Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Jul 2009 (Wednesday) 09:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1st post--Pentax user gets whacked upside the head by a Canon 40D

heatherwb
266 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 29, 2009 09:16 |  #1

Not literally, of course, but I am smitten, big time!

IMAGE: http://dgrin.com/images/smilies/iloveyou.gif

Monday, I went to a local camera store hoping that they've have some old Pentax-mount extension tubes among their used gear for sale. While they didn't, that led to a conversation with the salesguy about how frustrating it can be to find accessories for Pentax cameras. He just so happened to pull out a gently used 40D from behind the counter, attached an EFS18-200 to it, and let me play with it. I was absolutely blown away by the super quick AF and burst mode, as well as how quiet the AF was, even though the 18-200 isn't a USM lens. Of course, I didn't have the $600+ he wanted for it, but if I had had it, I would've been very tempted to walk out of the store with it, never mind that all my lenses are Pentax-compatible.
IMAGE: http://dgrin.com/images/smilies/lol3.gif

I've been shooting with Pentax for almost 2 years (in Oct.) and have been pretty happy with it, for the most part. Other than messing around a little bit with my dad's Canon XSi (since replaced by the T1i), I really hadn't played around with anything else in the DSLR world, so I really didn't have much to go by in comparing things like AF speed and such. Even with that, there have been times where I've become really frustrated with AF hunting and noise on my K20D in addition to the lack of accessories, either Pentax or 3rd party.

I will have to admit that up until yesterday, I've had fleeting thoughts about switching systems, but now I'm starting to give it even more serious consideration. Of course, the K7 has come out and it does address the AF speed issue, among other things. The simplest thing to do would be to upgrade to the K7, but that still doesn't address the lack of Pentax and compatible accesssories. I've also considered eventually picking up a FF body as a long-term goal and assuming that Pentax doesn't come out with a FF body, I would have to switch systems when that time came, anyway. As for my shooting habits, while I'm open to shooting all sorts of things, my passion is nature photography, including landscapes and macro. While I'm a hobbyist at this point, I'd love to go pro if the opportunity presented itself.

I did mention that my dad does have a T1i, so we could share lenses, as he has some very nice L-glass I'd love to play with.
IMAGE: http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/icon10.gif

As this is a major decision, I'll be taking my time and doing my homework as to what would work best for me in the way of gear. Forgive me for any seemingly stupid questions I might ask in the process. :)

Since I've about made up my mind that I'm going to switch, I'm expecting to start building my Canon system sometime around Christmas.

I know this is long, but what happened with me and that 40D on Monday was quite unexpected and a bit shocking. :eek:

I know this is kind of long, but thanks for reading!

Heather :)

S90 :D

My Smugmug (external link) ~~~ My Twitter (external link) ~~~ My Blog (external link)
Smugmug Discount Code:
fIo5Ekr2wGDR2

sponsored links
jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 29, 2009 09:28 |  #2

Welcome to PotN Heather!

I have a buddy that's using a K10D and on the fence about the K7 -vs- used/refurbed 5D as well. He's got all the same thoughts.....

Good luck!

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 29, 2009 09:30 as a reply to  @ jacobsen1's post |  #3

Welcome to the "other" forum Heather! Whatever you end up, both Canon and Pentax make fine gear AND have nice online communities :)

heatherwb
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 29, 2009 11:38 |  #4

egordon99 wrote in post #8362395 (external link)
Welcome to the "other" forum Heather! Whatever you end up, both Canon and Pentax make fine gear AND have nice online communities :)

Hey! I know you from PF. It's good to see you here, too. :)

BTW, Dad is so excited about the idea that he went as far as to suggest that I get back in touch with the camera store and see if they would take my Pentax gear for that 40D and 18-200. As tempting as it is, I don't want to rush into anything. Besides, I've got a nature photography workshop scheduled for October and I don't know if I want to go into it using gear that I don't even know that well. After then, we'll see how the finances are looking and go from there.

Just to give you an idea of what my husband (Mr. Point-n-Shoot) thinks about all of this--he's very supportive. He thinks switching would make a lot of sense. Just to give you a clue of about how much he knows about cameras, while we were in the camera store the other day, he said something to the effect of:
"If you switch to Canon, I guess that means you're going to have to get a new tripod, too." I had to educate him that no, it won't be necessary for me to get a new tripod (thank goodness!). :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am so excited about all of this that I had the hardest time getting to sleep last night. :D

My Smugmug (external link) ~~~ My Twitter (external link) ~~~ My Blog (external link)
Smugmug Discount Code:
fIo5Ekr2wGDR2

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 29, 2009 12:59 |  #5
bannedPermanently

"I did mention that my dad does have a T1i, so we could share lenses, as he has some very nice L-glass I'd love to play with."

Listen just let go of the Pentax it's going to be okay. This one time I held a Kodak point, and shoot until I saw this amazing small...little xti body sitting in the glass. It was like "You need me, and I need you." and I told that little xti that day that I didn't need you, and thennn I walked out the store with it.

=) MHM L glass gonna loveee it.

heatherwb
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 29, 2009 18:04 as a reply to  @ merp's post |  #6

You're not going to believe this!! :D

I just got off of the phone with my dad in Tennessee and he and Mom called down to the camera store I was at here in Florida on Monday and they bought that 40D for me!! I'm so excited!!

