Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 25 Feb 2006 (Saturday) 07:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another Arizona POTN get together (3)?

this thread is locked
Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 29, 2009 09:17 |  #1471

friscomgm wrote in post #8362123 (external link)
Guys if I can jump in super late here and ask if anyone here is also part of the AZ Strobists group on Flickr??

http://www.flickr.com/​groups/azstrobists/ (external link)

We are looking to get together for an impromptu meet tomorrow in Scottsdale to discuss future workshops, lighting techniques, etc!

I place photos in there... but... haven't really joined in on the conversations.... will have to check it out.

MAIN SITE (external link)
Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

sponsored links
Dean ­ Rachwitz
941 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 29, 2009 09:37 |  #1472

Thanks, all. Sorry for the whining! :oops: Kristy - I always appreciate your feedback. In spite of your inferior equipment, you take pretty good pictures. hehehehe :D JUST kidding. I very nearly bought Canon when I got back into photography last year.

Steve, thanks for that detailed feedback. In my thinking, the shoot-thru would offer a softer, more uniform light, whereas the bounce is harder. I originally bought just the bounce, but decided to try the shoot-thru also to see what it looked like and thought the results were good. Anyways I have both so I'll try the bounce next time.

I might be able to sharpen up his face a bit more...if I edit the RAW this time instead of the basic JPEG. :oops: Doh!

I struggled with the crop. In order to get more of his legs in, I'd obviously have to pull back, and that would decrease the size of his torso and face. But I agree it would better if I hadn't chopped his legs off. Just not sure how to achieve the results I was looking for.

Thanks for the offer of the ABs. Let me guess, I won't get addicted if I try it just one time? :lol:

I'll check out that article.

JmprSteve wrote in post #8361123 (external link)
Dean:
I agree with Hatch to use a bounce umbrella instead of a shoot thru in this situation. You have a little more control over where the light is hitting with a bounce. In the first picture the face is not as sharp as I would like it (the sponsors logo is sharp but the face looks a little oof). You might want to stop down a bit and up the power of the lights (or move them closer). The crop is a bit off for me, the weights are cut off and you cropped at the knee (usually you shouldn't crop at a joint - knee, elbow, etc). But that's to taste.
I've been traveling between East Mesa and West Phoenix - my dad had knee replacement surgery and I've been helping my mom at home.

If you do a re-shoot let me know, I can bring the ab800's and use the modeling light to help see what the light is going to do.

here's a link to an article by Don Giannatti about using Bounce and shoot through umbrellas: http://www.lighting-essentials.com …ce-umbrella-a-comparison/ (external link)

Dean
Nikon Invader
D300/grip|80-200 2.8|70-300VR|17-50 2.8|18-55VR|10-20|50 & 35 1.8|SB-800|2xSB600|
RacersPhoto.com (external link) | Flickr (external link) | facebook (external link)

BamPhoto
Goldmember
3,157 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 29, 2009 09:45 |  #1473

Wacom Intous 4 large = what a trip!! ......... "slight learning curve" = LOL, kind of like adobe Illustrator! haha This will be a hoot I can see now.

Randy
My Gear List and Feedback
Website (external link)

Dean ­ Rachwitz
941 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 29, 2009 10:09 |  #1474

friscomgm wrote in post #8362123 (external link)
Guys if I can jump in super late here and ask if anyone here is also part of the AZ Strobists group on Flickr??

http://www.flickr.com/​groups/azstrobists/ (external link)

We are looking to get together for an impromptu meet tomorrow in Scottsdale to discuss future workshops, lighting techniques, etc!

Didn't know about the group, but I'm a member now. :)

Dean
Nikon Invader
D300/grip|80-200 2.8|70-300VR|17-50 2.8|18-55VR|10-20|50 & 35 1.8|SB-800|2xSB600|
RacersPhoto.com (external link) | Flickr (external link) | facebook (external link)

JmprSteve
NUMERO 19159
722 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jul 29, 2009 12:42 |  #1475

Dean Rachwitz wrote in post #8362424 (external link)
Thanks for the offer of the ABs. Let me guess, I won't get addicted if I try it just one time? :lol:

I'll check out that article.

Not with the Alien Bees, but if you use the Elinchrom Ranger with the Deep Throat that Hatch has..... well then all bets are off!

