count from Foxbat's 1D-series counter... After that, I've got to hunt some ducks down... Hehhehehehhe... WOO HOO!!!

- airbutchie :)

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 20, 2009 18:50 |  #1832

lOOny!!! CONGRATS!!! ENJOY!!!

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 20, 2009 19:32 |  #1833

Tareq wrote in post #8313657 (external link)
About this opportunity, first congratulations! second, if a photographer get paid even once, will that mean he turn professional or the work done is professional?

Thanks!

To me, professional means you derive your living from it and I certainly would be starving to death and living under a bridge if I had to do that exclusively! :D

Beyond that, I think the word "professional" is highly misused by many folks in many different walks of life.

Cheers!

GEAR LIST l WEBSITE (external link)

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 20, 2009 19:35 |  #1834

airbutchie wrote in post #8314216 (external link)
WOO HOO!!! It's here... IT'S HERE!!! Hhehehehhehe... It's like Christmas morning!!! Hhehehehe... Now I've got to do some initial documentation; product shots and a few initial images to get an actuation count from Foxbat's 1D-series counter... After that, I've got to hunt some ducks down... Hehhehehehhe... WOO HOO!!!

- airbutchie :)

Yup!

I definitely detect the kid on Christmas morning, vibe! :D

Enjoy it!

Cheers!

sheawyatt
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 20, 2009 19:41 as a reply to  @ The Ghost of FM's post |  #1835

The Ghost of FM wrote in post #8313328 (external link)
Excellent news and thanks for the kind review of my Observatory photo! It actually is being used by the institute's website and they are interested in purchasing other shots I took that evening as well so this will be my first foray into professional work with the 1DsMkII! :D

Now go get us a duck! ;)

Cheers!

I was going to say, the observatory should definitely buy the last shot of the ISS going overhead.

The Ghost of FM wrote in post #8314609 (external link)
Thanks!

To me, professional means you derive your living from it and I certainly would be starving to death and living under a bridge if I had to do that exclusively! :D

I'm picturing a homeless bum sleeping under a bridge with only the cold, hard form of his 1DsII to keep him company. What a sad sight.

In other news, apparently there was an error on TheCameraStore.com webpage, and the 400L wasn't actually in stock...:mad:, they're trying to see if they can guarantee me a lens by August 26, which is when I go on vacation for 2 weeks, and I will need it by then at the latest. I'm on a waiting list, and earlier would be great, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

X-T3 | 10-24 f/4 | 18-55 f/2.8-4 | 16 f/1.4 | 80 f/2.8 Macro | 55-200 f/3.5-4.8 | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 | 1.4x TC |
Marketplace Feedback: Link
www.sheawyatt.ca (external link)

sodalis
304 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 20, 2009 20:34 |  #1836

airbutchie wrote in post #8314216 (external link)
WOO HOO!!! It's here... IT'S HERE!!! Hhehehehhehe... It's like Christmas morning!!!

I was feeling the same way Saturday. Just under 7,700 actuations on mine and it's nearly mint. $1840 after cashback. Came with two Canon batteries and all the original accessories minus the DC-E1 coupler (already have one for my 1DII) and the eyecup. :D

Haven't had a chance to do any serious shooting yet, but the few test shots I've taken have been quite impressive to say the least.

With it's little brother:

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

sheawyatt
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 20, 2009 23:03 |  #1837

^^ That's a sexy couple. I've got a pair of II's too...

X-T3 | 10-24 f/4 | 18-55 f/2.8-4 | 16 f/1.4 | 80 f/2.8 Macro | 55-200 f/3.5-4.8 | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 | 1.4x TC |
Marketplace Feedback: Link
www.sheawyatt.ca (external link)

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
13,021 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 20, 2009 23:09 |  #1838

^ Double the pleasure, eh Sodalis?! Hehehhehehehe... I could relate... Especially when it's full frame all-the-time...

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/airbutchie/Various%20Images/_MG_6659-1.jpg

Introducing the new addition to the family... My Canon 1Ds Mark 2...

- airbutchie :D

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 20, 2009 23:25 |  #1839

Introducing the new addition to the family... My Canon 1Ds Mark 2...

....so cool ! Have fun with it !

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 20, 2009 23:36 as a reply to  @ airbutchie's post |  #1840

Minus the RRS plates, I used to have the same little happy couple only the 5D just sat and collected dust once I got the 1DsMkII so I sold the 5D a couple of months ago. Two months latter, I still have zero regrets in doing that too! ;)

Enjoy your new camera airbutchie!

