Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Jul 2009 (Sunday) 20:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I don't like my 5Dm2

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 26, 2009 23:48 |  #31
bannedPermanently

maybe you just need to get used to it more =) MHM I bet that's it.

sponsored links
Njv
Goldmember
1,858 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 26, 2009 23:49 |  #32

Or maybe he just flat out doesn't like it. That could be it.

7d|tamron 17-50mm f2.8

Lazuka
Cream of the Crop
5,639 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 27, 2009 01:20 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

ed rader wrote in post #8348700 (external link)
go where :D?

ed rader

Hahaha, i didn't notice i missed the You're, i'll leave it as is, for a good laugh.

Your'e going to love my nuts! (gotta love the shamwow guy)

P.S. Good thing the TF doesn't hang around this part of the forum hahaha.

I suck at Photoshop.

Luke ­ Cern
926 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 27, 2009 07:35 |  #34

Karl Johnston wrote in post #8348007 (external link)
I dont know what's wrong with me..but I don't like my 5Dm2. I get better shots on my 50D and I don't know -why-. My 50D feels better, sounds better...and I don't know what it is but I just can't get the same level of consistency no matter what I do with the 5D mark II. I know the DOF is a lot greater, and the FOV..but as for detail..I don't know.

Is it possible my lenses aren't resolving the megapixels of the 5D2 opposed to the 50D? I figured that was just a rumor.

I'm thinking it's all in my head because I'm used to shooting the 50D more than the 5D. Has anyone else found that full frame isn't all it cracked up to be?

Karl

I've been there and had my doubts, having almost sold my first 5D in desperation. However, my local dealer offered me his first stock 5D2 and I couldn't really turn it down while the rest of the world seemed to be waiting another two months. The only issue I can agree about is that the shutter sound is so clunky compared to a MKII or MKIII.
Anyway, what I have found is that lenses are the key to getting the peak performance from this body. L lenses work best with the large sensor. My Sigma 12-24 does not resolve detail well despite being fine on my 1DMKIII.
My newest acquisition is the 135 L which is briliant but possibly too long for you.
What lenses do you use? and is there any chance you are adding filters that are degrading the image. I had a Heliopan UV added to a 400mm f/5.6 that caused a load of grief and was only identified as the culprit after the lens had two trips to canon.

cookie99
482 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 27, 2009 07:53 as a reply to  @ post 8348783 |  #35

I love my 5d II I rarely use my 30d anymore. I have to say i like the shutter button better but it was an adjustment for me. When I first started shooting with the 5d II it changed the way I shot.

I have and use twenty cameras going back to twin lens reflexes, Hasselblads, Canons, Nikons, Leicas (these are all film cameras I still use) Plus 1 350D, 2X30Ds, 1X450D, 1X 1D MKIII, 1 X IdsMkIII, 1 X 5D MKII and all have their high and low points and I suspect they all think the same of me.

Learn to love the differences and take time to learn the values of each camera, if you can't, give it to those who wish they had it.

No one camera does it all but all will do it well given our time and patience and love of our hobby.

I am 63 and still jump out of planes with a F2AS Nikon with 250 film back and motodrive on my helmet and two small Video cameras velcro attached to the sides of said helmet and still get better shot than friends with 50Ds.

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you are with (applies to cameras as well) :)

Chris Cooke "Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni"

robojack
520 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 27, 2009 08:01 |  #36

Karl, post some examples, as it might be easier to see what you're referring to.

5DMk2 | 5D Classic /w BG-E4 | EF 35 f1.4L (main) | Sigma 85 f/1.4 (main) | 430EX | LP160| LP120 | AB800 | Armatar 100
Jack | Gallery - flickr (external link)
Still learning...but making strides with every actuation.

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,913 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 27, 2009 08:22 |  #37

I prefer 1-series cameras, i have 5D mkI and i used 5D mkII of my friend and i didn't got WOW at all, i only feel happy when using 1-series camera always [not talking about my another top camera].

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 27, 2009 08:26 |  #38

Karl Johnston wrote in post #8348007 (external link)
Has anyone else found that full frame isn't all it cracked up to be?

Not me, even a 1.3x crop is out of the question for me, but everyone has different needs.

If you are happy with your 50D, why not just sell the 5D? You could probably get most of your money back, and you would have a camera you're perfectly happy with, and $2500 in your pocket.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

davidinjp
324 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 27, 2009 08:39 |  #39
bannedPermanently

I don't think it is a full frame issue. It took me a while to curtail my flaws as a photographer when I went from 5D to the increased resolution of the 5DII. Camera shake and small focusing misses seemed to be more evident on the 5D2. I did do some lens micro-adjust and that also helped, along with using a tripod more or shooting at faster shutter speeds.

Anyway, if you still don't like it... I will PM you with my address and take it off your hands. :-)

twofruitz
840 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 27, 2009 08:41 |  #40

I didn't take good photos until I upgraded from the 40d to the 5dmkII.

Gear List

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,691 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jul 27, 2009 08:43 |  #41

davidinjp wrote in post #8350324 (external link)
I don't think it is a full frame issue. It took me a while to curtail my flaws as a photographer when I went from 5D to the increased resolution of the 5DII. Camera shake and small focusing misses seemed to be more evident on the 5D2. I did do some lens micro-adjust and that also helped, along with using a tripod more or shooting at faster shutter speeds.

It has always been true that moving to a larger format requires more exacting technique (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch in photography), but the results are ultimately superior.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 27, 2009 09:55 |  #42

twofruitz wrote in post #8350328 (external link)
I didn't take good photos until I upgraded from the 40d to the 5dmkII.

i can't tell whether or not this is sarcastic. :o

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

ddong
405 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 27, 2009 12:30 |  #43

Karl Johnston wrote in post #8348064 (external link)
I think the biggest thing that pisses me off about the 5D2 is the shutter button. It's so insensitive

I am with you on this point.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 27, 2009 12:33 |  #44

alt4852 wrote in post #8350658 (external link)
i can't tell whether or not this is sarcastic. :o

probably not, cameras that cost more can take better photos - isn't it obvious?
:D

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 27, 2009 12:36 |  #45

watt100 wrote in post #8351437 (external link)
probably not, cameras that cost more can take better photos - isn't it obvious?
:D

Heh! The thing that bugs me is that my camera just doesn't take as good pictures as so many I see that are shot with the exact same equipment. My camera is obviously a defect -- that and those nice lenses I got to make it a "better camera":)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

9,761 views & 0 likes for this thread
I don't like my 5Dm2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.