Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
Thread started 31 Jul 2009 (Friday) 04:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

I say 5D MK II with no video and more affordable

S2000
515 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 01, 2009 16:17 |  #106

The more I experiment with 5DMKII video, the more uses I find for it. It a great tool to have access to when shooting. Video DSLRs are here to stay. Accept it, learn to use it, and enjoy the added freedom and output. The manual control makes it's...jm2c.

Canon, if you're listening...upgrade the AF points a tad. It's not bad and does the job, but I know you have better....;)

Shawn's Photo Journal - Updated 09.09.10 (external link)

BBOwen
50 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 01, 2009 20:36 |  #107

Doesn't every camera have features you don't use? That would be a resounding yes.
Having video doesn't make it any less professional or more expensive. If they make the 5D MkII with more features or less features it just becomes another camera.

Like it or not the 5D with video was a marketing tool and a brilliant one. It was aimed at guys like me who want a professional grade camera and a great video camera without having to buy two separate cameras. They can barely make them fast enough.

If you want one for a cheaper price buy a used one that was babied. That is what I did and it still has 10 months of warranty left. Then just act like it doesn't have video and you will be happy.

I vote for no more threads crying about video on the 5D MkII. It's like crying about the rain. Mods should delete them every time they pop up.

Gear list and Feedback

Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 01, 2009 20:47 |  #108

BBOwen wrote in post #8382845 (external link)
Doesn't every camera have features you don't use? That would be a resounding yes.
Having video doesn't make it any less professional or more expensive. If they make the 5D MkII with more features or less features it just becomes another camera.

Like it or not the 5D with video was a marketing tool and a brilliant one. It was aimed at guys like me who want a professional grade camera and a great video camera without having to buy two separate cameras. They can barely make them fast enough.

If you want one for a cheaper price buy a used one that was babied. That is what I did and it still has 10 months of warranty left. Then just act like it doesn't have video and you will be happy.

I vote for no more threads crying about video on the 5D MkII. It's like crying about the rain. Mods should delete them every time they pop up.

I don't think it is crying it has video as much as it lacks some of the Nikon features in that same pricing bracket, AF being the key feature.

5D III, 24-105mm f/4 L, 135mm f/2 L, 70-200mm f/4 IS L, 580EX II
Full Gear List
Flickr Photostream (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 01, 2009 20:55 |  #109

Saxi wrote in post #8382892 (external link)
I don't think it is crying it has video as much as it lacks some of the Nikon features in that same pricing bracket, AF being the key feature.

Everyone pretty much agrees that we wish that the 5D2 had an upgraded AF, it's just that making video the scapegoat is barking up the wrong tree.

Video takes nothing away from the 5D2 -- if it didn't have video it would still be the same still camera.

Video adds somthing to the 5D2, for the significant number of people we see posting here who find value to it.

Video has no impact on users who don't want to use it. Don't enable it and it won't come out and bite you!

So, really, two different discussions: a 5Dx "wish list", which would certainly include an upgraded AF, and

"Let's trash the video because it's useless to me personally", which just won't fly very far because, well, there's nothing to it.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 01, 2009 22:01 |  #110

tonylong wrote in post #8382928 (external link)
Everyone pretty much agrees that we wish that the 5D2 had an upgraded AF, it's just that making video the scapegoat is barking up the wrong tree.

Video takes nothing away from the 5D2 -- if it didn't have video it would still be the same still camera.

Video adds somthing to the 5D2, for the significant number of people we see posting here who find value to it.

Video has no impact on users who don't want to use it. Don't enable it and it won't come out and bite you!

So, really, two different discussions: a 5Dx "wish list", which would certainly include an upgraded AF, and

"Let's trash the video because it's useless to me personally", which just won't fly very far because, well, there's nothing to it.

I think it is cool to have video, I have a HV30 and would prefer that than the manual focus nature of the 5D II but if I had a 5D II I am sure I would use video from time to time when I am not carrying my HV30. I have been trying to get more and more practice with still photography so I take my HV30 with me very little.

