Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Jul 2009 (Monday) 13:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding lens question

1shot4u
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 27, 2009 13:43 |  #1

I have a Canon 50 f1.8 and a Canon 70-300 f4. Will these two lens be good to shoot an indoor wedding? I will be looking at the venue this Friday, so right now not real sure about the lighting inside. Right now all I have for external light is a Canon 420EX. (posted a question about it also). This will be my 1st wedding in August. Our son has shot approx. 8 weddings and he is going to be the shooter for the formals and I'll shoot mainly the reception. Thanks for any replies I receive from you guy's and gal's. Stephen

Stephen Shell
Canon G12.

sponsored links
canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 27, 2009 13:45 |  #2

honestly no.. the nifty will be your best bet... but you dont even have a 70-300 f4 (according to your sig). your going to be hurting unless you get something that will do well in low light..

David W.

1shot4u
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 27, 2009 13:56 |  #3

Sorry 70-200mm f4. I've been typing so much today I'm almost stir crazy. Thanks.

Stephen Shell
Canon G12.

DDWD10
Goldmember
1,676 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 27, 2009 13:59 |  #4

Having owned the 50mm f/1.8, I would be wary of its AF performance in low-light, large aperture, wedding settings. If you use this lens, be prepared to take a lot of shots to help your hit rate.

30D | X-Pro1 | X10 | Q
EF-S 18-55mm IS | XF 35mm f/1.4 R | Q 5-15mm f/2.8-4.5

SUB1IM388
Cream of the Crop
8,553 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 27, 2009 13:59 as a reply to  @ 1shot4u's post |  #5

i think it depends on the lighting and what time the wedding is at he sun stays out pretty late your 50 will be your best bet in low light but if you want great IQ your 70-200 if you can use it

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 27, 2009 14:05 |  #6

You might be able to get away with the 70-200 using a tripod or monopod. Handheld would require a substantial amount of available light to eliminate camera shake with high enough shutter speeds. As was pointed out, f/1.8 will be your best bet.

For years I shot with an f/4 150mm (medium format) lens indoors at weddings, only using ASA 400. But I HAD to use a tripod with that to insure every shot at those low shutter speeds and ASA.

Is flash permitted during the ceremony/processional/​recessional? Try using the 50 with the 430 if the light is really bad. You have the option of bouncing, and also running the camera in Manual for maximum control. - Stu

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 27, 2009 14:15 |  #7

my 70-200/4IS was not ideal when i casually shot my friends wedding a month ago. i had some shots jacked up to 3200on my 40d. the church was very dark with high dark ceilings.

not having IS is going to make it even more difficult.

if you can bounce that flash around it will help.

Joe- 2 bodies, L 2.8 zoom trilogy and a couple of primes
iRocktheShot.com (external link) - Portfolio (external link)

Gear/Feedback
Facebook "Fan" Page (external link) -

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 27, 2009 14:25 |  #8
bannedPermanently

Might want to start thinking about renting a couple for friday xD

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,269 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined May 2008

Jul 27, 2009 15:06 |  #9

I shot casually at our niece's wedding a week ago, and I doubt your 70-200mm f/4 will be fast enough unless the church has a very bright interior. I used my 17-55mm f/2.8 and 85mm f/1.8 without flash at the church, and still needed to crank up the ISO to 800 in order to get usable shutter speeds.

If the reception is at night, forget any natural light shots. You will need a powerful flash if it's a large hall. I pushed the limits of my 430EX flash under such conditions at this wedding reception.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 27, 2009 16:15 |  #10

Absolutely agree with Scott - my evening reception and event shots routinely demand ISO 800 with bounced flash and my 580ex. With that setup you'll be using about 1/50 sec @ f/6.3 - camera on Manual, dragging the shutter - or thereabouts. But you'll get beautiful results.

Scott M wrote in post #8352234 (external link)
......If the reception is at night, forget any natural light shots. You will need a powerful flash if it's a large hall. I pushed the limits of my 430EX flash under such conditions at this wedding reception.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

sponsored links

1,405 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding lens question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.