Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 10 Aug 2009 (Monday) 23:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

If you sell on ebay, they will use & catalog YOUR photo's unless you opt out!

Calindy
816 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 10, 2009 23:05 |  #1

You have to opt-out of this, or ebay will catalog & use YOUR photo's! Go here for more info:
http://www.powerseller​sunite.com/about28702.​html (external link)

If you do not like links, go to www.powersellersunite.​com (external link) and click on Ebay Auction Site Discussion (external link), you will see a discussion on this issue. --

You have until August 31, 2009 to OPT-OUT!!

Calindy
Photography is my Prozac!
Canon Digital EOS 7 D, Lenses: EF IS 100-400mm L USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM , Tamron 18-270 mm, Canon EF 50 mm F/1:4 USM, Tokina 11-16MM F/2.8 ATX 116 Lens, 430EX Canon Flash, Canon G 10 , Blackrapid R-7 Strap

sponsored links
Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 11, 2009 03:55 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Interesting...use them, as in how?

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,230 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 11, 2009 06:46 as a reply to  @ Karl Johnston's post |  #3

I'm not sure why this is such a bad idea. If the images being cataloged and pooled were personal artworks, etc. it would be an issue. However, if I understand correctly, what ebay is attempting to do is to create a catalog with pictures of widgets in it so that when somebody sells a widget they can pull from the pool. And normally speaking, the majority of images cataloged and pooled will be just that: pictures of widgets, underwear, and cans of Campbell's soup.

For example, I am considering selling a converted 20D and an unconverted 30D in the near future. It would be very nice to be able to pull an image or two from the pool (of these cameras) as opposed to going thru the hassle of creating good images. If I did create my own images, why would I care if those images are pooled? After the sale, what the heck can I do with them any way?

When you boil the meat down to soup, I think the real issue here is simply about the default setting. If the default were to opt-out, it would never be an issue. Images would not be pooled unless somebody specifically changed the setting.

Website (external link) |

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 11, 2009 07:10 |  #4

There's so much of the same being sold on eBay so having a catalogue of pooled 'product'/item shots would make it easier for some folks, though creating your own images could potentially set you apart from the other auctions. Unless it's original artwork you're flogging I don't see a problem cataloguing the everyday mundane items being auctioned. You could always watermark them ...hehehe

I;m sure some will opt out and will appreciate the heads up from the OP but I'm not going to make the effort. They can have my crappy shots.

Lindsey
Gear - Website (external link)

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 11, 2009 07:42 |  #5

Say I'm selling a Canon EOS-1VHS. The picture I take shows the currert roll count being around 678. Now somebody else comes along and sells an EOS-1VHS that really has a roll count of 923. Is it fair to the buyer that sees a roll count of 678 in the picture the seller got from the catalog when they are really getting sold a camera that has 923?

I think the biggest issue, is some people actually spend money to take good product photos themselves. As with any other photograph, it should be up to the photographer to how it gets used, not up to a company that says hey we like what you're doing... we're going to start using this unless you tell us it isn't OK.

As an opt-in service this is a great idea. As a service you have to opt-out of, it downright stinks.

Now it's time for me to go read what is being said...

Gear, Feedback (eBay (external link)), Web (external link), Blog (external link), FB (external link), Twitter (external link)

Calindy
THREAD ­ STARTER
816 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 11, 2009 15:45 |  #6

I sell Christopher Radko ornaments (actually, this is my last Christmas to do so and I am done with ebay). Anyway, I take the time to get the best shot of the ornament, depending on the ornament, this can take some time. When I saw that someone copied my photo for their auction, it did pi** me off! I took the time to make the best photo, and the other person just copied it. Some widgets I guess it would not be that big of deal, but others, it is, at least to me!

The idea that you have to opt out is not right either. If I had not gone to that other site (powersellers unite), I would not have known about it. Some may not care, but others might, and I am hoping that they at least know about it.

Calindy
Photography is my Prozac!
Canon Digital EOS 7 D, Lenses: EF IS 100-400mm L USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM , Tamron 18-270 mm, Canon EF 50 mm F/1:4 USM, Tokina 11-16MM F/2.8 ATX 116 Lens, 430EX Canon Flash, Canon G 10 , Blackrapid R-7 Strap

dan ­ j
Goldmember
1,575 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 11, 2009 16:25 |  #7

I don't sell much on Ebay, but I agree with the folks that don't want someone else using their photos, as well as the thought that I want to see what I am actually buying, not just a photo of what it could look like.

