Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 29 Jul 2009 (Wednesday) 10:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lighting question / Fashion shoot

Cheever
156 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 29, 2009 10:42 |  #1

Hi everyone....

I've been asked by a lady friend of mine to shoot fashion style shots for her. The theme will be VOGUE magazine style poses, classy work outfits, funky-casual outfits. I have scouted out a very nice mall in the Dallas Forth Worth area (Northpark) for some good background scenes. I plan on going very early to avoid the regular hour crowds. It will be pretty empty in there. There is plenty of lighting inside.

However, I am trying to figure out if the gear I have will be sufficient.

Currently I am shooting with a 5dMk2, 50mm 1.4, and 17-40L. I have a 430EXII with the Demb flip it flash bouncer card. I am thinking of purchasing the 580EX speed light to use on camera as a 2nd flash and trigger, while using the 430 on a light stand for off camera. Does anyone know if this setup will enhance the lighting? Should I acquire like a softbox to fire the off camera flash into?

Thanks for the help....

:D

Canon 5d mark2 | 35L 1.4 | 50L 1.2 | 85 1.8 | 100 2.8 macro | 70-200L 2.8 mark1 | ts-e 45 2.8

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,170 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 29, 2009 11:22 |  #2

I'd recommend a softbox for glamour style work. I'm a big fan of the westcott 28x28 for speedlights. The flash you are thinking of getting, is it a 580ex? I'm not familiar with a 530ex. On a related note, do you have permission to shoot at this mall? Those places are notorious about not allowing photos on their property.

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 29, 2009 12:03 |  #3
bannedPermanently

the 17-40L will do nicely =) And Gonz got a point with that mall. Those mall cops get pretty serious lol.

Cheever
THREAD ­ STARTER
156 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 29, 2009 12:47 |  #4

Hmmm I didnt thnk about that... I figure if I went at 7am, then they would be ok with it.... but I think u guys are right.

And oops, I am such a noobie...I meant the 580EX.

Also, at this mall, I've seen countless number of ppl shooting inside the mall with point and shoots. Maybe they treat DSLR's differently.

gonzogolf wrote in post #8363043 (external link)
I'd recommend a softbox for glamour style work. I'm a big fan of the westcott 28x28 for speedlights. The flash you are thinking of getting, is it a 580ex? I'm not familiar with a 530ex. On a related note, do you have permission to shoot at this mall? Those places are notorious about not allowing photos on their property.

Thanks for the tip...I'll look into that.

Canon 5d mark2 | 35L 1.4 | 50L 1.2 | 85 1.8 | 100 2.8 macro | 70-200L 2.8 mark1 | ts-e 45 2.8

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,170 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 29, 2009 13:38 |  #5

Cheever wrote in post #8363600 (external link)
Hmmm I didnt thnk about that... I figure if I went at 7am, then they would be ok with it.... but I think u guys are right.

And oops, I am such a noobie...I meant the 580EX.

Also, at this mall, I've seen countless number of ppl shooting inside the mall with point and shoots. Maybe they treat DSLR's differently.

Thanks for the tip...I'll look into that.

When I first started reading this forum there was a thread about shooting in public places. There were more horror stories about malls than any other sort of public place. I think at 7 a.m. you are less likely to be noticed, but I'm guessing they will either deny your request or place some hurdles in front of you.

jdouglas003
392 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 29, 2009 16:35 |  #6

Cheever wrote in post #8362793 (external link)
Hi everyone....

I've been asked by a lady friend of mine to shoot fashion style shots for her. The theme will be VOGUE magazine style poses, classy work outfits, funky-casual outfits. I have scouted out a very nice mall in the Dallas Forth Worth area (Northpark) for some good background scenes. I plan on going very early to avoid the regular hour crowds. It will be pretty empty in there. There is plenty of lighting inside.

However, I am trying to figure out if the gear I have will be sufficient.

Currently I am shooting with a 5dMk2, 50mm 1.4, and 17-40L. I have a 430EXII with the Demb flip it flash bouncer card. I am thinking of purchasing the 580EX speed light to use on camera as a 2nd flash and trigger, while using the 430 on a light stand for off camera. Does anyone know if this setup will enhance the lighting? Should I acquire like a softbox to fire the off camera flash into?

Thanks for the help....

:D

If you are in Dallas (Northpark) just go down to Uptown and shoot outside.

http://www.movingexpos​ure.com (external link)
Portrait, Event, Sports Phtography (external link)

SnlpeR
Goldmember
1,013 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 29, 2009 20:38 as a reply to  @ jdouglas003's post |  #7

security told me to pack my stuff up when i was shooting in a mall
i guess the umbrella was too much

hotel grounds are nice places too
we normally ask for permission to do so tho

sponsored links

1,149 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lighting question / Fashion shoot
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.