Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Jul 2009 (Friday) 02:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buying "Shady" Lenses

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 24, 2009 20:01 |  #46
bannedPermanent ban

ed rader wrote in post #8338547 (external link)
what a load of sanctimonious crap. who said the lens was stolen?

ed rader

Ed, you cannot tell me you don't have any suspicions on the lenses. He had to take the OP into the back of the store where the lenses were stored in a case. Does that not sound kind of fishy to you? I'd have to hear a really good story to convince me they were legit. My ethics are worth more than a few hundred bucks.

sponsored links
ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,125 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Jul 24, 2009 20:14 |  #47

Hogloff wrote in post #8338710 (external link)
Ed, you cannot tell me you don't have any suspicions on the lenses. He had to take the OP into the back of the store where the lenses were stored in a case. Does that not sound kind of fishy to you? I'd have to hear a really good story to convince me they were legit. My ethics are worth more than a few hundred bucks.

if you're saying i would knowingly buy stolen merchandise you really don't know me.

ditto for returning someone's wallet....i've done that too and i've had my returned once with all the money in it.

if it ain't mine...i don't want it. i have a conscience but what's more i really wouldn't want to go to jail for buying stolen property

yeah i would be suspicious but i would also not even bother going into that store. i've been in that area plenty of times and i've never entered any of those businesses.

the lens could have been stolen or broken but i have no way of judging that from here. i know i have heard of those stores in the past and the advise was to stay away.

you could always buy the lens, get a receipt, and take it to the PD.

also, alot of what you are reading is just harmless internet banter which i don't think warrants the harsh judgement on you part....so knock it off ;).

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,127 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 24, 2009 20:24 |  #48

Citizensmith wrote in post #8337971 (external link)
We need to send one of the SF members down there to see if it is still available. :)

i'd check it out...the thing that i don't understand is it's a store...it's not like this guy is selling lenses out of the back of his car...and if it is a store, and say yeah he ended up buying a stolen lens for cheap enough that he can make money at $350...why not sell it for a legitimate price, or slightly below market value...no point in selling it for a third of the price, and he's a camera store guy so he obviously knows the value...

i got a 50mm MK I off of ebay for $50 plus an old film camera...does that mean it was stolen, or that the person selling it just didn't know that the old lens was more valuable than they thought?

but seriously...where is this place:lol:

edit:...so after reading this i check out craigslist 70-200f4L on there for $300, which is a pretty good deal in itself...so is that stolen also?...it includes original box/everything

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Leonid ­ Photography
715 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 25, 2009 02:04 |  #49

I have been to some of those shops before. and i got a really nice wide angle adapter for my 30d and a macro for 125 with box guarantee card and everything. So just because its cheap does not mean its stolen or something. Some of those people that work there don't know what they are talking about. The guy who sold me the wide angle said it was .7 aperture when it was actually 0.7x. So you never know.

Canon 6D, Canon 50mm 1.8 STM
YN568-II, YN560-III, YN460

shayneyasinski
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 25, 2009 02:19 |  #50

first off who cares if it's stolen as anyone with a lens like that had it insured and second even if it was stolen how is that your business??

It's a store not a guy in a dark alley.

I have been to a few of these places and I would never go in thinking I was paying full price for a 100 % legit piece of anything they sell!
why?

well they most always have b run or cheap copy stuff and thats why alot of it is way cheaper than the real stuff, but they also do trades and get the odd legit item!!

so maybe that lens was a trade in that some photog did???

I would have put it on my camera and shot a few test shots and paid him if it was good .

my gear Canon 7D, Canon 5DMK2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, canon 430 speedlight, canon 17-55 2.8 IS, canon 100mm macro sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 , 60 cokin filters , 2x telecoverter.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 25, 2009 07:15 |  #51

ematts wrote in post #8338067 (external link)
If it was a real Canon (don't see any reason why you couldn't tell), and you try it, I'd do it. But impulse lens purchases (especially with all the info on the web), usually create buyer's remorse.

Of course it's a real Canon..What else would it be??

There are no such things as "knock off" lenses..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 25, 2009 09:13 |  #52
bannedPermanent ban

shayneyasinski wrote in post #8339959 (external link)
first off who cares if it's stolen as anyone with a lens like that had it insured and second even if it was stolen how is that your business??

It's a store not a guy in a dark alley.

I have been to a few of these places and I would never go in thinking I was paying full price for a 100 % legit piece of anything they sell!
why?

well they most always have b run or cheap copy stuff and thats why alot of it is way cheaper than the real stuff, but they also do trades and get the odd legit item!!

so maybe that lens was a trade in that some photog did???

I would have put it on my camera and shot a few test shots and paid him if it was good .

Like I said previously, some of us have different morals than others. I personally would not come close to something which might have been stolen. I just feel by buying the "stolen" property, I am contributing to the escalating crimes just as much as the thief. I know we don't know for sure these lenses have been stolen, but you cannot tell me that is not in the back of your mind. To each his own.

Citizensmith
Cream of the Crop
6,386 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2004

Jul 25, 2009 10:40 |  #53

Hogloff wrote in post #8340790 (external link)
Like I said previously, some of us have different morals than others. I personally would not come close to something which might have been stolen. I just feel by buying the "stolen" property, I am contributing to the escalating crimes just as much as the thief. I know we don't know for sure these lenses have been stolen, but you cannot tell me that is not in the back of your mind. To each his own.

Agreed. By buying something you know to be stolen you are encouraging the cycle as the thief knows stealing more, similar stuff will get them paid.

In this case though, an apparently permanent store in a decent location, I'd be OK with the purchase as there are plenty of other possibilities for the lenses price including being sold be someone unaware of its value (mistook the IS for the non-IS?) or possibly a fault that wasn't obvious in the store.