As I said, I don't sell much of anything, but I opted out on principle. I think they're going to run into usage issues too; you have to notify people before doing this stuff.

dan

5D Mark 2/24-70L/100-400L

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 11, 2009 16:35 |  #8

I went to change it and I was already opted out. Perhaps ebay is listening to people?

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 11, 2009 18:09 |  #9

I have yet to see an image on ebay worth fretting over. Including my own.

We are up in arms now, because they are only taking the images at this point. In 6 months I bet we all will be useing them rather than taking our own. And we will be glad they are there!

Images that show frame count will no doubt be thrown out. The same as ones that show serial numbers, or any other individually identifing details. They will most likley only keep a few front and rear 3/4 shots for each item anyway. I highly doubt they will make a someone choose from 4500 images of an item to add to thier listing.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,230 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 11, 2009 21:20 |  #10

dan j wrote in post #8441483 (external link)
I think they're going to run into usage issues too; you have to notify people before doing this stuff.

dan

They already have - in the terms of service you agreed to when you subscribed to use their service.

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,230 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 11, 2009 21:25 |  #11

Mark1 wrote in post #8442127 (external link)
Images that show frame count will no doubt be thrown out.

Although I don't know, I would tend to disagree based on one fact: opening each image in some sort of viewing application or another to check the file info could be horrendously labor intensive considering ebay's volume and activity. They would probably not want to incur that expense.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 11, 2009 21:26 |  #12

eBay is just mooching free stock photos. I put effort into my product images so I'll be damned if I want some lazy hack of a seller using them for nothin'. If they want a stock photo they need to go ask the manufacturer.

Every time I see a seller using my photo(s), I report the listing for a copyright violation so it gets pulled.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

black_z
Goldmember
1,211 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 11, 2009 21:32 |  #13

One of my competitors on eBay is ALREADY using one of my images. I contacted eBay about it and they said the HE had it before me, since his listing started before mine! WTH?! Dumbasses...

Canon 30D
Canon 50/1.8 100/2.8
Photos (external link)

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 11, 2009 21:50 |  #14

CannedHeat wrote in post #8443022 (external link)
Although I don't know, I would tend to disagree based on one fact: opening each image in some sort of viewing application or another to check the file info could be horrendously labor intensive considering ebay's volume and activity. They would probably not want to incur that expense.

So you think users will have to sift through 4500 images to pick one they like? There will definatley be some sort of sellection going on. How it will be done, I have no idea. But it will not be the first time a company has gone through every image on thier site. Facebook has a team, and that is all they do. They monitor images going up on facebook and are pulling anything that could be questionable/objection​able. And facebook has a lot more images than ebay has.

http://www.newsweek.co​m/id/195621 (external link)

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 12, 2009 07:16 |  #15

Calindy wrote in post #8441259 (external link)
I sell Christopher Radko ornaments (actually, this is my last Christmas to do so and I am done with ebay). Anyway, I take the time to get the best shot of the ornament, depending on the ornament, this can take some time. When I saw that someone copied my photo for their auction, it did pi** me off! I took the time to make the best photo, and the other person just copied it. Some widgets I guess it would not be that big of deal, but others, it is, at least to me!

I assume you have a signed property release for using your identifiable images for commercial purposes.

I looked at the exact wording:

Starting September 1, 2009, eBay will begin selecting sellers' photos for inclusion in the eBay product catalog. If your photo is chosen, an attribution including your user ID and a link to your profile page will be included on the product details page under your picture each time it's displayed. This attribution can give you significant additional exposure.

If you'd rather opt out of this program, please do so through My eBay as described here. To ensure your pictures are not considered for inclusion in the eBay product catalog starting September 1, you need to opt out by August 31, 2009 at 23:59:59 PT.

You can opt out any time after that as well, but any pictures we select starting September 1 during a time you are not opted out may continue to be used in the catalog at our discretion.

Hmm, i don't see anything about eBay will use your images, they are selecting images so Mark1 hit the nail on the head. eBay is also giving credit along with a link to your profile page so potentially there is opportunity for more exposure & sales, and you can opt-out if you don't like the concept. Seems eBay's approach is an honest attempt to help users access a catalog of photos for their listings.

So you opt-out from participating and potentially allowing eBay to select your images, what if you have a listing and there's already an ideal image that you can use? This image would save you time and effort, would you use it or would you really go out of your way to create an image of the exact same item? Wonder if there's any hypocrites in the audience?

Just curious on the response ;)

Lindsey
Gear - Website (external link)

sponsored links

2,198 views & 0 likes for this thread
If you sell on ebay, they will use & catalog YOUR photo's unless you opt out!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.