Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 17 Jun 2008 (Tuesday) 13:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens Baby

SteveNC
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 17, 2009 22:43 |  #91

The Evil One wrote in post #8299198 (external link)
Here is one using the macro kit on my Lensbaby muse. I love how I could actually focus on the reflection on the eye! There is a learning curve on this but I am willing to work on it! :lol:

Are you sure it wasn't the fact that you were manually focusing (rather than using autofocus)?

"Dream it. Plan it. Do it."
- National Geographic ...with a 300D and a kit lens (external link)

85 1.2L II, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L IS, 17-40L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Elinchrom, Lastolite, Photoflex, Think Tank, Member: Canon Professional Services, National Association of Photoshop Professionals

sponsored links
The ­ Evil ­ One
27 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 18, 2009 13:38 |  #92

SteveNC wrote in post #8299747 (external link)
Are you sure it wasn't the fact that you were manually focusing (rather than using autofocus)?

Of course but for me a complete noob and not use to manual focus, it impresses me to no end.:oops:

My Gear:Canon EOS 50D gripped, Canon EOS Rebel XSi gripped, Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6Di LD Macro 1:2 lens, Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon EFS 18-55mm kit lens, Canon EF 28-105mm F/4-5.6 USM, Canon EF25 Extension Tube, Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM, Lensbaby Muse with accessory kit, SmartFlash PZ139C Flash Unit, Giottos MM 55 Monopod, Slik 300 tripod

blackviolet
Goldmember
1,313 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jul 21, 2009 20:35 |  #93

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2443/3588732681_1b508b04e7_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/0bli0/358873268​1/  (external link)

lensbaby composer w/ single glass optic on 5dmk2

--
oblio
1dmkiii - 5dmkii -Leica M8/M6 - Mamiya 645AFDiii/zd
ModelMayhem (external link) | my (external link)flick (external link)r gallery (external link)

The ­ Evil ­ One
27 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 22, 2009 20:42 as a reply to  @ blackviolet's post |  #94

What a great shot blackviolet...

My Gear:Canon EOS 50D gripped, Canon EOS Rebel XSi gripped, Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6Di LD Macro 1:2 lens, Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon EFS 18-55mm kit lens, Canon EF 28-105mm F/4-5.6 USM, Canon EF25 Extension Tube, Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM, Lensbaby Muse with accessory kit, SmartFlash PZ139C Flash Unit, Giottos MM 55 Monopod, Slik 300 tripod

The ­ Evil ­ One
27 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 22, 2009 20:49 as a reply to  @ The Evil One's post |  #95

A couple of shots using my Lensbaby Muse...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

The ­ Evil ­ One
27 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 25, 2009 13:44 as a reply to  @ The Evil One's post |  #96

Another shot I took during the Worldwide Photowalk downtown Oklahoma using the Lenbaby Muse.

HOSTED PHOTO

ScootersDaddy
398 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 26, 2009 18:17 |  #97

I've been totally wrapped up with the Lensbabies for the past two weeks. What an absolute hoot they are! I've played around with custom apertures and different optics and I think that's one of the cooler aspects of them. I really enjoy the style of images these things can produce. Here's a few examples of my recent shots:

IMAGE: http://www.atwoodknives.com/pics/footbridgeleverett.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.atwoodknives.com/pics/sawmillleverett1.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.atwoodknives.com/pics/catdrips2.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.atwoodknives.com/pics/mossyroots.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.atwoodknives.com/pics/daisydream.jpg

--Peter
Bodies may come and go but L glass is forever.
PhotoBlog (external link) Gear List

ScootersDaddy
398 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 26, 2009 19:05 |  #98

I have both the Muse and the Composer. At first I thought the Muse with single glass optic was my favorite but after messing with it for a couple of weeks I found I was not able to achieve focus on an awful lot of shots especially in low light. Sometimes to get focus in the image you have to take a pic with what looks like out of focus in the viewfinder.

The Composer takes a lot of the random results out of it for me. I also decided that with the Double glass optic you can get better blur than the single glass. Finding focus is much much easier with the Composer. And It has the locking feature which helps simplify life too. I still love the Muse but the Composer is going to be my preferred LB for the foreseeable future.

The macro kit works very well. Comes with two screw on closeup lenses, 4x and 10x, and you can double them up if you wish. I could not get my Kenko 2x extension tube to work with the Muse on my 5DMKII but everything else works wonderfully.

