Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Jul 2009 (Tuesday) 18:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shooting for graduation party...28mm or 50mm?

fireplug
434 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 21, 2009 18:04 |  #1

Hey guys,

I don't post much unless I have a question, and usually you guys answer the majority I have. But I just have 1 now I can't figure out. I am finally graduating my Fire Academy next friday, and we(my class) are having a party this friday at a bar(open bar, free food, all paid for...blah blah blah) and I wanted to know which lens would work the best?

I have a Canon 40D currently, no problems with it(except for the fact its not a full frame >.< ) but I want to know what lens I should bring. It's going to be indoors, at night, so there will be pretty much low light 99.99% of the time. I have a Canon 2.8 28mm lens, and a CZ 1.4 50mm Lens.

What do you guys think would be better? I also will have my Flash attached to my camera the whole night. I was thinking the 28mm because it is alot wider then my 50mm, but my 50mm seems to be a little bit sharper.

Help?

Canon Power Shot S5 IS, Canon G10, Canon EOS 40D, Canon AE-1
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,126 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Jul 21, 2009 18:09 |  #2

fireplug wrote in post #8320662 (external link)
Hey guys,

I don't post much unless I have a question, and usually you guys answer the majority I have. But I just have 1 now I can't figure out. I am finally graduating my Fire Academy next friday, and we(my class) are having a party this friday at a bar(open bar, free food, all paid for...blah blah blah) and I wanted to know which lens would work the best?

I have a Canon 40D currently, no problems with it(except for the fact its not a full frame >.< ) but I want to know what lens I should bring. It's going to be indoors, at night, so there will be pretty much low light 99.99% of the time. I have a Canon 2.8 28mm lens, and a CZ 1.4 50mm Lens.

What do you guys think would be better? I also will have my Flash attached to my camera the whole night. I was thinking the 28mm because it is alot wider then my 50mm, but my 50mm seems to be a little bit sharper.

Help?

28mm + flash without question :D.

too bad you don't have a zoom to get a wider FOV.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,731 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 21, 2009 18:10 |  #3

The wider one is better for social settings in tighter spaces, but poorer for low light available light shooting! The 50mm will address low light better, but be too tight for more than one or two people in the shot with an APS-C, unless you are more than 10' away!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Citizensmith
Cream of the Crop
6,386 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jul 21, 2009 18:10 |  #4

I'd take the 28. A 50 is really pretty narrow for interior stuff.

Actually, I wouldn't take either. It's your graduation, there is an open bar so presumably you and a fair few friends will be 3 sheets to the wind. I'd take an old point and shoot that I don't mind breaking/loosing.

My POTN Gallery, Complete gear list,
Tradition - Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

fireplug
THREAD ­ STARTER
434 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 21, 2009 19:13 |  #5

Ok, I guess I will go with the 28mm.

Citizensmith, you are right about the drinking, we will be drinking...but I have found that I take better photos buzzed then sober sometimes haha. I'll make sure to have my neck strap! ;)

flickr (external link)

twoshadows
Liquid Nitrogen
6,673 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 21, 2009 20:08 |  #6

Hey Fireplug,

Congrats on the graduation :) .

Why not take both? The 28 will get you the group shots and environmental portraits and the 50 will get you 1-2 people at a time. This way you can mix it up a little. I'd definitely bring and use the flash, bounced if you can.

HTH,

Ian

xgender.net (external link) Miss Julia Grey - please refer to me as she/her/Miss
Nikkor 28/2, 35/2.8-PC, 55/1.2 | Vivitar 55/2.8 macro | Voigtländer 50/2.8 | Olympus 75-150/4 | Tamron SP 28-80, SP 60-300, SP 300/5.6 | Pentax SMC Takumar 135/2.5, 200/4 | Canon 24mm TS-E II | Lensbaby Composer Pro II w/Sweet35mm & Edge50mm | Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Oreston 50/1.8 | Canon 5DIIx2, 5D, 20Dx2 | Sigma 12-24 | Canon 28-105 II, 85/1.8 | Yongnuo 50/1.8

Citizensmith
Cream of the Crop
6,386 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jul 21, 2009 21:31 |  #7

fireplug wrote in post #8320953 (external link)
Ok, I guess I will go with the 28mm.

Citizensmith, you are right about the drinking, we will be drinking...but I have found that I take better photos buzzed then sober sometimes haha. I'll make sure to have my neck strap! ;)

The S5 IS could take care of some of that alcohol sway :)

Tradition - Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

fireplug
THREAD ­ STARTER
434 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 23, 2009 18:33 |  #8

Well heres a question...I have a Sigma 10-20mm lens I use for really wide shots...would that be a better choice? I would think that it would be too wide though...

flickr (external link)

Citizensmith
Cream of the Crop
6,386 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jul 24, 2009 17:01 |  #9

fireplug wrote in post #8332773 (external link)
Well heres a question...I have a Sigma 10-20mm lens I use for really wide shots...would that be a better choice? I would think that it would be too wide though...

An ultrawide could get some fun shots and is going to be good indoors. Watch for people near the edges of the frame though. The perspective of an ultrawide can do weird things to faces.

Wilt
41,731 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 24, 2009 18:06 |  #10

Citizensmith wrote in post #8337895 (external link)
An ultrawide could get some fun shots and is going to be good indoors. Watch for people near the edges of the frame though. The perspective of an ultrawide can do weird things to faces.

Perspective not only can get weird at edges of the frame, it can 'distort' things in the center of the frame too. Perspective distortion vs. what happens when you take spherical space and try to make it rectilinear.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Citizensmith
Cream of the Crop
6,386 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jul 25, 2009 10:33 |  #11

Wilt wrote in post #8338186 (external link)
Perspective not only can get weird at edges of the frame, it can 'distort' things in the center of the frame too. Perspective distortion vs. what happens when you take spherical space and try to make it rectilinear.

Yeah but they will all be drunk, getting up close for a giant nose shot will look great later on Facebook. :)

Wilt
41,731 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 25, 2009 12:33 |  #12

Citizensmith wrote in post #8341120 (external link)
Yeah but they will all be drunk, getting up close for a giant nose shot will look great later on Facebook. :)

Even a 28mm on ASP-C won't be able to achieve the giant nose effect, though. It would take a 16mm or less to accomplish this slapstick shot.

Citizensmith
Cream of the Crop
6,386 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jul 25, 2009 19:25 |  #13

Wilt wrote in post #8341596 (external link)
Even a 28mm on ASP-C won't be able to achieve the giant nose effect, though. It would take a 16mm or less to accomplish this slapstick shot.

Yeah, but the thread had been steered in the direction of the sigma 10-20, and "Makes noses look really big" is part of the sales pitch for that lens.

sponsored links

2,555 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting for graduation party...28mm or 50mm?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.