Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Aug 2009 (Wednesday) 10:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I need help choosing a WA

The_Machingbird
228 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 05, 2009 10:10 |  #1

Alright, so I know the debate when looking at a good WA lens.

Canon 10-22mm
Sigma 10-20mm
Tokina 11-16mm
Tamron 10-24mm

What I want to get out of the lens is a good quality image, no excessive vignetting (which I heard can be a problem with the Sigma lens), no excessive color problems (which I've heard a couple times being a problems with the Canon lens), fast glass (duh, wider aperture), and a quality piece that isn't going to (for lack of a better term) rape my wallet.

I've almost completely ruled out the Tokina lens already just because of those other 4-8mm that it lacks. Though it's not the most important thing in the world, I would at least like to have the option to get something around 20mm.

And it would appear that the fast glass would be the Canon and Tamron both at F/3.5 over the Sigma which is a close second at F/4.

So as it stands in my head it goes like this:

Tamron > Canon > Sigma > Tokina

I put the Tamron on top of the Canon because for one, it is significantly cheaper, plus it gives me the added bonus of an additional 2mm that the Canon lens would not.

My biggest fear with the Tamron lens is that it will have a significantly noticable quality difference than the Canon/Sigma/Tokina lens. And I realize it is still a fairly new product, so I haven't found any trust-worthy reviews as of yet.

Opinions anybody? I know this is a quite popular debate between these lenses...but I just want to know what all of the pros vs cons are so that I can put my numbers together to see which lens has the best chance to make me happy with quality, price and whatnot and what lens is a sure-fire no-go in the photography world.

Any and all opinions are appreciated.

Canon 5DMii | 24-105 f/4L | Glidecam HD4000 Pro | DSLR Dolly | Manfrotto 190xdb
Sarcasm | Filmmaking | Coffee

sponsored links
CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 05, 2009 10:22 |  #2

I would rank them the opposite you did.

I have never experienced any vignetting with my Sigma. Not once and looking at the sample thread I don't see evidence of that in there either.

If fast is your goal then get the Tokina. If you are doing mostly out door landscapes and don't need the speed, get the Sigma since the Canon costs around $750 and the Sigma can be had for $500.

Joe- 2 bodies, L 2.8 zoom trilogy and a couple of primes
iRocktheShot.com (external link) - Portfolio (external link)

Gear/Feedback
Facebook "Fan" Page (external link) -

The_Machingbird
THREAD ­ STARTER
228 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 05, 2009 10:38 |  #3

Thanks for your feedback! Do you have any thoughts in regards to the Tamron 10-24? The marketed speed and focal length is both very appealing, and the price is too. I can pick one up at the local camera store for the same $500 that I could as if I was picking up a Sigma. But am I losing quality with the Tamron? Two of my three lenses already are Tamron, and though they work as advertised, I can notice a difference in picture quality between the Tamron and Canon lenses. And if I'm going to be spending this much money, I most certainly want a product that it satisfying.

LightRules
"flat out embarrassing"
9,909 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 05, 2009 10:45 as a reply to  @ The_Machingbird's post |  #4

The 10-24 hasn't really caught on with most UWA lovers. You can see DPR's review (Noink mount) here http://www.dpreview.co​m …tamron_10-24_3p5-5p6_n15/ (external link)
The Tamron looks to be a solid lens though. It certainly seems much better than its older 11-18 sibling. The range is nice, the build good, and the optics probably won't disappoint.

That said, the Canon Tokina Sigma UWAs are proven winners. IMO Tokina has emerged as the UWA king for APS-C with its robust 11-16 f2.8 and 12-24 f4 models. Their optics and build quality are second to none. Too bad you've ruled them out.

The Sigma is extremely popular and for good reason; it offers more bang for buck than the Canon, although I'd rate the Canon a little better over all.

All good choices. Can't really go wrong here in this class.

nhbeast
215 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 05, 2009 12:02 as a reply to  @ LightRules's post |  #5

I recently picked up the Tammy 10-24 with my new 50D, and have been pretty happy with it thus far. Took it on vacation to VA beach and Busch Gardens, and it performed well for me. A couple of examples below.

Busch Gardens

At the beach

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

-Gregg
===============
7D /50D/Canon 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 2.8L /300mm f/4/ Kenko 1.4x extender/ Tamron 17-50 2.8 Gallery (external link)

dekil_3b
81 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 05, 2009 12:19 |  #6

10-22 canon for me. I used it a for a few months and loved it. sold it because i move up to 5D mk2 and the replacement lens for that is my new 16-35 mk2 =) sold my 10-22 with no loss at all after months of usage. I am concern that buying 3rd party lens will depreciate more..

www.deddyphotography.c​om (external link)
Canon EOS 5D MK II Gripped
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM | Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8 L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon Speedlite 580EX II

USMCWayne
394 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 05, 2009 12:21 |  #7

Based on your criteria, you may want to add the Tokina 12-24 f4 to your list.

