Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 27 Jul 2009 (Monday) 14:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The little guy's first Karate tournament.

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 27, 2009 14:11 |  #1

My son participated in his first competition at a local tournament this past weekend. Considering he is not very coordinated, he held his own pretty good against the other 'blue belt', but in the next round, the 'brown belt' kicked him in the ear and it was all over. (Images shot with my Xti and 50/1.8 )
1.)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i602.photobucke​t.com …%2025%202009/IM​G_3075.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

2.)

http://i602.photobucke​t.com …%2025%202009/IM​G_3078.jpg (external link)

3.)

http://i602.photobucke​t.com …%2025%202009/IM​G_3083.jpg (external link)

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

sponsored links
cwood
369 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 27, 2009 18:53 |  #2

Ignoring the fact that these images are a little on the "soft" side - they fail to tell me the story I'm looking for.
A few questions I would LOVE to have answered on these photos
1. how does your little guy match up with his opponent. A picture from the side with both of them in focus would do wonders
2. What kind of "gear" does a kid (5yr old?) wear for a karate tournament. Those look a bit like MMA gloves? any wraps on feet/ankle?
3. What else is going on in the gym? How many spectators? How many events at one time? etc etc.

If the pictures told a more complete story the "softness" of the pictures would be more than forgivable in my opinion.

EDIT - I'm so sorry. I see you were not looking for critique - just posting some images. Thanks for sharing.

1DxII, 5D3, 6D
BLOG (external link)

Old ­ Coot
THREAD ­ STARTER
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 27, 2009 21:37 |  #3

cwood wrote in post #8353417 (external link)
Ignoring the fact that these images are a little on the "soft" side - they fail to tell me the story I'm looking for.
A few questions I would LOVE to have answered on these photos
1. how does your little guy match up with his opponent. A picture from the side with both of them in focus would do wonders
2. What kind of "gear" does a kid (5yr old?) wear for a karate tournament. Those look a bit like MMA gloves? any wraps on feet/ankle?
3. What else is going on in the gym? How many spectators? How many events at one time? etc etc.
If the pictures told a more complete story the "softness" of the pictures would be more than forgivable in my opinion.

The originals are pretty sharp- I resized them down to less than 100K so they would upload/download faster and the PhotoBucket resolution takes even more of the edge off.
Let's see....
1.) The kids are supposed to be matched up by age/belt ranking and size. There were not enough kids in his ability range/size, so he was up against bigger and more experienced kids.
2.) The gear is more padded than the MMA or XMA gear. They have the head piece, the padded gloves and "boots" that cover the top of the foot.
3.) At the time these were taken, there were 6 different fights going on. THe day started with "points fighting" (the event my son was in), then "semi-knock down" and later in the evening was full contact. At any given time, there was probably 150~200 spectators. For the full contact, the floor area was reconfigured with one large area for the fighting.
I used my Xti for the morning points fighting and later in the day, our teacher handed her 30d over to me and I used it for the rest of the day. I passed the pictures over to her and when she gets them uploaded to their website, I'll post a link to it.

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,441 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Jul 27, 2009 21:52 as a reply to  @ Old Coot's post |  #4

Hey there Old Coot!

Great to see some karate on POTN and it looks so different to what we do over here. I'm "retired" due to a persistent knee problem, but my daughter (age 12) is still heavily into it...

What style is that?

We do "Renshinkan" here in the south of Japan (錬心館).
:D

As to your shots, the only issue I can see is that your lens choice made it very difficult to get in close enough....but that's part of the fun, I think, of our system. When you decide to get a new lens, you'll know which one will make your son's future karate competition shots really stand out!
[70-200L 2.8 IS;)]

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

Old ­ Coot
THREAD ­ STARTER
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 27, 2009 22:25 as a reply to  @ skygod44's post |  #5

I knew going in that my 50 was not the 'best' choice, but my only other fast lens, the 85 1.8, was too close and I could not get much in the scene because there was not enough room to back up without stepping into another fight zone. My other lenses were just too slow for the poor lighting and no flash photography was allowed.
I doubt that I will be getting many more Karate pictures because I recently started taking classes with him and my first test is Saturday. I guess that I will be participating in the upcoming events instead of photographing them :( We belong to World Yoshukai Karate. I had never heard of it until my son started going last year.

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,441 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Jul 28, 2009 19:52 |  #6

Old Coot wrote in post #8354461 (external link)
I knew going in that my 50 was not the 'best' choice, but my only other fast lens, the 85 1.8, was too close and I could not get much in the scene because there was not enough room to back up without stepping into another fight zone. My other lenses were just too slow for the poor lighting and no flash photography was allowed.
I doubt that I will be getting many more Karate pictures because I recently started taking classes with him and my first test is Saturday. I guess that I will be participating in the upcoming events instead of photographing them :( We belong to World Yoshukai Karate. I had never heard of it until my son started going last year.

Thanks for the extra info'.

I just looked up Yoshukai karate on google and have to say, it looks like a lot more "fun" than what we practice here....
While I was still able to train, my sensei were soooooooo strict with posture, ki-ai timing, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc....
:confused:

Well, hope you enjoy karate, and I would highly recommend you look up some photos on the net, because varying picture-taking methods and ultimate aims will give you a much wider range of shots:- sometimes, it really works to get only a little action in the shot!

Good luck to you both!

Simon

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

sponsored links

1,832 views & 0 likes for this thread
The little guy's first Karate tournament.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.