IMAGE: http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/icon10.gif
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)

Now I just need to get busy selling my Pentax gear so I can afford to buy some lenses for it!

WOO HOO!! :D:D

Heather

Smugmug Discount Code:
fIo5Ekr2wGDR2

Saint728
Goldmember
2,892 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 29, 2009 18:09 |  #7

Well done Heather. Sell that Pentax gear and get the lenses you want. Also welcome to the Canon forum.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III | 17-40mm f/4.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 300mm f/4.0L IS
Click Here To See My Gear
Click here to see my Flickr (external link)
http://www.runryder.co​m/helicopter/gallery/9​019/ (external link)

20DNewbie
"don't listen to me, I'm an idiot"
2,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 29, 2009 18:46 as a reply to  @ Saint728's post |  #8

Hey Heather, I see you found your way here also. This place is awash with great information and members that will go out of their way to be helpful if ever an issue arises.

BTW, congrats on the 40D.

Christian.

jdbroadwater
37 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 29, 2009 19:30 as a reply to  @ 20DNewbie's post |  #9

Welcome to a great forum with loads of information for your new acquisition. Congrats on the 40D. Really cool that your Dad has glass that you can get started with!:)

Gripped 7D - EF 50mm f/1.4 - EF 70-200 f4 L IS - EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 - EF-S 60mm f/2.8 -- EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - 580EXII - 1.4TC - and a lot of other crap I seldom use.

soliwit
545 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 29, 2009 19:38 |  #10

Dang good story reads like a novel ;) :lol:
Welcome !!!!

[Rebel XSI, kit lens, nifty two-fifty]
flickr (external link)

dkim3202
215 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 29, 2009 19:41 as a reply to  @ 20DNewbie's post |  #11

"The force is with you, young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet." -Darth Vader

Welcome aboard, srry for the Empire quote. I made the jump also about two months ago coming from a Sony Alpha A300. I'm sure your 40D will bring you much joy. My ex-roomie from school is also looking at it but he needs to sell all his Nikon stuff first.

Canon EOS 5DMkII, 50 f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX HSM, Manfrotto 190CXPro3 with 488RC2 Ball Head. Wife: Canon EOS 50D, EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS

heatherwb
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 29, 2009 21:23 |  #12

Thanks to everybody for the warm welcome! :)

I just got done posting most of my Pentax gear for sale in the Marketplace on Pentax Forums and I am tired! Keep your fingers crossed that it'll sell quickly.

Smugmug Discount Code:
fIo5Ekr2wGDR2

Calicajun
Goldmember
2,983 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 29, 2009 21:41 as a reply to  @ heatherwb's post |  #13

Welcome to the Canon side of life. You will enjoy that 40D for sure, it's what I shoot. Only mistake that you may have made is ""If you switch to Canon, I guess that means you're going to have to get a new tripod, too." I had to educate him that no, it won't be necessary for me to get a new tripod (thank goodness!). ", why would you tell him the truth. You can always use more than one Tripod.:lol:LOL

Again welcome to the world of Canon.

Remember, Stressed spelled backward is Desserts.:)
Suggestions welcome.
5DIII, EF 50 1.4, EF 40 f2.8, EF 24-105L IS , EF 70-200 f4L IS, 580EX ll

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 30, 2009 05:59 |  #14

heatherwb wrote in post #8366266 (external link)
Thanks to everybody for the warm welcome! :)

I just got done posting most of my Pentax gear for sale in the Marketplace on Pentax Forums and I am tired! Keep your fingers crossed that it'll sell quickly.

I sold off of all my Pentax Gear at PF.com pretty quickly. Welcome to the other side, I hope you find the grass greener! About the only thing I miss from Pentax is having a stabilized prime. Lens selection is great. autofocus is great, image quality is great....Now start buying those L lenses :)

stevenlhopkins
79 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 30, 2009 10:49 |  #15

Heatherwb
At least you had the opportunity to try the 40D in person and got the warm and fuzzy over it. :) Being overseas in the desert, I only could read all the reviews for canon, pentax, nikon and so on via the web and through other people. I was REALLY motivated into getting a pentax as my first dslr and then my friend bought a Nikon. I tried his Nikon d40 and thought that was a great camera at the time. So I almost bought that one. Because of my ignorance of dslr and mistaken product naming; I bought a canon 40D when I was suppose to buy a Nikon D40. You can see where this is going.

So I brought my CANON 40D over to my friend to show it off, he asked me why I chose Canon over Nikon. I told him I bought the same camera he got, a D40. Well after realizing I unintentionally bought the wrong gear, I decided to just keep it and use it. Well, I never looked back and realized my stupidity in not paying attention ultimately landed me a better camera. I love my 40D (not D40) and now a 5Dm2. I have been hooked on Canon every since and I think they make great equipment. :)

Gear: Canon EOS 7D Mark II, Speedlite 580ExII, EF 28-135mm IS lens, EF 70-200mm f4 (non IS), EF 24-70mm f2.8L

sponsored links

2,114 views & 0 likes for this thread
1st post--Pentax user gets whacked upside the head by a Canon 40D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.