7D Mark II & BG-E16 grip, G3X, G16, Leica C-Lux, GoPro Hero 4 Silver
Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Canon 17-55 f2.8, Kenko 1.4 Pro 300 DG, Canon 50 f1.8
Manfrotto 3231 monopod & 3229 head, Dolica Proline tripod, Manfrotto compact monopod MMC3-01, K&F Concept KF-TM2424

g0bl0k
552 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 05, 2009 12:32 as a reply to  @ USMCWayne's post |  #8

+1 for canon 10-22
been very happy with it since day one. i was debating between tokina and canon but finally went with canon due to flare problem from tokina. it's just my personal preference. ;)

My Junk

fayenatic
55 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 05, 2009 12:33 as a reply to  @ USMCWayne's post |  #9

sigma also has a new 10-20mm with constant 3.5

XTI | G10 | 30 1.4 | 24-105L | 85 1.8 | 430ex II

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 05, 2009 12:50 |  #10

nhbeast wrote in post #8404160 (external link)
I recently picked up the Tammy 10-24 with my new 50D, and have been pretty happy with it thus far. Took it on vacation to VA beach and Busch Gardens, and it performed well for me. A couple of examples below.

Busch Gardens

At the beach

Ouch, the colors and sharpness of these shots leaves MUCH to be desired. The Tamron sucks if I had to decide based on these shots. Go bring back your lemon.

Alan "NuReality" Fronshtein
Gear List | PBase |  (external link)flickr (external link)
Lots of Fun, Lots of Laughs, Happy Trigger Finger!

rambusanna
304 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 05, 2009 13:00 as a reply to  @ nureality's post |  #11

I was in the same boat as you a couple of days ago. I just bought the Tok 11-16. From the extensive research that I did, I came to the conclusion that the Tok is the best. Its IQ and sharpness is unmatchable. The build quality is awesome. The high 2.8 aperture is amazing and sets it apart from the others. Sure, your giving up a little focal length on the narrow end, but I am not buying it for the 17-22mm. I can use the 17-55 2.8 for that, which I plan to get soon. Tokina is a designer lens company now.

 Macbook Pro l T6 l Tokina 11-16 2.8 l 50 1.8 II l 70-200 4L l Helios 44-3 58mm f/2 l Lowepro Primus l
My Zenfolio Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 05, 2009 13:07 |  #12

Your list is incomplete, and some of your conclusions aren't really based on reality.

First off, "And it would appear that the fast glass would be the Canon and Tamron both at F/3.5 over the Sigma which is a close second at F/4." is inaccurate. Neither lens has a constant max aperature... the Canon is a f/3.5-4.5 and the Sigma is f/4-5.6. Be aware that Sigma has since released a new version of this lens that is a constant f/3.5... the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 DC EX HSM (considering this HSM addition comes now it may be faster than the USM in the EF-S 10-22mm USM). When a lens lists its f-stops as a "range" such as "f/3.5-4.5" it means that f/3.5 applies to the lens when its at its widest focal length and the maximum aperature slows down to the number on the other end of the "-" by the time it reaches its longest focal length. Only lenses that have a constant maximum aperature can be thought of in terms of their speed for comparison directly for this reason... because you would need to know exactly at what FL the breakpoints of the max f-stop occur for each lens being compared to be able to do so.

You should consider the Tokina 12-24 f/4 Pro in your decision making. Its range of 12-24 mates with any 24-XXmm lens without a gap, its colors are great, the sharpness is excellent, its built like a tank (just as all Tokina's are... they're made to survive nuclear fallout I believe :) ) and the its a fast lens for a great price... $399.

If what you're looking for is most range, get the Tamron 10-24, but at the cost of IQ... the samples above show some CA, lack of sharpness, and horrid colors.
If what you're looking for is the best compromise of range and speed, get the Tokina 12-24mm f/4. Its a great lens, and the price is very nice @ $399.
If you want the fastest lens, and in fact the best lens, get the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, its also the sharpest, and has the nicest color rendition. and the price isn't so bad either @ $599. The best does not cost the most. If you feel the limited range is a problem consider that you REALLY should made this with a 17-50 or 17-55 IS lens on a crop for the best 2-lens combo available for the APS-C sensor families.
If you want the most overpriced, overhyped, under featured lens, get the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 @ $725.

LightRules
"flat out embarrassing"
9,909 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 05, 2009 13:13 |  #13

nureality wrote in post #8404631 (external link)
Be aware that Sigma has since released a new version of this lens that is a constant f/3.5... the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 DC EX HSM (considering this HSM addition comes now it may be faster than the USM in the EF-S 10-22mm USM)

FTR, the older 10-20 Sigma had HSM already. And either way, HSM will still be slightly inferior in speed to the 10-22 EFS' USM.

If you want the most overpriced, overhyped, under featured lens, get the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 @ $725

Now why don't you tell us how you really feel about the 10-22? :lol:

The_Machingbird
THREAD ­ STARTER
228 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 05, 2009 13:46 |  #14

fayenatic wrote in post #8404360 (external link)
sigma also has a new 10-20mm with constant 3.5

Do you have a link? I was on BHP earlier and didn't see it with the other UWAs.

Ideally what I'm looking for is a lens with a nice variance in range, while keeping a decent aperture so that I can use it both for specific car photography as well as landscapes and such. Now factoring in the Tokina 12-24 (because I totally spaced this in my first post), what would you all consider being the best purchase? My limit here is $800, but I'd like to be able to get a quality lens and a decent speedlight both with this amount.

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 05, 2009 13:48 |  #15

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …&Go.x=15&Go.y=6​&Go=submit (external link)

^^^^ Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 DC EX HSM

sponsored links

2,444 views & 0 likes for this thread
I need help choosing a WA
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.