Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Jul 2009 (Tuesday) 02:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

what to do?

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 22, 2009 06:18 |  #16
bannedPermanently

Oooo new lense! What about a nice widee for those "mostly touristy type shots of buildings and street scene" !! ?? You have the 55-250 for some reach if you need it! I suggest the 10-22 too!

sponsored links
HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 22, 2009 08:10 |  #17

Hmmm usually I would say glass. However, this time I will say body.

The 18-55 and the 55-250 are good lenses. Go for a 40D or 50D and if anything is left over go for a good prime lens with a wide opening (85 1.8?). and get a 430EXII flash.

Sell the Xs and the 75-300.

BTW someone suggested a 5D. Nice suggestion but you might want to check if those lenses will work with a 5D.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Jul 22, 2009 08:19 |  #18

I would get rid of the 75-300 and buy a lens and a flash. I am not sure what your shooting preference is to suggest a lens, but a flash is indispensable in many circumstances, both indoors and outdoors.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Jul 22, 2009 08:20 |  #19

You are correct, those lenses will not work on a 5D.

HoosierJoe wrote in post #8323588 (external link)
BTW someone suggested a 5D. Nice suggestion but you might want to check if those lenses will work with a 5D.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

borism
Goldmember
3,417 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 22, 2009 09:46 |  #20

Frugal wrote in post #8322843 (external link)
The responses are varying between your vacation and what you might need in the longer term. I live in the US, but I've also lived in Europe for many years and traveled to most of the countries. The tourist spots are crowded and everything is smaller so primes and a tripod are good for the long term, not for the vacation, except perhaps a nifty fifty for museums as most aren't flash friendly. I'd take the 18-55 IS, and the 55-250 IS. Get a flash - 430EX or 580EX if you don't have one. Also a bag - I like my Lowepro 200AW slingshot for traveling.

Then I'd spend the remainder on a real tripod and a prime - focal length depends on what you like to shoot, and leave them at home. I like portraits and I've hardly taken the 85mm 1.8 off since I got it. YMMD

My 2 Euros

This is good advice in my opinion
Get rid of the 75-300
Get a flash if you dont have one
Get a prime, the 85 f1.8 or 100mm f2.8 macro are very nice, fast and fun lenses

Good luck

CANON 6D - SONY A6000

datboynamsays
30 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 22, 2009 12:01 |  #21

get some lenses!

JWitmer
275 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 22, 2009 12:23 |  #22

As someone else mentioned, I'd sell everything and use the $1000+ other money for a used 5D but I'd add a 70-200 f/4L and some nice UWA.

But that's just me, personally.

Blogspot (external link)
Canon 7D, Canon 20D gripped, Tamron 17-35, Canon 50mm ƒ1.8 II, Canon 35-80 "macro", WTB Canon 70-200 ƒ4

Jared ­ Byer
151 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 22, 2009 13:25 |  #23

If it was me, I would look to see how much I could sell those three lenses for and then depending on how much that was I would look at either:

Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and something along the lines of the Tokina 50-135 or sigma 50-150.

If you can sell them for more, then maybe the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and the Canon 70-200 IS USM f4.

Or you could look at it the other way, if say you shoot much more at the tell end than the normal to wide end, get the 70-200 f4 and then start saving up for either a 17-55 f2.8 canon or the 24-70 or something much wider. I would start though with selling the 75-300.

My Walk around kit: EOS 50D, Tamron 17-50 F2.8 & Canon 75-300 F4.5-5.6

focus.pocus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,423 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 23, 2009 15:25 |  #24

ok... after talking to several camera store guys here in Geneva they suggest I go with the 50d body instead of buying new glass. are they just trying to sell me a body because it costs more? I can spend a little more than a grand but I was trying to budget myself a little. I was only thinking about the 18 250 so I wouldn't have to change lens so much.lol just being lazy. I am more confused now than ever. lol

I know, right? I'm just sayin'...

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,929 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 23, 2009 15:32 |  #25

focus.pocus wrote in post #8331894 (external link)
ok... after talking to several camera store guys here in Geneva they suggest I go with the 50d body instead of buying new glass. are they just trying to sell me a body because it costs more? I can spend a little more than a grand but I was trying to budget myself a little. I was only thinking about the 18 250 so I wouldn't have to change lens so much.lol just being lazy. I am more confused now than ever. lol

Well, consider the fact that after you buy the 50D, it depreciates rapidly and continuously in value, rather than holding its value like a lens. In other words, the resale value of a camera falls off so fast because the market loses interest in a body quite rapidly. A lens, holding its value and market interest, once sold will less likely create a new sale for the store because one owner sells it to another, over and over.

Buy the lens, not the body, unless a body clearly has superiority characteristics that matter to YOU. Don't forget that a Ferrari in the hands of a 16 year old learner is just as likely to go only a bit faster in the city as the lesser car when it is user limited...it is not equipment alone that makes a photo.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

2,787 views & 0 likes for this thread
what to do?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.