Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 23 Jul 2009 (Thursday) 23:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

my shorten family shoot...

phamster
Cream of the Crop
6,315 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 23, 2009 23:06 |  #1

i set out to work with this fun family and i had all the cool places picked out for a fun outing.. but guess what? it rained..

so in between downfall, we had to rush out and get the sunset.. it was still drizzling but i wanted the sunset shot..

the alien bee got a little wet. i will test out tomorrow after it dries out..

so i only got 2 shots i liked. .being it rained and stopped and rained.. just so frustrating..
i need a studio !!! not.. well yea.. i need a studio.. ha ha..

square crop is for the facebook.. looks better on there.

IMAGE: http://i30.tinypic.com/2evap86.jpg

IMAGE: http://i25.tinypic.com/iyn4n4.jpg

added a new one.. this was when we first started.. seems like the first shots are always the best.. weird eh?

IMAGE: http://i25.tinypic.com/4vjo9c.jpg

"Lighting will make or break your photo"
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Interview with Mike Panic (external link)

sponsored links
canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 23, 2009 23:08 |  #2

sorry man but the first photo with the thing in the foreground blurry kills the photo for me.. i keep going straight to it and being like is that a dog or something?

David W.

phamster
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,315 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 23, 2009 23:18 |  #3

canonnoob wrote in post #8333979 (external link)
sorry man but the first photo with the thing in the foreground blurry kills the photo for me.. i keep going straight to it and being like is that a dog or something?

dont be sorry man..

after the family and i was under the porch.. we flipped thru all the shots. and that was the one they picked to process.. i moved around and got 10 snaps and that was the one they picked because of all the faces were pretty good.. there are others..

so no problems..

phamster

Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

quadrap
360 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 23, 2009 23:50 |  #4

phamster wrote in post #8333967 (external link)
i set out to work with this fun family and i had all the cool places picked out for a fun outing.. but guess what? it rained..

so in between downfall, we had to rush out and get the sunset.. it was still drizzling but i wanted the sunset shot..

the alien bee got a little wet. i will test out tomorrow after it dries out..

so i only got 2 shots i liked. .being it rained and stopped and rained.. just so frustrating..
i need a studio !!! not.. well yea.. i need a studio.. ha ha..

square crop is for the facebook.. looks better on there.

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

i love love # 2 what was your lighting there?
Thanks

1D mark lll | 5DMKII X 2 | 24LTS | 16-35L | 24-70
L
| 50 L | 135L | 70-200LIS|
| 85 ll
L | 35L | Passion

korrektor
Goldmember
4,908 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 24, 2009 01:02 |  #5

great clean shots, man! the second one rocks just because of the little one :) I think he is not liking the flash :)
I wish your AB luck and I hope it will not share the destiny of the pocket wizard

WEBSITE http://mikhaylovphoto.​com/ (external link)

mdporter
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 24, 2009 01:07 |  #6

I like the second on better. Too bad you cut the young girl's feet off. +1 on the blurry thing distracting me.

roman_t
Cream of the Crop
5,271 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 24, 2009 03:45 |  #7

i like those, i like light and expressions in first, girl with eyeglasses is better lit there too. that thing at front plan bothers me no more. are all those kids from one family?

Redfire_Cobra
872 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 24, 2009 09:29 |  #8

Phamster, If these shots would have been posted by 90% of the people on here I would complement them on the lighting being well done and move on. However I have seen AMAZING work produced by you and I do not think these are at the same level you usually post. Technically the lighting and camera settings are dead on but the blurry thing in 1 and feet being cut off in 2 just are not "phamster quality". Also the little girl looking away with a more playful look on her face in 1, while cute does not fit in with the rest of the family, same with the older girl on the front row in number 2.

No doubt these issues were caused from you being rushed due to the weather.

I'm sure I did not point out anything you had not noticed yourself, and I hope I did not come across as an ass, just my opinion.

On a side note: I would love to be able to nail a properly exposed sunset shot like that!

Canon 60D
Canon 50 f/1.8, Canon 70-200L f/2.8,
-Chris

phamster
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,315 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 24, 2009 11:22 |  #9

Redfire_Cobra wrote in post #8335649 (external link)
Phamster, If these shots would have been posted by 90% of the people on here I would complement them on the lighting being well done and move on. However I have seen AMAZING work produced by you and I do not think these are at the same level you usually post. Technically the lighting and camera settings are dead on but the blurry thing in 1 and feet being cut off in 2 just are not "phamster quality". Also the little girl looking away with a more playful look on her face in 1, while cute does not fit in with the rest of the family, same with the older girl on the front row in number 2.

No doubt these issues were caused from you being rushed due to the weather.

I'm sure I did not point out anything you had not noticed yourself, and I hope I did not come across as an ass, just my opinion.