My POTN Gallery, Complete gear list,
Tradition - Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

carpenter
Goldmember
2,625 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 25, 2009 10:53 |  #54

shayneyasinski wrote in post #8339959 (external link)

Who cares??? Are you serious here? If it was stolen even if you didn't know it, you run the risk of losing it if the law happens to catch up with it. It becomes your business pretty quickly. Secondly, you are vastly mistaken if you think that it's a guarantee that people have expensive lenses insured. Not everyone insures their stuff. (Not the wisest decision sitting on expensive equipment but certainly common) Lastly, you are basically saying "It's ok to buy stolen stuff because it was insured" No harm. You don't think that things like that cost you money in the long run?
Someone pays for it and eventually it comes back down to those who purchase insurance.

5D Mk IV | 24-105L | 85 1.8 | 70-200L 2.8 IS MkII | 100-400L MkII

eb314
314 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 25, 2009 11:29 |  #55

I'm not sure what I would've done. It's better not to worry about it...If you would've pulled the trigger and bought the lens, a number of things might have had you wishing that you'd just walked away. You'll never know, so don't worry about it. I think you're right to think that if a deal is too good to be true, it USUALLY is. If you walk away every time, you'll never get burned.

huyness
518 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 25, 2009 14:22 |  #56

just because it's cheap doesn't mean its stolen. i buy used stuff on craigslist all the time and i never question if it was obtained illegally or not. of course, i never met anyone in a dark alleyway or at an airport, but is the store owner that stupid to sell stolen merchandise?

i would be more wary of the lens being broken or hastily fixed by some 3rd rate technician with an AA degree. Sure it works in the store, but who knows how well it would operate in 2 days.

but then again $350 for a 70-200mm is just too good to pass up :)

www.instagr​am.com/hmd​fotos (external link)
www.patreon.com/hmdfot​os (external link)

shayneyasinski
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 25, 2009 14:34 |  #57

carpenter wrote in post #8341206 (external link)
Who cares??? Are you serious here? If it was stolen even if you didn't know it, you run the risk of losing it if the law happens to catch up with it. It becomes your business pretty quickly. Secondly, you are vastly mistaken if you think that it's a guarantee that people have expensive lenses insured. Not everyone insures their stuff. (Not the wisest decision sitting on expensive equipment but certainly common) Lastly, you are basically saying "It's ok to buy stolen stuff because it was insured" No harm. You don't think that things like that cost you money in the long run?
Someone pays for it and eventually it comes back down to those who purchase insurance.

he was not in a dark alley buying gear he was in a store and at that point it is not his problem if the lens is stolen it is the stores problem.

In most cases if the law finds this lens to be stolen they will also be on your side to get your money back from the store , but again this is what happens in canada so the US may be different??

here in canada your home insurance covers your gear so I am not sure how it works in the US but if you have 5 grand worth of stuff in your bag and no insurance then your just silly!

Morals......... people die everyday fighting in wars that have no real outcome so in the grand scale of things buying a lens that may be stolen is low on my list of morals.

just wondering if anyone has more info if it is a stolen lens or just a good deal??

my gear Canon 7D, Canon 5DMK2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, canon 430 speedlight, canon 17-55 2.8 IS, canon 100mm macro sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 , 60 cokin filters , 2x telecoverter.

zaathrus
Pole Dancin' Hamster
914 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 25, 2009 14:48 |  #58

shayneyasinski wrote in post #8341973 (external link)
he was not in a dark alley buying gear he was in a store and at that point it is not his problem if the lens is stolen it is the stores problem.

In most cases if the law finds this lens to be stolen they will also be on your side to get your money back from the store , but again this is what happens in canada so the US may be different??

here in canada your home insurance covers your gear so I am not sure how it works in the US but if you have 5 grand worth of stuff in your bag and no insurance then your just silly!

Morals......... people die everyday fighting in wars that have no real outcome so in the grand scale of things buying a lens that may be stolen is low on my list of morals.

just wondering if anyone has more info if it is a stolen lens or just a good deal??

What?? It was stated that if it was "hot property" the local statues would look on it as being a purchase of stolen goods with knowledge/suspicion of the fact which is a crime! NEVER buy stolen property as you run the risk of it being found out and confiscated!!

If the OP could have gotten a pukka till receipt for it then he's on better grounds legally, but not a risk I'd take.

Let me pose this question - if your stash of uninsured "L" lenses (say your insurance company found a loophole to avoid paying out) got pinched, would YOU be happy about me buying them all off a fence for peanuts, or would you want them back? I think I already know the answer...

Joined the cult of the HAMSTTR :cool:
Flickr (external link)
Our Zenfolio (external link)

JAcosta
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 25, 2009 14:53 |  #59

I guess Im a horrible person because I would have offered $1000 for the lot and walked out a happy camper.

Like any of the photos Ive posted?flickr flickr flickr (external link)
^^^Click Here^^^
Chances are you'll see something else you like!

carpenter
Goldmember
2,625 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 25, 2009 14:57 |  #60

shayneyasinski wrote in post #8341973 (external link)

Does your home owner's/renter's insurance cover items stolen from your vehicle not on your property? Mine does not. Nor will my auto insurance pay for this.

I had a lens swiped out of my car at the park. Car was locked and the lens was in a black bag on the back floor. I was off shooting a session and did not need my 70-200 2.8 IS. so I left it in the bag in the car. Came back, window was smashed and lens was gone. That was my first nice lens and I had no insurance on it.

5D Mk IV | 24-105L | 85 1.8 | 70-200L 2.8 IS MkII | 100-400L MkII

sponsored links

6,201 views & 0 likes for this thread
Buying "Shady" Lenses
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.