Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 26 Jan 2006 (Thursday) 15:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM

this thread is locked
lostid
Goldmember
2,622 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 26, 2009 03:50 |  #2431

Tawcan wrote in post #8342199 (external link)
Love it, did you use a ND filter? If so how many stops?

B+W 10 stops ND

flickr (external link) & Gear

sponsored links
DEMO
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 26, 2009 15:39 |  #2432

Happy to try out his new helmet..

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2448/3758670803_ca83faf324.jpg

RAFAEL SANCHEZ

Edwin ­ Harvey
395 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 26, 2009 18:20 as a reply to  @ post 8342476 |  #2433

Thanks mate; "Pward 1980" for your comments on my two images. I hope you make it to Australia some day soon. There's certainly lots of fantastic things here for you to photograph. I was in The Deep South in 2001 & visited the old confederate capital of Richmond. One day, God willing I'll come back, but will spend more time discovering all the majestic sights The U.S. has to offer.

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,200 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 26, 2009 21:18 |  #2434

Richmond is about 20 minutes away from where I live. there's actually a Civil War battlefield minutes away from me. One of these days I'll make it out there to see if anything catches my eye.... I guess it's one of those things..."it will always be there, so no rush"...or where my eyes are set on sights I cannot reach, whereas in other countries there are people thinking the same about where I live and the surrounding areas lol.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

i_am_hydrogen
Goldmember
1,705 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 26, 2009 22:32 |  #2435

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2618/3759996433_1502bec5ea_o.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2440/3756400259_d0d1e3732d_o.jpg

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

flickr (external link) | Kevin

Canon 6D | Canon 5D II | Canon TS-E 17
L | Canon TS-E 24L | Canon TS-E 45 | Canon 135L | Canon 24-105 ISL

amairphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,892 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 26, 2009 23:00 as a reply to  @ i_am_hydrogen's post |  #2436

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

here is a 100% crop of that image, if you look at the background you can see the fireworks going off for 4th July. I love this picture because i can look around and see all thr crowds reactions and what theyre doing

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

and another

IMAGE NOT FOUND

My Website: http://www.amairphoto.​com (external link)
flickr (external link)

Edwin ­ Harvey
395 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 26, 2009 23:56 as a reply to  @ PLLphotography's post |  #2437

G'day again Pward1980. I've read tons of books about "The War Of Northern Aggression" mainly from the Southern perspective. I too would love to visit some of the battlefields, Bull Run, Petersburg, Shiloh, Vicksburg & last but not least Gettysburg. Did you have any of your ancestors fight in that war? Have you taken many Landscape images with your new lens? I've found that the 17-40L beats all the others for sharpness & colour. If you haven't yet, I encourage you to get out there & take some landscape images of your beautiful part of the country & post them here for all to see.
Take care mate.......Ed.

peterbj7
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 27, 2009 02:01 |  #2438

i_am_hydrogen wrote in post #8348629 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

What have you done to that sky? It's like something from Armageddon!

5D & 7D (both gripped), 24-105L, 100-400L, 15-85, 50 f1.8, Tamron 28-75, Sigma 12-24, G10, EX-Z55 & U/W housing, A1+10 lenses, tripods, lighting gear, etc. etc.
"I prefer radio to television. The pictures are better"

rvdw98
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 27, 2009 05:39 |  #2439

peterbj7 wrote in post #8349399 (external link)
What have you done to that sky? It's like something from Armageddon!

I suspect it's being lit up by the city lights.

Roy

GrillZ
246 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 27, 2009 07:41 |  #2440

I just got my 17-40 yesterday.

Haven't gotten a chance to shoot with it yet.
Hopefully it's a good copy.....you know....

www.1stClassVisuals.co​m (external link)
5D MK III | Canon 70-200L IS II | Canon 16-35L II | Canon 1.4x Extender II | 2x AB800's + 1xABR800 | 4x Cactus V5 Triggers | + More coming soon!
My Flickr (external link)

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,200 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 27, 2009 07:51 |  #2441

Edwin Harvey wrote in post #8349020 (external link)
G'day again Pward1980. I've read tons of books about "The War Of Northern Aggression" mainly from the Southern perspective. I too would love to visit some of the battlefields, Bull Run, Petersburg, Shiloh, Vicksburg & last but not least Gettysburg. Did you have any of your ancestors fight in that war? Have you taken many Landscape images with your new lens? I've found that the 17-40L beats all the others for sharpness & colour. If you haven't yet, I encourage you to get out there & take some landscape images of your beautiful part of the country & post them here for all to see.
Take care mate.......Ed.

I am unsure as to whether any of my ancestors fought in the Civil War....but I'm sure they did. I once did a brief check on the history of my surname (although no telling how accurate that is), however, it shows that settlers with my surname settled in Norfolk/Chesapeake Virginia in the 1620's (which coincidentally is where my father's family was from).

I have yet to take any landscape pictures....or very many of ANY pictures for that matter, other than candid pictures or just pictures of random things. I currently work a full time job during the week, and a part-time job on the weekends, so time is usually a limiting factor in my free time :(

I do hope to soon take a trip out to Battlefield Park and see if anything catches my eye. I haven't been out there since I was a kid.

- Phillip -

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

Edwin ­ Harvey
395 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 27, 2009 18:32 as a reply to  @ PLLphotography's post |  #2442

Good on you mate. I'll look forward to seeing the next lot of images you post on POTN. Battlefield Park sounds like a good place to start. I was in Richmond in the autumn of 2001 & was amazed at the beautiful colours of the leaves on the ground. I loved walking up Confederate Avenue {if that's what it's called} with those massive statues of the Confederate Generals. We don't have anything like that here in Australia & I was completely blown away by the experience......... Anyhow Phillip; take care & happy snapping.
~Ed~

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,200 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 27, 2009 19:32 |  #2443

Ah, that would be Monument Avenue in Richmond....along a cobblestone road right?

If I wasn't certain I would get run down by a passing motorist, I might take a stroll through there and snap some photos :lol:

What I'm really hoping for is when Autumn comes around.... I want to take a drive down Skyline Drive. it's a long winding road (around 100 miles or so) through the Appalachian Mountains.

this is not my photo, but one I found by doing a quick search to give you an idea:

IMAGE: http://z.about.com/d/forestry/1/7/2/l/Skyline_Pinnacles.jpg
Skyline Drive View of a Virginia Pine, Oak Hickory Forest - Pinnacles Overlook, Virginia
Photo by Jone Lewis, WomensHistory at About.com

Edwin ­ Harvey
395 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 28, 2009 01:55 as a reply to  @ PLLphotography's post |  #2444

G'day Phillip.
Thanks for the pretty scenic image of Oak Hickory Forest, I love the beautiful autumn colours. The Appalatians is another place I'd love to visit. I've seen so many pictures of it in National Geographic magazines etc, but that's not the same as seeing it in person. Perhaps one day before I depart planet Earth I'll get to see "The Promised Land" Monument Avenue, thanks for reminding me,I must be getting old & forgetful not to remember its name. I look forward to seeing the photos you take of it one day. Are you on Facebook at all? Catch you later...........Ed.

friz
Goldmember
1,595 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 28, 2009 12:54 |  #2445

I think I have one of these bought. Can't wait to play with it.

sponsored links

3,026,336 views & 1 like for this thread
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.