Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 29 Jul 2009 (Wednesday) 09:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe Camera Raw opening images

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 29, 2009 13:39 |  #16

Shooting wrote in post #8363772 (external link)
I looked and the autocorrection was not checked so I went ahead and saved them all as a new default to 0.

Looks like you missed this part:

tonylong wrote in post #8362910 (external link)
By default, ACR sets Brightness to 50, Contrast to 25, and Blacks to 5 (in the Basic tab).

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links
tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,491 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 29, 2009 15:51 |  #17

Shooting wrote in post #8363772 (external link)
If the camera viewer is showing the jpeg that is in the raw then why not shoot jpeg and get exactly what you see?

First, why do you assume that the jpg is "exactly what you see"?
Second, some folks strive to produce a faithful record of what they saw, others try to join emotional content to their visual experience, and a third group sees manipulation of the image as a part of the creative process as much as lens choice and composition. Different strokes...

Elie / אלי

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 30, 2009 06:00 as a reply to  @ tzalman's post |  #18

I compare what I see writing to the card to what I see on my monitor and they are about 95% of what I seen writing to the card so that is about as close as I can get (when I shoot jpeg)..raw is something entirely different..what I see on the monitor is no where near what is written to the card.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 30, 2009 06:01 |  #19

René Damkot wrote in post #8363934 (external link)
Looks like you missed this part:

Sorry..I did miss it..thanks....

Why would they have defaults on raw that are not 0 letting you make all the decisions.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 30, 2009 06:36 |  #20

Shooting wrote in post #8367859 (external link)
Why would they have defaults on raw that are not 0 letting you make all the decisions.

Adobe "Logic" I presume ;)

Don't worry, it's just arbitrary numbers...

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,491 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 30, 2009 07:59 |  #21

Shooting wrote in post #8367856 (external link)
I compare what I see writing to the card to what I see on my monitor and they are about 95% of what I seen writing to the card so that is about as close as I can get (when I shoot jpeg)..raw is something entirely different..what I see on the monitor is no where near what is written to the card.

Because on the lcd you see Canon processing and on the monitor you see Adobe processing. Neither processing is right or wrong, they just are. It's a matter of taste, judgement and objectives which one you prefer. But if you want to see the same thing on the camera's lcd and the monitor, use DPP.

Elie / אלי

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 30, 2009 08:21 |  #22

Also, your camera display is not color managed, and hopelessly inaccurate as well. What brightness do you have it set for instance? Are you looking at it in daylight or inside a dimly lit room?

The only use for the built in display is to judge composition and histogram IMO, certainly not critical white balance and / or exposure ;)

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 30, 2009 11:21 |  #23

tzalman wrote in post #8368171 (external link)
Because on the lcd you see Canon processing and on the monitor you see Adobe processing. Neither processing is right or wrong, they just are. It's a matter of taste, judgement and objectives which one you prefer. But if you want to see the same thing on the camera's lcd and the monitor, use DPP.

I thought about that but that means working on the raw file in DPP and saving it to jpeg for further processing in Adobe for special effects, filters, etc and that further degrades the image.....that is why I try to do everything in one program..

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 30, 2009 11:38 |  #24

Do anything that can be done in Raw in DPP, convert to a 16bpc tiff file, and all will be well....

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 30, 2009 12:39 |  #25

René Damkot wrote in post #8369287 (external link)
Do anything that can be done in Raw in DPP, convert to a 16bpc tiff file, and all will be well....

Sounds good except that means opening in one program..then opening up another program working on the same file for something else that needs to be done to the same image..I wish I could do everything in one program and work on one image at a time for everything and then close it for good.

I'd work on an image once instead of 2 or 3 times in different programs. :(

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 30, 2009 12:47 |  #26

Shooting wrote in post #8369635 (external link)
Sounds good except that means opening in one program..then opening up another program working on the same file for something else that needs to be done to the same image..I wish I could do everything in one program and work on one image at a time for everything and then close it for good.

I'd work on an image once instead of 2 or 3 times in different programs. :(

Well CS/ACR are your simplest option, and just getting to live with what you may not prefer. Honestly, many, many people are happy with that workflow (although I myself am a Lightroom user).

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 30, 2009 13:07 |  #27

tonylong wrote in post #8369687 (external link)
Well CS/ACR are your simplest option, and just getting to live with what you may not prefer. Honestly, many, many people are happy with that workflow (although I myself am a Lightroom user).

Yeah, sadly I'm seeing that. I just tried DPP and forget that...you don't have all the features to work on a raw file like Photoshop does. Canon better catch up.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 30, 2009 13:11 |  #28

Shooting wrote in post #8369811 (external link)
Yeah, sadly I'm seeing that. I just tried DPP and forget that...you don't have all the features to work on a raw file like Photoshop does. Canon better catch up.

Heh, well Canon has "caught up" quite a bit over the past couple of years, especially for free software:). But Adobe has major mojo, not just the original Camera Raw team, but they acquired the Capture One software and some of their brains back, what, a couple of years or so ago, so they are pretty heavy hitters and I think Canon and even Aperture are scurrying to catch up and try to keep up with ACR and Lightroom.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 30, 2009 13:27 |  #29

tonylong wrote in post #8369833 (external link)
Heh, well Canon has "caught up" quite a bit over the past couple of years, especially for free software:). But Adobe has major mojo, not just the original Camera Raw team, but they acquired the Capture One software and some of their brains back, what, a couple of years or so ago, so they are pretty heavy hitters and I think Canon and even Aperture are scurrying to catch up and try to keep up with ACR and Lightroom.

I don't know if they will catch up or not. I tried Lightroom, just isn't my cup of tea...

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 30, 2009 13:35 |  #30

Shooting wrote in post #8369934 (external link)
I don't know if they will catch up or not. I tried Lightroom, just isn't my cup of tea...

Try it with a touch of cream:)...

Tony

sponsored links

2,993 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe Camera Raw opening images
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.