On a side note: I would love to be able to nail a properly exposed sunset shot like that!

Way to RAIN on my Parade.
I knew that STORM would come.

ha ha..
no problems coming across as an @ss...

i am far from being perfect and every shoot isn't isn't always excuted in perfection.. gosh i wish it would.. but that is why i am still here.. not in New York or Chicago or L.A. doing full time photography... just a part timer..

i luv photography and POTN.. it is the only photography forum i am member of.

how i did the shot for the sunset..

find a shutter speed that would support the sky the way i want it to show..
find a happy medium exposure with the back row..(you can always lower in post in the front row person)
with the bee, i have 2 options.. move the light back or lower or raise my fstop or use the slider bar to up or lower the power of the bee..
and sometimes if i want to make slight changes in over all bump iso up 1/3 stops..

but with the rains.. i was lucky to get the settings that fast.. we only had 2 mins window.. and the women were just not happy out there in the wet conditions..

Cobra.. thanks..
phamster

Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Redfire_Cobra
872 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 24, 2009 11:38 |  #10

I'm glad you did not take that the wrong way!

It would be wonderful if we could all get the shot to come out the way we have it laid out in our heads the first time. I'm lucky to get it on the 5th try. lol

I'm with ya on the POTN thing, this is also the only photography forum I am a member of, and actually one of the reasons I settled in on Canon when shopping for a DSLR.

Thanks for the tips on the sunset, I have a senior shoot coming up next w/e and that is one of the requested shots she wants and honestly I'm sweating it. I'm hoping a single 550EX can pull it off.

Canon 60D
Canon 50 f/1.8, Canon 70-200L f/2.8,
-Chris

Michael ­ Bottoms
Cream of the Crop
6,297 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 24, 2009 11:57 |  #11

mdporter wrote in post #8334399 (external link)
I like the second on better. Too bad you cut the young girl's feet off. +1 on the blurry thing distracting me.

I think you did well under trying circumstances, but I do agree with the above. Cute family... 4 girls and a boy... I guess now they can stop eh? lol

Former Pentax & 20D owner... now the pleased owner of the new 50D, 580EX, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Canon EF-S 60mm Macro, Canon EFS 17-85mm F/4-5.6 IS USM, Canon EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS USM, Kenko 1.4X Teleplus Pro 300, Sekonic L-508 Zoom Master Meter, Manfrotto and slik tripods, trekpod and other assorted accessories...

StanNJ1
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 24, 2009 12:26 |  #12

Hey Pham +1 on the comments made and I too am liking the lighting in #2. If I may add one thing...........I enjoyed a little laugh at the family attire. The first thing I tell my subjects is to make sure NOT to wear anything with print/lettering/logos/​writing/etc. on it. There is not one person in your subject family that hasn't broken that rule! Too funny.

1DX, ID MKIII, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 16-35 2.8L, 100 macro, 600EX-RTs, ST-E3-RT, Einsteins, Kacey Beauty Dish with a cracked grid, yada yada
www.stansphotos.com (external link)
www.Facebook.com/LikeS​tansPhotos (external link)

A.Tan
599 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Jul 24, 2009 13:45 |  #13

I like the color on number 2.

5D MKII,17-40 f/4L, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 135mm f/2L, 70-200mm f/2.8L, 550EX, 580EXII, ST-E2, Sekonic L-358, 2 SB-26s, 3 AB800s.
m43 Olympus E-PL7, 12-42mm RII Kit, m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Panasonic Lumix G X 45-175mm

joefstop
80 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 24, 2009 18:34 |  #14

love both of them phamster. i will imagine # 1 without any distractions. love the blend of warm colors in # 2 :)

phamster
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,315 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 24, 2009 19:39 |  #15

joefstop wrote in post #8338334 (external link)
love both of them phamster. i will imagine # 1 without any distractions. love the blend of warm colors in # 2 :)

thanks joe..

i added a new one so you don't have to imagine..

StanNJ1 wrote in post #8336604 (external link)
Hey Pham +1 on the comments made and I too am liking the lighting in #2. If I may add one thing...........I enjoyed a little laugh at the family attire. The first thing I tell my subjects is to make sure NOT to wear anything with print/lettering/logos/​writing/etc. on it. There is not one person in your subject family that hasn't broken that rule! Too funny.

yes.. i know what you are saying, i always say wear same hue colors.. but make it solids.. and mix and match..

Michael Bottoms wrote in post #8336440 (external link)
I think you did well under trying circumstances, but I do agree with the above. Cute family... 4 girls and a boy... I guess now they can stop eh? lol

agreed.. 5 is enough..

believe it or not.. i did a family of 10.. 6 boys. .and 2 girls.. i will have to show you that photo some time.. all from the same dad and mother..

Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

2,040 views & 0 likes for this thread
my shorten family shoot...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.