Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 23 Jul 2009 (Thursday) 15:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Chinese themed garden

mattyb240
844 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 23, 2009 15:46 |  #1

After some critique on composition primarily and any other feedback at all please!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Deviant Art (external link)

sponsored links
F4 ­ Cyborg
952 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 23, 2009 18:04 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

sometimes what is in the background is as much of interest as what is in the foreground.

Cyborg: part Man, part Machine (the machine gives a hoot!)

MattMoore
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 23, 2009 18:10 |  #3

- overexposed in some spots, colors suffer as result
- distracting background
- subject too centered in frame
- a little soft

F4 Cyborg wrote in post #8332643 (external link)
sometimes what is in the background is as much of interest as what is in the foreground.

But when it is not the intent of the photographer, we call that a distraction.

F4 ­ Cyborg
952 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 23, 2009 19:16 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

you see through your eye's and I'll se through mine. I tend to think out side the box and build in.
To make all the world believe only one item in a photograph can be of interest is a bit misleading.

Cyborg: part Man, part Machine (the machine gives a hoot!)

MattMoore
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 23, 2009 19:54 |  #5

F4 Cyborg wrote in post #8332982 (external link)
To make all the world believe only one item in a photograph can be of interest is a bit misleading.

I don't recall saying that?

What I meant was that if some part of a photo that was not part of the photographer's intent and detracts from what the photographer was trying to convey, theN it's a distraction, i probably should have said 'accident'. (which can sometimes be good).

But I am a firm believer that everything in a photograph is important. A photo is indeed a sum of it's parts.

mattyb240
THREAD ­ STARTER
844 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 24, 2009 02:14 |  #6

Unfortunately there are some blown highlights which I have tried to recover but it was that darn mid day sun. My intention was to create enough depth of field so the Chinese bridge would be able to be seen but deliberately not sharp. Perhaps in looking back I should have tried to get everything in focus?

As for the softness I think that maybe due to the poor web quality upload as on my laptop it is pretty tack sharp.

How would of you guys composed the shot?

Thanks

MattMoore
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 24, 2009 06:23 |  #7

Open up the lens a bit to throw the bridge more OOF and maybe a go tad wider.

Luckily it's a flower, so I'd say move I into a good position with your hand (via stem) so you can incorporate it and the bridge.

And maybe a small fill flash or reflector for the shadows.

hungt23
94 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 24, 2009 06:52 |  #8

The bridge in the first picture is too close to the flower. In the second picture, I agree that the bridge needs to be more out of focus.

From a newbie's point of view.

DrFil
510 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 24, 2009 07:31 |  #9

i think the first is better composed. too bad some of the flowers look like they're already on the way out. i would've maybe plucked off the bad petals.

mattyb240
THREAD ­ STARTER
844 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 24, 2009 08:54 |  #10

Thanks for the tips guys, looking more at the second one I agree less DOF would have helped! Unfortunately if I had plucked the petals I would have been torn a great big new one!

MattMoore
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 24, 2009 09:06 |  #11

mattyb240 wrote in post #8335521 (external link)
Thanks for the tips guys, looking more at the second one I agree less DOF would have helped! Unfortunately if I had plucked the petals I would have been torn a great big new one!

Just don't get caught. :p

NaiohT
40 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 24, 2009 12:52 |  #12

i think the background are a little too distracting - maybe try to blur them a bit in PP?

|| Canon XSi/450D || Canon 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 || Sigma 28-60 f/3.5-5.6 || Canon 580EX II || Manfrotto 055XB & 488RC2 ||
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,396 views & 0 likes for this thread
Chinese themed garden
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.