Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 10 Aug 2007 (Friday) 15:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

B&H to Canada... is there a duty tax?

DanteCaspian
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 24, 2009 14:45 as a reply to  @ post 8337222 |  #31

It should not matter where it is sent, your RST exemption should be based on who/what business purchased. You must give your number to the vendor for them to record for there purposes and do the exemption. That is why I have it on all documentation when ordering... if the courier or other middle men involved miss that, it is easier to resolve. Better yet, get and use your own account with a courier, then much of that is automated when you use your account number.

sponsored links
HYBEagle
301 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 24, 2009 15:02 |  #32

You must give your number to the vendor for them to record for there purposes and do the exemption.

Dante, I assume you are talking about Tax exemption number for business owner ? You see, I am not a business owner, I am the final user for the lens I purchase. I think in my case, is that whoever was doing my paper work, made two mistakes:
1. They charged Duty on my lens.
2. They didn't apply PST.

I will just keep my mouth shut. ;)

20D | 17-40 f/4 | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 IS | 200 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

DanteCaspian
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 24, 2009 17:40 |  #33

Oops, sorry mate!

wytwolf
156 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 24, 2009 18:00 |  #34

I got charged HST (live in atlantic Canada) so I would get screwed either way ;). I hope it doesn't take to long to get fixed, lady on the phone said 3-4 weeks turn around time.

Gear: Canon 50D, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Speedlite 430EX
2011 15" MBP, Aperture 3

wytwolf
156 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 24, 2009 18:02 |  #35

HYBEagle wrote in post #8337359 (external link)
Dante, I assume you are talking about Tax exemption number for business owner ? You see, I am not a business owner, I am the final user for the lens I purchase. I think in my case, is that whoever was doing my paper work, made two mistakes:
1. They charged Duty on my lens.
2. They didn't apply PST.

I will just keep my mouth shut. ;)

I'd take getting charged duty over HST any day. :D

2011 15" MBP, Aperture 3

PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 03, 2009 03:48 |  #36

HYBEagle wrote in post #8327325 (external link)
Hey yeah, Bought a 400mm 5.6 from BH, have to pay 2% for Duty, the Duty Class No. is 9002119090,

According to their document:
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca …f-tarif/2002/chap90ne.pd​f (external link)

Class 9002.11.90.90 is Objective Lens for Others..........2%

But I believe it should really be 9002.11.10. Objective Lens for Photographic Camera ......... FREE DUTY

so I called UPS and the person told me it's made in Japan and Canada doesn't have free trade policy with Japan some sort. I am gonna call up CBSA or visit them in person when I have free time.

Yes, the correct code for photographic lenses is 9002.11.10. This sort of mis-classification happens all the time. You should be able to get your money back. How you do it depends on which courier you used.

I'd like to refer you to this article for details:

http://www.photoprice.​ca …efund-duty-canada-customs (external link)

Good luck!

wytwolf
156 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 13, 2009 15:53 |  #37

Well I received my cheque for the duty today. I was refunded all the duty plus the taxes resulting from the duty. It ended up being a $45 refund. :)

2011 15" MBP, Aperture 3

cspratt
345 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Aug 13, 2009 16:07 |  #38

Hermeto wrote in post #3706929 (external link)
B&H + UPS Expedited + PST&GST = 10-30% less than the same item purchased in Canada.

Make sure you ask for Expedited if asking for stuff to be sent by UPS. Canada Post (USPS) for small items may let you escape the GST and PST (if applicable)and their $5.00 handling charge (read storage). Not for lenses though. I usually save up for a couple of items as the additional shipping charges for additional items in one box are minor. Spreading purchases over several deliveries, so to speak can be really pricey though.

You might have to negotiate if you want stuff sent by USPS.

Chris. Spratt
Victoria, BC
In the game of life, Mother Nature bats last. Happy ninth inning.

sponsored links

11,733 views & 0 likes for this thread
B&H to Canada... is there a duty tax?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.