Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 10 Jul 2009 (Friday) 14:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help! Albino bridesmaid...Bride is worried about photos.

starrynigh8
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 15, 2009 21:54 |  #16

I've had a bridesmaid inform me before that a bridesmaids of hers was in a wheelchair...and she just told me so that I could plan group shots accordingly. So, I think this particular bride was trying to give me a heads up that there would be an albino bridesmaid and I think she was hoping that there would be something I could do lighting wise or whatever to HELP with the extremely white hair/skin and pink eyes situation. The bridesmaid is her best friend, so if she were truly thinking that photos would be ruined then I am sure she wouldn't have asked her to be in her wedding at all.

I have honestly never shot in RAW before....looks like I will be practicing before her wedding comes around though. Please don't laugh at this, but do I need a special program to open RAW files or can I just open/edit them in Photoshop?

Thanks to everyone that responded! I appreciate it.

www.boonestudios.net (currently under construction)

sponsored links
arnie12
Well, I thought I wasn't going to be noticed
391 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 16, 2009 05:52 |  #17

starrynigh8 wrote in post #8287961 (external link)
I have honestly never shot in RAW before....looks like I will be practicing before her wedding comes around though. Please don't laugh at this, but do I need a special program to open RAW files or can I just open/edit them in Photoshop?

That depends on your version of Photoshop. If it is new enough, yes. Photoshop will automatically start ACR (Adobe Raw Converter) and give you the endless possibilities of RAW. If not, there are several ways to proceed:

• Buy an upgrade of Photoshop
  • Use the free Adobe DNG converter to convert your RAW images into DNG Format and open those files in Photoshop
  • Use another RAW converter (Bibble, Capture one).
  • Use another program (Lightroom, Aperture, Gimp+UFRAW).
Take your pick! :D:cool:;)

http://www.modelmayhem​.com/1017634 (external link)
"Monsieur l'abbé, I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write." -- Voltaire

mmahoney
Goldmember
2,789 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 16, 2009 13:02 |  #18

In addition to lacking eye pigment Albinos are generally unique looking anyways .. in other words even if she wore sunglasses she would stand out as being different.

But I don't think that all albinos have the same degree of lack of pigment, and some albino eyes appear normal in photos.

If it's truly a concern than suggest no prescription colored contact lenses .. but be careful as blue will appear violet, etc. So maybe basic dark brown would be best.

I agree that the best course of action is just shoot her as she is .. everyone knows how she looks and attempts to change it will stand out more than the original condition.

But in group photos taken from a distance you will have little to worry about anyways.

Newfoundland Wedding Photographer (external link)

infinite007
190 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 17, 2009 10:11 |  #19

agree with above comments :)

jcl photography - toronto & markham based event & wedding photographer (external link)

SoccerRef
Goldmember
1,925 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 21, 2009 16:17 |  #20

I agree with all of the comments above, especially Bobby. I always point out that I can't take a photo of something that's not there. You want passionate photos, you need to be passionate, if you want sexy photos, you need to be sexy. There are some things we can't fix in Photoshop.

You mentioned that she was a friend, if it were me and I knew this ahead of time, I would ask her if we could all meet for an hour or two and do some shooting to test some settings, and the opportunity to practice the Post Processing.

I would just explain that the challenges are real and having some practice might enable me to do a better job on the wedding day.

Frankly, this is one of the reasons I always do an engagement shoot before a wedding. It gives me an opportunity to get to know the couple, but it also gives me an opportunity to learn any quirks that will help me come wedding day. For example, during an engagement shoot I noticed a birthmark on the bride's neck that was very distracting from certain angles. I just avoided those angles when choosing poses for formal shots.

