Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Aug 2009 (Sunday) 03:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Filter lesson learned

Luvntravln
328 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 03, 2009 05:44 as a reply to  @ post 8389324 |  #16

Why stick any glass in front of your lens unless you are in a specific situation where the lens is going to get salty or dusty/dirty. Under normal general conditions don/t use a UV!

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

sponsored links
merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 03, 2009 06:48 |  #17
bannedPermanently

I honestly had no idea either, until I read a threat a couple days ago on this. Definitely going to do some more research now.

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 03, 2009 06:56 |  #18

Bottom line: don't be cheap with filter, either don't use it or buy the good or top lines (B+W).

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

philodelphi
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined May 2008

Aug 03, 2009 07:27 |  #19

I never use UV filters when shooting, been screwed too many times. Instead, I use a hood to protect the lens.

Sony DSC-RX100M2 α7R III / ILCE-7RM3 Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 IV | Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar | Venus Optics Laowa 15mm f/4 Macro | Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA FE 24mm f/1.4 GM | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Tokina Firin 20mm f/2 FE MF | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 Di III RXD

Markitos
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 03, 2009 07:38 |  #20

Just to buck some of the parrot, rote responses, I use high quality multi-coated filters on all of my lenses except my 135 (has flare/contrast issues with a filter), and have yet to have a client complain about my photos because of the use of filters or lack of sharpness.

Why do I use filters?

• Better Resale--Front element is protected, so I'm cleaning a cheap(er) replaceable part rather than the front element.
  • Weather sealing--Most weather-sealed Ls are not sealed without a filter on the end (I shoot in dust/rain fairly regularly)

Do I think it's really necessary to have a filter? No. But I did want to offer another perspective from someone who has some experience (and success) using filters regularly.

|Fuji X-E2|Fuji X-E1|Fuji 18 f/2|Fuji 35 f/1.4|Fuji 60 f/2.4 macro|Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4|Fuji 55-200 f/3.5-4.8

http://www.newschoolof​photography.com/forum/ (external link)Where I Hone My Skillz (external link)
Where My "Serious" Stuff Is (external link)

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 03, 2009 08:13 |  #21

MDJAK wrote in post #8384837 (external link)
There's another lesson here.

Besides Grad ND filters for special effects, Polarizer filters, don't use filters at all. Even expensive ones will degrade IQ.

me

NOT TRUE. If you buy the best, any IQ degradation, if there even is any, is indistinguishable. But the price of such protection is high. But worth it if you ask me.
Its just a shame the new pricing policy HOYA has implemented... the days of discounts are over.

Alan "NuReality" Fronshtein
Gear List | PBase |  (external link)flickr (external link)
Lots of Fun, Lots of Laughs, Happy Trigger Finger!

wytwolf
156 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 03, 2009 08:22 |  #22

neil_r wrote in post #8384845 (external link)
Why would you spend big $ on any lens and then stick a small $ filter in front of it ???

I know, it's like buying a Ferarri and replacing the engine with a Toyota Yaris engine. Personally I use a Lens hood only and the only filters I would ever use is a ND or CPL filter. Even then I would only buy B&W or Hoya's top end.

Gear: Canon 50D, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Speedlite 430EX
2011 15" MBP, Aperture 3

Markitos
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 03, 2009 08:31 |  #23

wytwolf wrote in post #8389804 (external link)
I know, it's like buying a Ferarri and replacing the engine with a Toyota Yaris engine.

Yeah, it's EXACTLY like that.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Care to back up your analogy with some examples?

|Fuji X-E2|Fuji X-E1|Fuji 18 f/2|Fuji 35 f/1.4|Fuji 60 f/2.4 macro|Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4|Fuji 55-200 f/3.5-4.8

http://www.newschoolof​photography.com/forum/ (external link)Where I Hone My Skillz (external link)

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 03, 2009 08:43 as a reply to  @ Markitos's post |  #24

these:

MDJAK wrote in post #8384837 (external link)
There's another lesson here.

Besides Grad ND filters for special effects, Polarizer filters, don't use filters at all. Even expensive ones will degrade IQ.

me

Luvntravln wrote in post #8389334 (external link)
Why stick any glass in front of your lens unless you are in a specific situation where the lens is going to get salty or dusty/dirty. Under normal general conditions don/t use a UV!

philodelphi wrote in post #8389621 (external link)
I never use UV filters when shooting, been screwed too many times. Instead, I use a hood to protect the lens.

I do have some UV filters which I use when salt spray or sand demands it. But I prefer hoods whenever possible. I do use GNDs, CPs and NDs a lot though, but those are just to get effects I can't (or choose not to) in PS. The protection from dropping issue has never been proven. I'd bet hoods do just as well and the thought of having shattered glass in front of my good front element scares the crap out of me. Further, I just avoid dropping my gear but have it insured just in case.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 03, 2009 11:55 |  #25

Markitos wrote in post #8389654 (external link)
Why do I use filters?
  • Weather sealing--Most weather-sealed Ls are not sealed without a filter on the end (I shoot in dust/rain fairly regularly)

But your 5D isn't weather sealed?

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Markitos
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 03, 2009 14:58 |  #26

hollis_f wrote in post #8390892 (external link)
[/LIST]But your 5D isn't weather sealed?

I never claimed it was... but, in the spirit of adding a filter to complete a lens's weather sealing, wouldn't it be prudent to add something to protect the camera body as well? The idea is to try to weather seal things more, rather than cross one's fingers and hope for the best.

Sorry, but your logic is flawed.

sponsored links

2,312 views & 0 likes for this thread
Filter lesson learned
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.