Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 29 Jul 2009 (Wednesday) 09:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe Camera Raw opening images

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 30, 2009 14:36 |  #31

Shooting wrote in post #8369811 (external link)
Yeah, sadly I'm seeing that. I just tried DPP and forget that...you don't have all the features to work on a raw file like Photoshop does. Canon better catch up.

Off course not, it's a raw converter, not a pixel editor :rolleyes:

What's missing in DPP then in your opinion?

I know three things:

Straightening while cropping,
Selective color manipulation
Local adjustments.

That's when comparing to ACR 5

When comparing to ACR 4.6, two remain.
When comparing to ACR 3.7, one remain, but DPP wins on color accuracy....

Only the selective color manipulation is a big one.
Then again, you can sort of work around that.
The local adjustments are quite simply done in PS. (and more precise then in LR)

DPP get's a lot of undeserved flak by people who don't know how to use it IMO...

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links
Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 30, 2009 19:39 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #32

You would think that as big as Canon is and how good their Cameras are they would come out with a program that rivals Photoshop as a pixel editor..I love the fact I can open a raw file (or jpeg) in the raw editor and there are all the sliders and selections at my fingertips..I don't have to go into DPP, then into Photoshop to finish my work..I can virtually do it all in one program...If I want to convert to jpeg or tiff, photoshop does all that too.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 30, 2009 20:27 |  #33

Shooting wrote in post #8372006 (external link)
You would think that as big as Canon is and how good their Cameras are they would come out with a program that rivals Photoshop as a pixel editor..I love the fact I can open a raw file (or jpeg) in the raw editor and there are all the sliders and selections at my fingertips..I don't have to go into DPP, then into Photoshop to finish my work..I can virtually do it all in one program...If I want to convert to jpeg or tiff, photoshop does all that too.

Sure, but Photoshop began its life quite a few years ago (did I read 25?) as a graphics application before people were using digital cameras and shooting Raw. It didn't add in a Raw "plugin" until quite a while later, and the early versions of Camera Raw were nothing compared to what we have today -- they were only designed to mimic the most basic adjustments then get a full-size image into the editor.

For Canon to rival Photoshop as an image editor is just not feasible. Even if, let's say, they took over the Gimp (:)) it would be a huge task to blend everything together to compete with Photoshop's integration.

But, Canon has worked hard to make DPP good at what it does, which is almost everything one needs exceopt the occasional trip to a photo editor. There are a few things Lightroom has on board (and ACR) -- horizon leveling being a big one, followed by color channel manipulation and most recently local editing. If DPP had these features I figure the number of DPP users who go to Photoshop would dramatically decrease.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 30, 2009 22:00 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #34

Why would DPP have a brightness slider but nothing to recover some highlights like a Recovery slider like photoshop has. I guess for what it does, Photoshop is so far ahead that Canon may not even try to catch up. I like having one program that does it all. I know some photographers that use 3 programs..I don't see how they have the time to do anything else besides using 3 programs for each image...I like the "one does it all" better.

Now if Canon would fix their ETTL II stuff that would be tops.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,491 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 31, 2009 02:00 |  #35

Canon is not in the software business. They are not in competition with Adobe. They are in competition with Nikon where you have to pay extra for the converter, so including DPP in the price of the camera is a clever marketing ploy. I have heard that DPP is outsourced (while RIT which is an incantation of the Digic firmware is "bottled" in-house) and of course its cost is part is of their cost vs. price calculations. Distributing a bigger program would just push the camera's price up and would do nothing to improve their market position. For the Rebels, whose largest consumer sector seems to be soccor moms, low cost is essential and for the other lines getting a free program is much less a consideration at purchase time. DPP is the minimum needed to obtain that slight advantage and no more. Which is not to deny that thousands use it and obtain great benefit from it.

Elie / אלי

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 31, 2009 11:41 as a reply to  @ tzalman's post |  #36

Possible true, but DPP cannot do what you need..the tools are very limited..if you want total control on editing an image and doing special effects, layers, masks, DPP will not do that..it is very basic..you do all you can in DPP then you have to go to another program to finish...I guess it is good for your basic stuff but how many photographers out there use DPP and then that is it and they do nothing else. I prefer to use one program for everything instead of 2 or 3 to get the same end result.

It just amounts to what you want to do and what you want your end result to be, that's all. Different strokes for different folks.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 31, 2009 12:15 |  #37

Shooting wrote in post #8375734 (external link)
Possible true, but DPP cannot do what you need..the tools are very limited..if you want total control on editing an image and doing special effects, layers, masks, DPP will not do that..it is very basic..you do all you can in DPP then you have to go to another program to finish...I guess it is good for your basic stuff but how many photographers out there use DPP and then that is it and they do nothing else. I prefer to use one program for everything instead of 2 or 3 to get the same end result.

It just amounts to what you want to do and what you want your end result to be, that's all. Different strokes for different folks.

So, you have unrealistic expectations of DPP! DPP is what it is: a free program provided to Canon users that will process and convert their Raw files (and can also process other image files), and that has most of the capabilities that higher-end Raw processors have.

If you want software that fully integrates a high-end Raw processor with a high-end photo editor, well, you can shell out another $600 for CS4 and have it all, but you can't expect Canon to compete with its free software.

Don't worry, be happy:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 31, 2009 18:17 |  #38

tonylong wrote in post #8375912 (external link)
So, you have unrealistic expectations of DPP! DPP is what it is: a free program provided to Canon users that will process and convert their Raw files (and can also process other image files), and that has most of the capabilities that higher-end Raw processors have.

If you want software that fully integrates a high-end Raw processor with a high-end photo editor, well, you can shell out another $600 for CS4 and have it all, but you can't expect Canon to compete with its free software.

Don't worry, be happy:)!

That is true..I have CS3 AND CS4...CS4 will not work on my system, I don't have enough RAM..things are syrupy slow, creeping so I'm back with CS3..much faster. I wanted to only install Photoshop AND Bridge..that is all I wanted but CS4 installed much more, even under custom it wasn't a true custom, installed more stuff than I need or want..(sigh)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 01, 2009 08:04 |  #39

Shooting wrote in post #8372940 (external link)
Why would DPP have a brightness slider but nothing to recover some highlights like a Recovery slider like photoshop has.

It does....
Like I said:

René Damkot wrote in post #8370349 (external link)
DPP get's a lot of undeserved flak by people who don't know how to use it IMO...

Shooting wrote in post #8375734 (external link)
Possible true, but DPP cannot do what you need..the tools are very limited..if you want total control on editing an image and doing special effects, layers, masks, DPP will not do that..

Neither will Lightroom. Again:

René Damkot wrote in post #8370349 (external link)
Off course not, it's a raw converter, not a pixel editor

Shooting wrote in post #8377753 (external link)
CS4 will not work on my system, I don't have enough RAM..things are syrupy slow, creeping so I'm back with CS3..much faster.

Hmm. weird. PSCS4 is both faster & more stable then PSCS3 on any (Mac) system I tried...

Shooting wrote in post #8377753 (external link)
I wanted to only install Photoshop AND Bridge..that is all I wanted but CS4 installed much more, even under custom it wasn't a true custom, installed more stuff than I need or want..(sigh)

Weird. Like what?

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 01, 2009 10:06 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #40

Not on my Windows machine..I also installed it on a laptop with 4 meg of ram and it was not much better..

On the custom install, it would not let me uncheck the Adobe Media Player and all the stuff under it..too many to list..at least 6 or 7 things it installed that I didn't want. Most of that stuff is for the 3D stuff which I'll never use..I suspect that is what bogged it down.

sponsored links

2,985 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe Camera Raw opening images
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.