I'm sure in no time at all you'll fall completely and monogamously in love with it as I have with mine!

Cheers!

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,379 posts
Gallery: 562 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 20, 2009 23:43 as a reply to  @ The Ghost of FM's post |  #1841

Joining in on this...

For some reason i've been giving consideration to the 1Ds Mark II as an alternate in case the 60D doesnt pan out and impress... :)

And yes i know, ones FF and the other is likely 1.6x crop, and ones pro and the other isnt ;) and one doesnt exist yet...

I'm weird i know :) just so much to love about so many camera bodies!

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,192 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 21, 2009 02:30 |  #1842

Hi guys. I'm after a 1DsMk2 as well, they are a bit hard to find over here :rolleyes:

Anyway, I thought I would to this for you're viewing pleasure. :oops: :D

It is an NZ auction site, initially, the seller had a bit of mixture of spec's from the Mk2 & Mk3 hence the first couple of questions.

There are also another couple of questions that have been removed :o

http://www.trademe.co.​nz …SLR/auction-230802960.htm (external link)

It's a bit of a laugh

cicopo
Goldmember
3,499 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 21, 2009 08:01 |  #1843

From last weekends Syracuse Nationals Car Show. I'm still working on the album but thought I could share a few now. Due to a torn Achilles tendon I took as little equipment as I could so didn't have a flash, just my 1Ds2 & 24-105.
We found 2 hot rodder Rolls Royce's in a building so bumped the ISO up until things looked OK on the display.
ISO 1000, minimal processing, no noise reduction.

IMAGE: http://lh4.ggpht.com/_z3rAnHnUjjY/SmUfwAN2oBI/AAAAAAAAreo/hP-SVqdQ_NU/s800/VZ1Q0261v1.JPG

ISO 1600

IMAGE: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_z3rAnHnUjjY/SmUfS_oh1wI/AAAAAAAAreU/mdPB3nLpaHY/s800/VZ1Q0256v1.JPG

IMAGE: http://lh4.ggpht.com/_z3rAnHnUjjY/SmUmtUAlgWI/AAAAAAAArjQ/u2AROH-QYHU/s800/VZ1Q0301v1.JPG

The car in the foreground started life as the car behind it. It's been cut 4 inches end to end right through the center of the body and had so many modifications it would take a lot of writing to list them all. We saw it last year in bare steel, and I was really impressed.

IMAGE: http://lh4.ggpht.com/_z3rAnHnUjjY/SmUR3R99LoI/AAAAAAAArYo/rvqdd7IKuQ4/s800/VZ1Q0196v1.JPG

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 21, 2009 08:56 as a reply to  @ cicopo's post |  #1844

cicopo,

Love that last one of that low rider convertible!

I think the cloudy outdoor light really did it justice rather then the harsher lit indoor shots with all the unintended reflections. I read some posts from PhotosGuy, a moderator here on the forum about shooting cars and he said, (and I'm paraphrasing here pretty heavily), that outdoor overcast lighting is as close as you can get to reproducing a very expensive pro studio giant soft box lighting set up. Shooting at dusk or dawn is also more usable too.

Cheers!

cicopo
Goldmember
3,499 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 21, 2009 10:20 |  #1845

Thanks. An overcast day can be very useful for car photos, but unfortunately the sky dropped rain all over the cars about 1 hour after we arrived on Friday so most of the photos were from Sat when the crowds were huge. I often gave up waiting for a clear shot since there was so much to see. This event draws over 4000 cars, and they are simply where ever the owner finds a space they like. Here's what that car looked like 1 year ago, shot with my 40D.

IMAGE: http://lh4.ggpht.com/_z3rAnHnUjjY/SmUylQyZktI/AAAAAAAArrI/hHIzLWo5d_o/s800/IMG_1155v1.JPG

IMAGE: http://lh5.ggpht.com/_z3rAnHnUjjY/SmUyyy9QTjI/AAAAAAAArrQ/akktM21f44M/s800/IMG_1157v1.JPG

And one of the dash now, which was why I knew it was this car in finished form.

IMAGE: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_z3rAnHnUjjY/SmUSDcXsMsI/AAAAAAAArYw/Mf2vxcl72D4/s800/VZ1Q0197v1.JPG

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

sponsored links

1,352,689 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.