Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 23 Jul 2009 (Thursday) 22:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Selling Campsite Photos

Concretin ­ Nik
266 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 25, 2009 11:46 |  #16

Hogloff wrote in post #8341013 (external link)
Why would you be hung up on the copyright? What else would you do with these images other than delete them when you get home?

Not at all hung up on it. I also said...

I don't see the photos as being worth much otherwise.

I just don't believe they need to claim copyright either. I believe the copyright should always remain with the photog. Even with liberal license agreements.

Knowledge, Talent, Experience, Success. None of these excuse arrogance.

sponsored links
Alleh
484 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 27, 2009 11:51 |  #17

This isn't work for a photographer it's work for an anyone who owns a point and shoot camera. It's about the same as working at Berger King.

These jobs are listed all over for all sorts of different things.

Advertising Photographer Portland OR Alleh Lindquist (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Photography Business Blog (external link) | My Flickr (external link)

woodsters
Goldmember
1,894 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 27, 2009 18:43 |  #18

Basically $1 per image. Not bad to walk around a park and go snap. You could easily be looking at $50/hour doing it. Of course if the park only has 50 sites, then thats all your making. But if you are camping there already, why not? It will pay for your stay more than likely. I would do it if they were out east. I wouldn't quit my day job, but I wouldn't mind doing it on the side...

www.brianwoodphotograp​hy.com (external link)

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,307 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 27, 2009 21:10 |  #19

Alleh hit the nail on the head. It's not for a serious photographer. Get over it.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 27, 2009 23:08 |  #20

Exactly folks, this is silly. To make this work, you need to find a campground that's mostly empty. And then spend an hour taking pictures. Then spend time downloading, burning to a CD, and then mailing (which will cost you $2). And then maybe collect $25. It's pocket change and doesn't really fall in the domain of "The Business of Photography".

Bryan

My Gear List

Concretin ­ Nik
266 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 28, 2009 07:49 as a reply to  @ bps's post |  #21

I got their info:

No, the sites don't have to be empty, so YES, this is fine if you are already camping and want to take a leisurely stroll...

They have conflicting info on renaming files. The document says you are "required to" rename them, then two pages later it clearly says there is "no need to" rename the files.

So if I were campin' anyway or lived very nearby, it ain't difficult work, and I could pay for my site with a simple P&S while I walk the dog. Otherwise, not worth it to me.

woodsters
Goldmember
1,894 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 28, 2009 16:31 |  #22

or while you are camping, give your kid a point and shoot and let them make the money doing it. Will keep them busy...lmao

www.brianwoodphotograp​hy.com (external link)

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,307 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 28, 2009 17:02 |  #23

woodsters wrote in post #8358534 (external link)
or while you are camping, give your kid a point and shoot and let them make the money doing it. Will keep them busy...lmao

LOL! Best answer yet. :lol:

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

Concretin ­ Nik
266 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 28, 2009 18:01 as a reply to  @ woodsters's post |  #24

Indeed!! :D

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 28, 2009 18:47 |  #25

woodsters wrote in post #8358534 (external link)

There ya go! :lol:

Bryan

My Gear List

F4 ­ Cyborg
952 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 29, 2009 18:10 |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

OR! - I could do like I do when I go to State Park, Take my time get half a dozen or so nicely composed shots a day, for ever how many day's I'm there. When I return home I go through and edit them the way I like. Print the ones I want. Frame them or not to suit the print. So I might have $0.75 - $18ish in a print. Sell them at an art show $8 - $125.
On top of all that super hard work, all the expenses for the trip and printing are tax deductible. :D
Just another Idea for you if you want to make some pocket change from a trip to the local State Park.
Business is Business even if it is fun. ;-)a

Cyborg: part Man, part Machine (the machine gives a hoot!)

LW ­ Dail
703 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 29, 2009 18:37 as a reply to  @ F4 Cyborg's post |  #27

First, yes, it's crap money for work!

But I feel for the national and state parks. Their budgets are cut constantly, their staff is cut, and their services suffer. Then we **** cuz they're shutting down parks or limiting access.

So I'd do something like this to help the park. Not to make money, but to help the park.

A lot of parks have gone to online reservation services (like Reserve America). Sounds like they want to offer a picture of each site because, as a camper, I want to know if there's shade, room for a slide out, how close we are to the next site, etc. I can see having a picture of the actual campsite, kind of a nice idea.

So if you move past doing it for money and maybe take the time/effort as volunteer effort, you'll do better. You could even forego the fee and bill it as a charitable deduction at $250/image!

Canon 5D: 24-105mm L IS, 100-400mm L IS. Canon PowerShot ELPH 340HS, Canon GII. Canon AE-1: FD 50mm, 80-200mm. Holga 120N.
"Photography is my one recreation, and I think it should be done well." Lewis Carroll

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 29, 2009 19:06 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

Sure..but why volunteer and do charity work when you shouldnt have to ? Being empathetic is great but being too nice just gets you screwed over and taken advantage of.

Id rather be paid than popular, personally. A buck an image for all copyrights included..yeah screw that.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

F4 ­ Cyborg
952 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 29, 2009 19:15 |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

charitable deduction,s work for credited org's and require paper work for each deduction

Cyborg: part Man, part Machine (the machine gives a hoot!)

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 29, 2009 19:41 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

At least with charities you can claim back tax, too...

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

sponsored links

3,422 views & 0 likes for this thread
Selling Campsite Photos
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.