Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 31 Jul 2009 (Friday) 15:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone wash their canon strap?

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 01, 2009 03:03 as a reply to  @ post 8376998 |  #16
bannedPermanently

I do =)

sponsored links
zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 01, 2009 05:25 |  #17

stince wrote in post #8376998 (external link)
My 40D strap is filthy, anyone wash theirs?

what???!!!

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

James ­ P
Goldmember
1,909 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 01, 2009 07:12 as a reply to  @ post 8376998 |  #18

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was to trash the Canon strap in favour of a softer, padded strap. I'll never use Canon's sharp, neck cutting straps again.

1Dx - 5DIII - 40D - Canon 24-70LII, 100L macro, 135L, 16-35L, 70-200 f4 and 100-400L lenses

- "Very good" is the enemy of "great." Sometimes we confuse the two.

SnlpeR
Goldmember
1,013 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 01, 2009 07:26 |  #19

ill ask my gf how she washes her 36C strap

:lol:

heatherwb
266 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 01, 2009 07:45 as a reply to  @ post 8376998 |  #20

There's only been one time where I've feel the overwhelming need to wash a camera strap. I simply put some water into the kitchen sink, added Woolite, and washed, rinsed, and hung it up to dry and it worked just fine.

For those of you who question the wisdom of washing camera straps, in some places in the world (like Florida where I live) where it's really hot and humid during the summer, it doesn't take much to start pouring buckets of sweat once you go outside for any length of time.

On the choice of strap, though, you might want to take a look at the OpTech straps, which are what I use. They aren't too pricy (ca. $20.00) and the neoprene is quite comfortable. :) Here's a link to the strap that I'm currently using:
http://optechusa.com …UCT_SUB_ID=&CAT​EGORY_ID=4 (external link)

Besides being uncomfortable, the strap that comes with the camera more or less says "STEAL ME" with the logo emblazened all over it; that also goes for camera bags with the logo on them, as well. I avoid both. :)

HTH,
Heather :)

S90 :D

My Smugmug (external link) ~~~ My Twitter (external link) ~~~ My Blog (external link)
Smugmug Discount Code:
fIo5Ekr2wGDR2

F4 ­ Cyborg
952 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 01, 2009 10:46 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

James P wrote in post #8379991 (external link)
One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was to trash the Canon strap in favour of a softer, padded strap. I'll never use Canon's sharp, neck cutting straps again.

+++++++++++++++1 x pie.

Cyborg: part Man, part Machine (the machine gives a hoot!)

defordphoto
MKIII Aficionado
9,888 posts
Joined Oct 2002

Aug 01, 2009 10:56 |  #22

F4 Cyborg wrote in post #8380647 (external link)
+++++++++++++++1 x pie.

Apple or cherry?

Me thinks you meant: Pi

;)

defordphoto | Celebrating the art of photography®
SD500, 10D, 20D, 30D, 5D, 1DMKII, 1DMKIII
www.ussbaracing.com (external link) | www.rfmsports.com (external link) | www.nwfjcc.com (external link)
An austere and pleasant poetry of the real. Ansel Adams

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
41,107 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 01, 2009 10:58 |  #23

jr_senator wrote in post #8379281 (external link)
In over 50 years of photography, and numberless straps, I have never washed one.

Same here!

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 01, 2009 11:00 |  #24

I keep looking at the two on my 1D bodies and really think they need it, just too lazy to take 'em off and put 'em back on.

when they start standing up by themselves then maybe I'll get up the ambition to throw 'em in the washer

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 01, 2009 11:03 |  #25

heatherwb wrote in post #8380072 (external link)
There's only been one time where I've feel the overwhelming need to wash a camera strap. I simply put some water into the kitchen sink, added Woolite, and washed, rinsed, and hung it up to dry and it worked just fine.

For those of you who question the wisdom of washing camera straps, in some places in the world (like Florida where I live) where it's really hot and humid during the summer, it doesn't take much to start pouring buckets of sweat once you go outside for any length of time.

On the choice of strap, though, you might want to take a look at the OpTech straps, which are what I use. They aren't too pricy (ca. $20.00) and the neoprene is quite comfortable. :) Here's a link to the strap that I'm currently using:
http://optechusa.com …UCT_SUB_ID=&CAT​EGORY_ID=4 (external link)

Besides being uncomfortable, the strap that comes with the camera more or less says "STEAL ME" with the logo emblazened all over it; that also goes for camera bags with the logo on them, as well. I avoid both. :)

HTH,
Heather :)

I dunno, maybe I'm just cheap but I've never felt the need to spend more money on something that comes free in the box with the camera. And quite honestly I don't find the Canon straps to be uncomfortable (I shoot with 2 1D series bodies so I'm carrying a fair amount of weight around.)

As for advertising "STEAL ME": one of my bodies is usually attached to a 500 f/4 and the other to a 70-200 f/2.8, I think those big white lenses and 1D bodies say it much louder than a camera strap.

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
41,107 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 01, 2009 11:54 as a reply to  @ post 8376998 |  #26

There's a lot of common sense there Dennis.

Nick ­ Pro
Goldmember
1,084 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 01, 2009 12:15 |  #27

DennisW1 wrote in post #8380733 (external link)
I dunno, maybe I'm just cheap but I've never felt the need to spend more money on something that comes free in the box with the camera. And quite honestly I don't find the Canon straps to be uncomfortable (I shoot with 2 1D series bodies so I'm carrying a fair amount of weight around.)

As for advertising "STEAL ME": one of my bodies is usually attached to a 500 f/4 and the other to a 70-200 f/2.8, I think those big white lenses and 1D bodies say it much louder than a camera strap.

Same here. I always have my camera around my shoulder, so I feel no pain. I actually like the Canon strap very much.

Mark ­ II
Goldmember
2,153 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 01, 2009 12:30 |  #28

DennisW1 wrote in post #8380733 (external link)

That's the best cup of STFU I have ever seen served on here! LOL

Go ahead and wash it. If the red edges turn pink on ya, that's all the more reason to keep it or buy a new one .... depending on your manhood.:lol:

1DX7D - 40D IR converted Sony RX100,
Canon 85 L II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 24-105L, 16-35mm f/2.8 II L, 100L & 60mm Macro , Fisheye EF 15mm f2.8, Tokina 10-17

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
41,107 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 01, 2009 12:34 as a reply to  @ post 8376998 |  #29

What's STFU? (I'm not sure that I understand the rest of the post either).

mcluckie
I play with fire, run with scissors and skate on thin ice all at once!
2,065 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 01, 2009 12:35 as a reply to  @ post 8376998 |  #30

Anybody USE a Canon strap?

multidisciplinary visual guy | traveler on the 8-fold path | seeker of the spark | walker of the dog
all dingus | dslr canon 5D4, 70-200LII zeiss distagon 15, 21, 25, 28, 50ƒ1.4 milvus; vario-sonnar N 24-85; makro planar 50, 100 mirrorless leica Q2 fujifilm XT-2, 16, 56; zeiss distagon 12, planar 32 film canon 1n hasselblad 501cm, 50, 80

sponsored links

13,899 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone wash their canon strap?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.