Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 07 Aug 2009 (Friday) 20:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Skateboard Shots

Mothafizzy
292 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 07, 2009 20:01 |  #1

Hello, I'm pretty new to this Forum thread, i've done some Buy/Sell Transactions, but nothing beyond that. Thought i would try out this to get some critique on Composition, Editing, Colors, Lighting, etc, whatever i can to build off. Any feedback would be appreciated. :)

These are some skate shots from our last Miami trip.

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2431/3798975401_dda2b4f538_b.jpg

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
JeffCanon
805 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 07, 2009 21:14 |  #2

i like them, but #1 needs to be straighten, also with #1 dealing with the vanishing point on the left i do not like the street light, would have cropped it out

where you in town for the red bull show?

Critiques Welcomed
New jeffjarboe.comexternal link Old PBaseexternal linkaka Jeff Canes or JeffCanon
Canon 7D, EOS1, A1, IV Sb, Fuji X-Pro1, Epson R-D1s

jbergdoll
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 07, 2009 21:48 as a reply to  @ JeffCanon's post |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

#2 needs to be color corrected, and the comp is suffering a lot. I would've avoided framing him right in those really busy trees.

-Joseph
bergdollphoto.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
gear list

Mothafizzy
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 07, 2009 22:17 as a reply to  @ jbergdoll's post |  #4

Jeff: Yeah, i do see what you mean with the light pole, and it was handheld out of looking for an angle, got close to staright as i thought :oops:. But yeah i came down and skated in that redbull contest at the Ice Palace, had a blast haha.

jberg: I honestly couldn't tell you if the colors were right, i either had my video card nudged or my monitor calibrated wrong, my colors are horribly off lately, bout time to update on that. And on the Comp note, i see how the tree's can distract from the main subject, it was difficult not to without being parallel with him or a higher vantage, tree's all around the area, and probably wasn't the best angle for that.

Thank you for the Critiquing. ;)

Flickr (external link)

jbergdoll
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 08, 2009 15:03 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Mothafizzy wrote in post #8420446 (external link)
jberg: I honestly couldn't tell you if the colors were right, i either had my video card nudged or my monitor calibrated wrong, my colors are horribly off lately, bout time to update on that. And on the Comp note, i see how the tree's can distract from the main subject, it was difficult not to without being parallel with him or a higher vantage, tree's all around the area, and probably wasn't the best angle for that.

Thank you for the Critiquing. ;)

It definitely looks like a tough place to shoot, everywhere around you is busy especially with that graffiti'd up wall in the background and to the right. Your shortcomings in the color on it is mainly just white balance. A bit too much on the purple side. That is a spot that I would shoot at night and light it up, assuming you've got a good lighting kit of at least 2 flashes. There always are those spots that are really tough to shoot... just gotta challenge yourself to think a bit more outside the box!

-Joseph
flickr (external link)
gear list

Addicted2Shooting
90 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 08, 2009 15:11 |  #6

Awesome shots, but if it were me I'd get closer to the stairs they were grinding and angle the camera so you get a good shot of the bottom of their board with the expressions on their faces behind it. Just another option you can take.

crayfish13
607 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 08, 2009 15:13 |  #7

I like em, maybe just a slightly tighter crop on both.
I think square format would look sick on the first

Location Canada | Canon 30D | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200mm f4L | Kit Lens | Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 | Kenko 1.4 extender | Manfrotto Tripod w/486RC2 | 430ex Flash |

Portfolio (external link)

GeminiZ
179 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 08, 2009 18:50 |  #8

closer crop from left side in would look better on number one. the branches from the palm trees seem distracting

7D, 400D - 24-70 f/2.8L - 70-200 f/2.8L - 50 f/1.2L - 40 f/2.8 - 10-22 f/3.5

taccca
170 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 08, 2009 20:58 |  #9

i dont know, it may just be me, but do they seem to be lacking motion ie a little fake, im not saying they are but they just seem to be lacking some speed or movement

Damien - Always keen to learn:D

jbergdoll
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 09, 2009 04:55 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

taccca wrote in post #8424639 (external link)
i dont know, it may just be me, but do they seem to be lacking motion ie a little fake, im not saying they are but they just seem to be lacking some speed or movement

The idea is to freeze action...

-Joseph
flickr (external link)
gear list

Mothafizzy
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 09, 2009 11:28 as a reply to  @ jbergdoll's post |  #11

Thank you for the feedback on these from everyone, it's greatly appreciated.

But now that i see my photos from another computer, it's almost not even the same photo, there is something wrong with my computer i suppose.

For the 2nd photo, i would have loved to light it up at night, but we we're only in Miami for a couple days, and i am limit to a single flash at this time haha. But, i'm pretty sure if i took the time i could have conjured a different/better angle for the comp overall.

As for the motion, it's hard to depict majorly an actionable subject when it's a simple ledge trick like these, but if your trying to think they just simply went up there and stood there while i took the picture, that is not the case ;)

Flickr (external link)

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,786 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 09, 2009 20:11 |  #12

First one is my favourite.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

taccca
170 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 09, 2009 20:50 |  #13

Mothafizzy wrote in post #8427030 (external link)
As for the motion, it's hard to depict majorly an actionable subject when it's a simple ledge trick like these, but if your trying to think they just simply went up there and stood there while i took the picture, that is not the case ;)

no im not trying to say these are fake, i skateboard aswell and i know these arent posed, im just saying that even though thay are composed well; that from a skaters perception they are frozen a little to much and dont quite appeal to me, maybe if you got lower that would add some more action/excitment

but thats just me, u may have been aiming for something different and thats fine, my skating shots that i PP'ed the life out of got raged to hell on here yet it was what my mates wanted and they liked them

Damien - Always keen to learn:D

Mothafizzy
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 09, 2009 22:35 as a reply to  @ taccca's post |  #14

Ha, i feel you man, i know what your saying, i honestly think that if was about a foot or less lower and a couple feet closer on the first, it would have been a better shot, but i know what your trying to get across, it's just a hard one to explain.

And it's really just ones perspective on it; some people prefer more tight framed comps, others may be more about a looser, foreground and brackground positive photo, to each their own man. Nothing will please everyone. I get different feedback on here than Skate Perception anyday, i like the harsher critiquing though.

Flickr (external link)

24alpha
Goldmember
1,031 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 10, 2009 06:48 |  #15

#1 definately needs to be straightened. cool shots though.

sponsored links

1,956 views & 0 likes for this thread
Skateboard Shots
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.