5D III, 24-105mm f/4 L, 135mm f/2 L, 70-200mm f/4 IS L, 580EX II
Full Gear List
Flickr Photostream (external link)

Lazuka
Cream of the Crop
5,639 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 01, 2009 22:20 |  #111
bannedPermanent ban

The video is intriguing to me, just for personal projects, dont' see what the big fuss about dropping it is.

I suck at Photoshop.

HMetal
616 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 01, 2009 22:40 |  #112

TeeTee wrote in post #8381617 (external link)
If people actually realized that the video function on cameras is simply a software implemented byp-roduct of Live View then they would stop making the ridiculous assumption that it 'increased the cost' of the 5Dmk2. Customer input, like all else, must be qualifiable and reasonable. And I'll post where I choose, if you don't like my statement don't quote it.

Pot, kettle, ass.

I didn't say it increased the price. I simply said the feature is useless to me. Your turn. :)

Ray A. Akey

Ray Akey Photography (external link) | My Flickr (external link) | My Blog (external link)

dan ­ j
Goldmember
1,575 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 01, 2009 22:51 |  #113

canonnoob wrote in post #8375297 (external link)
^^^id hate to say this but i find it funny that all of the 5dmkII guys are defending it...

but anywho....if you want video buy a good video camera that will auto focus...

Cool, will you provide someone to carry it around for me too? :)

I love having video on the 5D2. I have an HD camcorder, which is better in most ways, but I don't usually have it with me. With the 5D2 I don't have to juggle.

Oh, and who better to defend HD video than folks that have used it??

dan

5D Mark 2/24-70L/100-400L

dan ­ j
Goldmember
1,575 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 01, 2009 23:01 |  #114

twofruitz wrote in post #8379951 (external link)
I can say with all certainty that I would not own a 5dmkII if it didn't have the ability to do video.

I am a still photographer too; but want the option.

Me too. I would still have my 50D. And, when the 1D4 comes out with HD video I'll start saving my penny's again so I can shoot underwater ( ;) ).

dan

Ferrari_Alex
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 03, 2009 01:59 |  #115

Ok, let it be with video (I do not need it), but a better Autofocus please!

Alex || www.dylikowski.com (external link)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 03, 2009 09:30 |  #116

Video is almost effortless to add to any camera which already has Live View. For someone who photographs landscapes and regularly, using manual focus and/or tilt-shift lenses, Live View is too good to pass up for a cheaper body.

I'd like to see a more expensive 5D2 with pro autofocus and full weather sealing, with the 5D2 form factor. Maybe even double CF cards, or 1 CF and 1 SD, like the new Nikon D300s. Maybe call it the 3D series, halfway betwen the 1DsIII and 5D2.

Ferrari_Alex
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 03, 2009 09:53 |  #117

I know that it is never enough, but it looks like 5D MK 3 could be almost the same camera as MK 2, but with superb AF and many people, also me, would be jumping for joy!

Flagada2009
43 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 03, 2009 10:13 |  #118

Wasn't the 5D just as expensive when it first came out?

Ferrari_Alex
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 03, 2009 10:24 |  #119

People say that it was more expensive

dan ­ j
Goldmember
1,575 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 03, 2009 10:35 |  #120

Ferrari_Alex wrote in post #8390278 (external link)
I know that it is never enough, but it looks like 5D MK 3 could be almost the same camera as MK 2, but with superb AF and many people, also me, would be jumping for joy!

And if it had _____ folks would buy it in droves.

And if it had _____ folks would buy it in a heartbeat.

And if it had _____ folks would buy it without a second thought.

And if it had _____ folks would buy it just to buy it.

Yup, if it had this or that it be even better. Canon chooses to put a lesser AF on the 5D2. It sucks, but they also choose not to incorporate lots of other more advanced features. It's the same everywhere though. Cars, TV's, toys, appliances, office chairs, gym equipment, and so on. If you need disk brakes on your bike you can either complain about them not being on the model you want and see if that does you any good. Or, you can buy the model that has them.

dan <----------- wishes for all the features of the 1Ds4 on his 5D2 for the half the current price

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

14,147 views & 0 likes for this thread, 75 members have posted to it.
I say 5D MK II with no video and more affordable
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.