Bottom line: I know there are folks on these forums who are coming from a different place and may not care for the kind of images the Lensbaby makes. No problem. But for a lot of people especially experimental upstart types like me these are a great addition to their kit. :-)

--Peter
Bodies may come and go but L glass is forever.
PhotoBlog (external link) Gear List

The ­ Evil ­ One
27 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 01, 2009 10:36 |  #99

ScootersDaddy wrote in post #8347646 (external link)
Bottom line: I know there are folks on these forums who are coming from a different place and may not care for the kind of images the Lensbaby makes. No problem. But for a lot of people especially experimental upstart types like me these are a great addition to their kit. :-)

Amen brother. I am now looking into the composer and when it comes in, I will post some pics. I have so much fun with the Lensbaby an I love the reaction I get when I have it on my camera!

susabell
53 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 03, 2009 16:00 |  #100

ScootersDaddy wrote in post #8347646 (external link)

It is a fun lens and I really think some dismiss it too easily. Here is one I took last spring. I took shots with a regular lens too. But the lensbaby shot was the best of the bunch.

IMAGE: http://www.betterphoto.com/uploads/processed/0911/0903121306231railroadb.jpg

5D MKII, 40D, 17-40mmL, 60mm, 85mm 1.8,
|Flickr| (external link)

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 04, 2009 09:54 |  #101

i never really researched this lens. a deal popped up on Amazon for $69 for the 2.0 so I jumped on it, and researched after.

Seems like no one really likes the 2.0? The composer seems the way to go but is a lot more money.

Joe- 2 bodies, L 2.8 zoom trilogy and a couple of primes
iRocktheShot.com (external link) - Portfolio (external link)

Gear/Feedback
Facebook "Fan" Page (external link) -

rvdw98
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 04, 2009 10:08 |  #102

susabell wrote in post #8392199 (external link)
It is a fun lens and I really think some dismiss it too easily. Here is one I took last spring. I took shots with a regular lens too. But the lensbaby shot was the best of the bunch.

This has a wonderfully eerie feel to it. Like in a horror movie where the character is being drawn into a house, even though it's obvious that there's something nefarious lurking inside. :)

Roy

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,427 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Aug 04, 2009 10:19 |  #103

With all due respect for those who posted images taken with less babies, I have yet to see an image that I thought was appealing. And that includes all the advertising images. In my perception, it looks like I'm looking at a photograph and there's some kind of mucus on my cornea blocking part of the image. I keep blinking in order to clear it up, but it won't go away.

I view it as a passing fad that falls into the same category as selective color and pictures of reflections in puddles. It's the kind of tool that might serve a useful purpose to direct the eye of a beginning photographer, but deserves to be consigned to oblivion once he or she develops any skill. I'm not trying to change anybody's mind here because clearly there are lots of people who are all excited about lens babies. I'm just not one of them.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 04, 2009 10:23 |  #104

joedlh wrote in post #8396805 (external link)
With all due respect for those who posted images taken with less babies, I have yet to see an image that I thought was appealing. And that includes all the advertising images. In my perception, it looks like I'm looking at a photograph and there's some kind of mucus on my cornea blocking part of the image. I keep blinking in order to clear it up, but it won't go away.

I view it as a passing fad that falls into the same category as selective color and pictures of reflections in puddles. It's the kind of tool that might serve a useful purpose to direct the eye of a beginning photographer, but deserves to be consigned to oblivion once he or she develops any skill. I'm not trying to change anybody's mind here because clearly there are lots of people who are all excited about lens babies. I'm just not one of them.

I'm trying to figure out why you felt it necessary to pop into the sample thread and give everyone your opinion that their lens and pictures are not good and just a passing fad. I don't think anyone in here was asking for others' opinions on the lens.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

weezerfan84
903 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 04, 2009 10:25 |  #105

Every type of lens or PP skill has it's time in the lime light. I missed the move of selective coloring, but I know many women like it on their wedding day. No different then people who like lens baby photos, HDR, desaturated and/or muted colors. People do what catches someone's eye and what can or will put money in their pocket. Yes, I can agree that to a point it becomes overdone; however, I'm sure many clients like these types of pics on occasion.

Canon 5D classic/Canon 85 1.8/17-40L/Siggy 50 f/1.4 ex/430ex speedlite/and some books

My slowly improving flickr (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=735845

sponsored links

106,095 views & 63 likes for this thread
Lens Baby
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.