Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Jul 2009 (Tuesday) 23:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrading to 40/50D from 20D

JWitmer
275 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 28, 2009 23:51 |  #1

The question has crossed my mind multiple times.

Should I sell my beloved 20D for a 40/50D?

Eventually, I plan on adding a 5D (or 5DII) to my army, but I want a cropped sensor cam to accompany it. I don't necessarily want a backup/main camera duo, but something along the lines of "two tools that do their own thing amazingly". That being said, as much as I love my 20D, I find myself hating images with ISO >400, wanting a better and bigger LCD, sometimes wanting more FPS, and even wanting live view for macros. For the most part, I really like my 20D, but after playing around on some 40's and 50's, I really could see myself taking advantage of the upgrade for skating/moto shots, as well as my personal enjoyment of macros, and clean and noiseless indoor wedding and engagement shots that I do and plan on doing to back up my girlfriend.

If I go ahead with it, I'd more than likely sell my 20D for the purchase, so the cost won't be too bad. I might even wait until the 60D comes out so I can nab a 40/50D for an even better price. There's no rush really.
I'm asking even after researching multiple threads and experiencing the cameras personally. After everything, my mind is still wavering. It's really terrible becasue I'm typically pretty definite in what I want...
Heck, I'm even open to more options other than a 40/50D. I've considered 1D mark II's, 5D's (and purchasing the small sensor camera later), and even a T1I (although I find Rebels very uncomfortable). So any recommendation is greatly appreciated!

So I'm asking, "what would YOU do?"

Blogspot (external link)
Canon 7D, Canon 20D gripped, Tamron 17-35, Canon 50mm ƒ1.8 II, Canon 35-80 "macro", WTB Canon 70-200 ƒ4

sponsored links
yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 28, 2009 23:56 |  #2

I'd hang onto your 20D as a backup which I did after buying a 50D.. You won't get much for your 20D on the second hand market but in all fairness to the 20D it still delivers the goods and takes excellent images..

The good thing about having both the 20D and 40D/50D is that they all use the same accessories like batteries, grips etc..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 29, 2009 12:52 |  #3
bannedPermanently

Keep watching the Market! Two new bodies this summer (possibly) and prices are going to dropppp =) Uhh I'd hold on to your 20D xD

Oh how I tried to sell my little XTI I COULDN"T DO IT =( haha

I think you can grab a nice new 40D w/ a nice lense with it for not to much these days! When that 60D comes out HMMM might be ur best bet!

Strayz
691 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 29, 2009 13:03 |  #4

yeah with the 40D going for 650ish you can get them at a steal of a deal. Might wait 2 months though to see what is going to be out and the newest on the block causing prices to drop a bit more..

Back to learning after a 5ish year break from photography

sleibrand
635 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 29, 2009 14:06 |  #5

My Sig shows what I did but if you're not certain you need a new body then I'd advise you wait. The longer you put off the decision, the cheaper the current bodies will get.

It's possible that there'll be a new X0D body this Fall but I wouldn't bet on that - the 50D was announced less than a year ago and with the current economy I wouldn't be surprised if Canon extends product cycles to maximize ROI in the current bodies.

Canon Gear: 5D3, 6D, 7D, 20D, 16-35 II, 24-105, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 35L, 50 f1.4, 50 f1.8, 50 f2.5, 85 f1.8, 400 f5.6, 1.4x, 600EX (x2), ST-E3
Sigma 150 Macro, Tokina 10-17 Fish, Einsteins, ABR800

My Flickr Page (external link)

5artstudio
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 04, 2009 13:47 as a reply to  @ sleibrand's post |  #6

I agree with most of the above. Wait as long as possible for prices to decend though there is very little markup in these cameras, new models will drive present prices down a bit.
I have had the 10D, 20D,30D and now have the 40D as my second and the 5DM2 as my primary camera and there is a remarkable difference in color between the Digic 4 and previous processors. The 3" LCD screen with close to 1million pixels was a contributing factor in my choice of the 5DM2. I would recommend your principle camera to have the Digic 4 processor and the Digic 2 or 3 on my secondary if money allows, whether that is housed in the 5DM2 or just the 50D. 6 fps is also an attribute to seriously consider on the later D models.

On a different note boys and girls, I am amazed at the horrible way LR 2.2 handles RAW & JPG compared to DPP. Is LR 2.4 any better? And does the difference translate to print?
Steve

Steven A. Jones
5 Art Studio Photographyhttp://www.5artstudio.​com (external link)

sponsored links

1,251 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrading to 40/50D from 20D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.