Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 23 Jul 2009 (Thursday) 14:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Resizing to a square resolution

fiveFPS
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 23, 2009 14:09 |  #1

I tried to type in "square" resizing and other words but no luck on the terminology so my searches were very dead.

I was hoping someone can help me retain the square canvas size of a file. I'm trying to run an action so I can save it and do a batch process. I just don't know the commands to get the file to look like PIC 1.

I usually use FIT IMAGE seting of 350x350, but the result is still a rectangle and not an actual square.

PIC 1 Preffered result (this is how it want it to look square) 350x350

IMAGE: http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/9853/zzz1l.jpg

PIC 2 (this is how i don't want it to come out - rectangular) 231x350

IMAGE: http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/4397/zzz2s.jpg

thanks for any help in advance!

Canon XTI | Canon 430ex | Crumpler 7MDH | 18-55mm

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 23, 2009 14:15 |  #2

Your sensor/base image is not square, so you can't "retain" a square image. Two things you can do is crop the image to a square (which in this case will of course crop out a lot of the subject) or, maybe, put a white layer under the original, and increase the canvas size to square or create a new square image of the right dimensions and then copy this into it in its own layer, and center it as you wish.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

fiveFPS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 23, 2009 14:20 |  #3

Tony.. thanks for the speedy response.

I think I did what you just said to get photo #1.. I had to go into the canvas size and actually elongate the "short" side to match the 350px.

But I was wondering if there is any short way of doing this in a batch with a single click?

I really don't want to go through a bunch of these images to fix the canvas's one by one

Thanks again!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 23, 2009 14:30 |  #4

An action is created by recording your steps from the Actions pallette. I can't help you step through things at this point because my computer is mostly tied up with work stuff -- maybe someone else can jump in. In the meantime read the Photoshop Help stuf on Actions and that will help with some specific steps. You may be best in using a resize canvas command to type in dimensions rather than stretching it, but right now I can't fill in any particulars.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 24, 2009 10:02 |  #5

For the object you included as a sample, if I knew that I wanted a square canvas I'd have shot it in landscape format so and then create an action that does 2 things:

1 - Image > Canvas Size - set the canvas width to be the same as the height
2 - Image > Image Size - resize the image to give the final pixel dimensions that you want
3 - File > Save for Web and Devices - save the cropped and resized file in a seperate location

This is all easy to do and I do it a lot as several of my clients want a 4:3 crop rather than a 3:2 ratio as their sites have been set up with a P&S in mind.

Just make sure that when you shoot the image that it will fit in the square framing otherwise you will have to manually adjust each image as you have done previously.

fiveFPS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 27, 2009 16:33 |  #6

Tony.. thanks for all your help much appreciated!

Nightstalker... You are right.. if I shot everything in landscape mode then I wouldn't be worrying about whether the longer pix side is vertical or horizontal.. this will definately save a lot of time. thank you!

sponsored links

987 views & 0 likes for this thread
Resizing to a square resolution
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.