SoccerRef - PergerPhotography.com (external link) - SUPPORT POTN HERE (external link)My Canon Gear - 7D, Gripped 40D, Gripped 20D, SD780IS, EFS 17-85 f/4.0-5.6 IS, EF 28-135 IS, 420EX
My Sigma Gear - 70-200 f2.8, 28-70mm f2.8 EX DG
Next in Line
- 5D, or Mark IIn

redbaron66
26 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 23, 2009 08:11 as a reply to  @ SoccerRef's post |  #21

I understand her possible concern but you should have no problem if you are exposing properly. The brides dress is going to be white and you want to make sure you are not blowing out the dress to retain detail, so do the same with her friend. Direct or harsh flash will be your worst enemy, so bounce and use subdued light wherever possible

DALE
Canon 40D W/ GRIP; 17-40L; 50mm f1.4; Sekonic meters;

Kaigler
500 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 24, 2009 06:28 |  #22

starrynigh8 wrote in post #8258562 (external link)
The bridesmaid who is albino also has a lazy eye. So, I will already be trying to catch her eyes when they are facing foward at the same time.

Am I a bad human for laughing hysterically while picturing this scene?

Canon 5D Mk III - Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS, Sigma 85 f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 VC

focus.pocus
Goldmember
3,423 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 24, 2009 06:46 |  #23

bric-a-brac wrote in post #8267775 (external link)
bingo. RAW is a safety net; the more you get right to begin with, the less work you make for yourself when you get home.

Sorry but that has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever read on here. RAW is not a safety net. Looks like it's time for someone to maybe read a book on photography. Geez

I know, right? I'm just sayin'...

starrynigh8
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 24, 2009 06:46 |  #24

Thanks everyone for your responses!

And no, Kaigler,you are not a bad human for laughing hysterically. The whole situation is rather rediculous/comical in it's own special way and I hope that afterwards I'll be laughing about it too.

www.boonestudios.net (currently under construction)

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 29, 2009 16:06 |  #25
bannedPermanently

what a pick of a litter. Albino, and a lazy eye? Fun fun =) do your best! Bobby said it the best +3

wickerprints
"Shooting blanks"
864 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 29, 2009 16:27 |  #26

Amblyopia (lazy eye) and/or strabismus (also called "lazy eye" but is not the same) are common comorbidities of albinism; thus it should not be considered "doubly" unfortunate that this person should exhibit both phenomena.

My recommendation is to concentrate on taking good photos, period. When you try to modify good technique in the hopes of accommodating a novel situation, the result is often worse than what would have happened had you simply kept shooting the way you usually do.

The fact of the matter is that the subject is what she is. It does no one any good to mask or suppress that. Personally, I would be more concerned with the "lazy eye" rather than the albinism, because if your exposure and lighting is correct, you will get the correct image; but if the subject's eyes are not aligned, it can be disconcerting when it need not be.

There are some practical considerations you need to take into account. Since albinos exhibit photophobia (their eyes are extremely sensitive to bright light), it is inadvisable to use a strobe or other bright flash photography in her presence unless it is acceptable for all parties involved to use appropriate protective eyewear. It is also not recommended for albinos to be exposed to direct sunlight, as their complete lack of melanin makes them extremely susceptible to sunburn and skin cancer. Take photos in soft, diffuse, available light whenever possible. Take many shots in continuous mode, as this may increase the likelihood of getting a shot where the gaze is converging.

In the case where you need to really save the shot, post-processing can be helpful to correct the lazy eye. But this is a last resort.

5DmkII :: EF 24-105/4L IS :: EF 85/1.8 :: EF 70-200/2.8L IS :: EF 100/2.8L IS macro (coming soon!)

THIEF
66 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 29, 2009 16:37 |  #27

gmacmt wrote in post #8265431 (external link)
bw!

This sounds more and more like a black and white wedding.

Sorry ,but i why am i laughing right now?
Cruel sense of humor i guess.

eos 40d gripped,75-300mm/35-80mm/50mm1.8/28-105mm:cool::cool::cool:

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 30, 2009 22:11 |  #28

canonnoob wrote in post #8267687 (external link)
you dont get it... if he shoots RAW.. NONE of the camera settings apply to the final image... so things like the picture styles and such are useless...

Which is why that when the bride and bridesmaids are NOT wearing white, I shoot jpeg so my camera settings will be processed and giving me what I want..very little post if you get it right in the camera first.

sponsored links

3,763 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need help! Albino bridesmaid...Bride is worried about photos.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.