Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 31 Jul 2009 (Friday) 10:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can anyone recommend an external harddrive for under 100?

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 31, 2009 10:45 |  #1

I get reimbursed up to a hundred dollars from work for electronics (I'm on the yearbook committee at my school), and this weekend is free of sales tax in Georgia (woohoo) on any computer gear (and school clothes and supplies for any of you who live in or near the state).

Anyway, I need an external harddrive that is USB so I can simply run from one computer to the next.

I want the most Gigs (or possibly terabytes) for the money. I don't need it to fit in a shirt pocket. Big is fine.

I'll be literally storing thousands of photos of students and will need to bring it back and forth from work for editing.

Thanks

Thank you. bw!

sponsored links
basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 31, 2009 11:10 |  #2

WD mybook 1tb can be had for 99 bucks, though your local store probably will charge you 120.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

k_wakasugi
943 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 31, 2009 11:13 |  #3

I just got an e-mail from Circuit city about a 1TB for $80. it's an iomega. Can't vouch for it's reliability, but it may be something to look into. If you PM me your e-mail address I can forward it to you.

I've had my simpletech drive for about 2 years now without any problems, I'm pretty sure that was about $100-110 for 1TB.

Hoping others with more experience chime in...

FS: 85 1.8 w/hood - $300!!!
1D Mark II - This is my Canon. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
Gear List

MikeFairbanks
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 31, 2009 18:06 |  #4

I thought Circuit City went out of business.

I went by one of their last days sales, and they really were stripped down. But they had a brand new Canon G10 for $350. I couldn't convince my wife it was a good deal.

Now I'm glad I got a Rebel instead.

Thank you. bw!

k_wakasugi
943 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 31, 2009 18:31 |  #5

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #8377697 (external link)

I went by one of their last days sales, and they really were stripped down. But they had a brand new Canon G10 for $350. I couldn't convince my wife it was a good deal.

Looks like they're still selling stuff online...

FS: 85 1.8 w/hood - $300!!!
1D Mark II - This is my Canon. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
Gear List

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 31, 2009 18:49 |  #6

The old company went under but another company bought the name and is selling online. Haven't heard much from them though. I personally suggest B&H, they usually have the best pre-rebate prices around.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

EagleRock
391 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 31, 2009 19:34 |  #7

newegg will have good prices on those. Get WD :)

BeritOlam
Goldmember
1,675 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 02, 2009 04:11 |  #8

The best deals on hard drives can usually be found at Dealnews (external link). If there's a good deal to be found online, they seem to always have it.

Gear List

Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt. – Herbert Hoover

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 02, 2009 16:19 |  #9

I recently discovered the Thermaltake BlacX SATA HD docking station. One of my WD MyBook POC's starting acting erratic after being unplugged for a while. (I have triple redunancy on my system so I wasn't in danger of losing any data.)

I thought about tearing out the SATA HD and installing it in a USB external enclosure but while searching for a deal I found the TT BlacX. The BlacX works like a card reader... You simply insert the business end of a SATA HD (3.5" or 2.5") and it's Plug-n-Play! It's hot swappable and requires NO software or drivers. You connect it to the computer by either USB or eSATA.

The USB/eSATA version costs $40 USD from Amazon. (external link)

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,344 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 02, 2009 16:27 |  #10

They are Systemax - they buy popular web names that gave gone under. They are also CompUSA, TigerDirect and www.misco.co.uk (external link). They sell stuff that is on the way out or was purchased in bulk. They are basically a big clearing house and offer extremely good prices for that reason. We have a local CompUSA storefront and I buy there all the time. No complaints, good service IMO.

Canon 7D & 60D With Grip's
Canon: EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS, EF 70-200L F4 IS, EF 85mm F1.8
HOYA PRO1 MC UV Review | Lens Glossary of Terms
Feedback

Kent ­ Clark
359 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 03, 2009 12:11 |  #11

ChasP, do you just take out the drive and store it as is? Anti static bag? Padded antistatic? I've thought about using one of these devices but wonder about safest storage of the unattached bare drive.

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 03, 2009 13:24 |  #12

Kent Clark wrote in post #8390976 (external link)
ChasP, do you just take out the drive and store it as is? Anti static bag? Padded antistatic? I've thought about using one of these devices but wonder about safest storage of the unattached bare drive.

I've got a garage full of old PC parts and packaging, including several anti-static bags... but no, I just toss it in the cabinet above my desk! I guess I should worry about static and/or dust-- but I don't! An anti-static bag is a good idea though.

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,400 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 03, 2009 22:27 |  #13

Best Buy has the WD My Book 1 TB for $109.99

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

PhilK
35 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 04, 2009 10:52 |  #14

Simpletech External drives are pretty cheap and you can pick them up at any costco

Gnhntn
447 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 05, 2009 13:55 |  #15

Tiger Direct has the Western Digitaland a Fantom for $100, right now, and also a Hammer for $90. WD is usually a good brand, can't tell you anything about the other two. If you are able to stretch it to $120 you can throw in Seagate, and a few others.

I used to use the Iomga Zip Drive and it was always dependable and gave no problems. I still have it but it sits in the closet now, the tapes are just to small to do anything with anymore (250 Megs down'st hold to much now days).

I can vouch for Seagate being dependable, I have a 160 GB from them that I have been using for a few years now (getting to be time to start looking for a larger one), with no problems.

"Why is it that children know how to forgive and forget...But adults forget how to forgive?"

sponsored links

1,246 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can anyone recommend an external harddrive for under 100?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.