Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 02 Aug 2009 (Sunday) 21:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I'm tired of fake digital photos!

Transfer
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 02, 2009 21:45 |  #1

It seems like everyone loves a super edited digital photo these days. What's the deal? If it's not stiched, HDR, or otherwise seriously altered in photoshop it seems like it's not a good photo in today's standards. I'm just so tired of people going gaga over super-enhanced photos!! Thumbs down to the phonies. Am I just behind the times? Is super-processing what makes the best photos?

EOS 40D | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8
My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 02, 2009 21:48 |  #2

Did it bug you this much when Ansel Adams spent 4 hours in a dark room dodging and burning?

This space for rent.

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,595 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2005

Aug 02, 2009 21:50 |  #3

You realize that many of todays processes in photoshop, HDRs, panos have been around and used since the 1800s? This isnt new stuff thats come along with digital.

Sevas Tra

bric-a-brac
520 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 02, 2009 21:50 |  #4

mattograph wrote in post #8387903 (external link)
Did it bug you this much when Ansel Adams spent 4 hours in a dark room dodging and burning?

or worked with pre-digital HDR? "expose for the shadows, develop for the highlights..." :p

also, you want to see some un-real "real" stuff as rendered by film, check out the colors on a no longer produced slide film by fuji called fortia. WOW. I would've loved to have tried some of that.

a photograph is never really the truth, but rather a visual expression of the photographer's interpretation of it.

"a photograph isn't about what something looks like, but what it's like to look."
50D|35L|other stuff

Transfer
THREAD ­ STARTER
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 02, 2009 21:53 |  #5

What? my dear Ansel? *faints*

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 02, 2009 21:55 |  #6

Someone get this man a glass of water!

This space for rent.

LBaldwin
Goldmember
4,490 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 02, 2009 22:06 |  #7

There is a difference in the manipulation of a scenic image and an editorial or news shot.

Yes Ansel did heavily dodge, burn and use chemistry to alter the image. But retouching is not something relied on as today's "photographers" do. WE alter eyes, remove unwanted items. drastically altering the "truth" of an image.... But Ansel was not a news photographer either. I have met more than a few of his students and a few of his darkroom technicians as well. Most hate PS with a passion. It does not require any real skill according to them.

Les Baldwin
http://www.fotosfx.com (external link)

Jon ­ Foster
is it safe?
4,519 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 02, 2009 22:07 |  #8

I don't know, I've seen some super edited stuff that is just killer. I guess if you can do it right, then why not? And by right I mean top quality work.

Jon.

I shoot with a Little Canon

Check out my photos @ PBase.com (external link) & ModelMayhem.com (external link)

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 02, 2009 22:09 |  #9

If Annie Leibowitz knew about photoshop, think of all the money she could have saved in renting that elephant. she would LOVE to have those bucks back.

This space for rent.

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 02, 2009 22:13 as a reply to  @ Jon Foster's post |  #10

Hypocrisy raises it's head anew...those B&W's on your flicker account...did they come from the camera like that?

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 02, 2009 22:14 |  #11

If there is some kind of Univeral rulebook that describes the amount of "editing" that can be done in PS and still be able to call it a "real" photo, please forward me the link.

Otherwise...yes...you are behind the times.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 02, 2009 22:15 |  #12

No...the lighting actually looked like that. I swear...:lol:;)

chauncey wrote in post #8388003 (external link)
Hypocrisy raises it's head anew...those B&W's on your flicker account...did they come from the camera like that?

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,595 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2005

Aug 02, 2009 22:16 |  #13

nicksan wrote in post #8388008 (external link)
If there is some kind of Univeral rulebook that describes the amount of "editing" that can be done in PS and still be able to call it a "real" photo, please forward me the link.

Otherwise...yes...you are behind the times.

Send that link to me too.  :p

Sevas Tra

KnowImagination
159 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 02, 2009 22:30 |  #14

I sort of see where you are coming from, but at the same time it is up to you how much processing you want to do. If you don't like the style of the "over edited" photos you have been seeing I encourage you to shoot with as little edits as possible.

Honestly I try and edit as little as possible in most situations, but there are some times when I have to do a bit of processing to get the look I am going for.

Canon Rebel XSi w/ kit lens, 55-250mm EF IS, 50 1.8, and 430ex
Know Imagination - my blog (external link)

Transfer
THREAD ­ STARTER
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 02, 2009 22:32 |  #15

chauncey wrote in post #8388003 (external link)

Oh please. Thanks for calling me a hypocrite for my 15 seconds of DPP post processing.

sponsored links

8,524 views & 0 likes for this thread
I'm tired of fake digital photos!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.