The AB's are a good system, but the quality of light from the Ranger/Deep Throat is sweet!

jbrown7815
731 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 29, 2009 13:09 |  #1476

As far as using a flash at a wedding,what is everyones opinion on it? I would rather bounce an Alien Bee off the ceiling, than rely on high ISO shooting. I will be in a typical church. How often or not do yall use lights in a ceremony?

Thanks all!

~Jesse~

JmprSteve
NUMERO 19159
722 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jul 29, 2009 14:01 |  #1477

jbrown7815 wrote in post #8363737 (external link)
As far as using a flash at a wedding,what is everyones opinion on it? I would rather bounce an Alien Bee off the ceiling, than rely on high ISO shooting. I will be in a typical church. How often or not do yall use lights in a ceremony?

Thanks all!

Never shot a wedding so take this with a grain of salt.
Check with the church to make sure that you can use flash during the ceremony.
Personally, I'd use a speedlite on a bracket with some type of diffuser. This set-up will give you the ability to move around, if you have an assistant they could use a second speedlite to add fill. Setting up an AB will be limiting and you'll need to ensure that the equipment is not blocking anyones view of the ceremony and is out of the way (you don't want anyone tripping the light and getting hurt or trashing your equipment).
Whatever you decide to use, make sure you have a backup plan (and equipment) just in case.

Again that's my best guess.

jbrown7815
731 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 29, 2009 14:22 |  #1478

Thanks! I'm thinking similar things. I was hoping If flash is allowed, if maybe I could just setup up a B800 in a corner somewhere,and bounce it. I'm highly considering renting a 5dmk2, so need no flash for the ceremony.

Anyone want to rent me theirs?(seriously)

:D

~Jesse~

Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 29, 2009 17:55 |  #1479

Couple of shots from the competition the day before... the pool shots.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

jbrown7815
731 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 29, 2009 20:09 |  #1480

Oh my, now it all makes sense, she's a body builder.... Hence that pose in the water that I thought was weird that totally makes sense now.

~Jesse~

BamPhoto
Goldmember
3,157 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 29, 2009 20:46 |  #1481

Well after a few hours with the Wacom, I think I'm gonna like!!

Randy
My Gear List and Feedback
Website (external link)

Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 29, 2009 22:23 |  #1482

jbrown7815 wrote in post #8365849 (external link)
Oh my, now it all makes sense, she's a body builder.... Hence that pose in the water that I thought was weird that totally makes sense now.

No worries... just so you can see the difference... this is a bodybuilder...

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Figure is much... much smaller... ;)

Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 29, 2009 22:24 |  #1483

cntry wrote in post #8366066 (external link)
Well after a few hours with the Wacom, I think I'm gonna like!!

Sounds like fun! I wouldn't mind giving one a shot in the future... they give a level of control you just can't get with the mouse.

Glad you dig it.
Hatch

Dean ­ Rachwitz
941 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 29, 2009 23:25 as a reply to  @ Hatch1921's post |  #1484

Here's a couple more from the shoot.

Struggling with getting the white balance set consistently here. I feel like the lighting is...ok. I also darkened the backgrounds in these but not as much and didn't blur them as in the previous shot, per Kristy's suggestion.

Still learning. Any feedback welcome.

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2443/3771287178_d96f270818_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2598/3770424383_c20f440f1b_b.jpg

Dean
Nikon Invader

Dean ­ Rachwitz
941 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 29, 2009 23:40 |  #1485

jbdavies wrote in post #8359359 (external link)
Man you guys are boring. :lol:

Great shots Hatch! As always... :)

Well, I went up to Colorado this past weekend to visit my dad. Took a nice little drive through Rocky Mountain National Park. Pretty nice park. The weather was really funky while there. Some parts got SNOW!! SNOW IN JULY!!! :shock:

Anywho, here are two shots that I've gone through so far...

Some lake... can't remember the name. I'll have to look it up...
IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

And, random spot along the road. HDR the tweaked in PS. I'm... 50/50 on this one. Not sure yet... thoughts?
IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

So those are those... if I like the others, I'll post them. :)

Jeremy - love the first one. Very beautiful, love the reflection. The second one has potential, but I'd like to see a little more contrast. I like Hatch's B&W, but might even make it a little contrastier.

Dean
Nikon Invader

sponsored links

701,682 views & 0 likes for this thread
Another Arizona POTN get together (3)?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.